Limit Straps and rock star skids for JKU?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ok so these look to cost about as much as shorter shocks. Any advantage to using these with longer shocks over just going to shorter shocks?

And has everyone here who uses the rock star skids intentionally searched for shorter shocks to go along with their install? Thanks again....

Did you read my previous post?

What shocks are you running? You might look at getting shorter length shocks. I am running 4" rancho shocks in the front and 3" in the rear because of the rock stars. Essentially they are the same length since the shock is raised in the rear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so these look to cost about as much as shorter shocks. Any advantage to using these with longer shocks over just going to shorter shocks?

And has everyone here who uses the rock star skids intentionally searched for shorter shocks to go along with their install? Thanks again....

The advantage is that a longer shock will allow for a greater amount of droop. The down side is that if your coils aren't designed for that much droop, they will fall out. When I ran Rock Stars, I just made sure to run them with a shorter shock. Most everyone I know has done the same.

Cadima

Did you read my previous post?

Yeah I saw your post, curious if others did the same. Guys I ran into locally with them on I dont think even thought to check the shock clearances after installing the rock stars. Im betting lots of folks just slap them on and dont look back at the shocks.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Yeah I saw your post, curious if others did the same. Guys I ran into locally with them on I dont think even thought to check the shock clearances after installing the rock stars. Im betting lots of folks just slap them on and dont look back at the shocks.
if you don't have the boots on your shocks, you can see a dust line on the shaft. if it's shiny all the way down, you may need to add taller bump stops. or i guess measure how much shaft you have at ride heights and compare it to how much space is between your bump stop and top jounce holder.

olram30

ORE had this picture on Facebook, really makes it easy if you can fit these.

Attachments

• 1407857361572.jpg
    1407857361572.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 162

sempermarc

Limiting straps

Does it hurt anything for the front coils to slide around out of the little pocket were the end of the coil is seated? I have an AEV 3.5 inch lift with Bilstein 5100s and when I am all flexed out the front springs turn. I have not noticed any difference in handling but I can hear the springs. Any ideas on how to remedy this or is it a non-issue. :hmm:

olram30

Does it hurt anything for the front coils to slide around out of the little pocket were the end of the coil is seated? I have an AEV 3.5 inch lift with Bilstein 5100s and when I am all flexed out the front springs turn. I have not noticed any difference in handling but I can hear the springs. Any ideas on how to remedy this or is it a non-issue. :hmm:

Maybe some lower spring retainers just to keep them from moving, but your shocks are too long or springs are too short.

SarahLu

I have a JKU on 3.5" long arm with Bilstein 5100s. We just put the Rockstars on last weekend and I was wondering if I needed the retainer clips. Are those better/equal to the limiting straps?

Top Bottom