Locking Hubs and Water!

bhaner

Just a reminder for those that have locking hubs... If you drive through water... Service them. I forgot after Fordyce last year... My drivers side was full of rust. Bad enough that I am now replacing the bearings. :icon_crazy:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Just a reminder for those that have locking hubs... If you drive through water... Service them. I forgot after Fordyce last year... My drivers side was full of rust. Bad enough that I am now replacing the bearings. :icon_crazy:

Ughh, that sucks. You would think that they would seal tighter than that.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
Ugh, that sucks. I ordered a servicing kit from Warn ahead of time a couple weeks ago to check mine out - hopefully they're ok....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not gonna lie, I've never service my hubs after a deep water crossing. Haven't really seen it to be a problem but I have little doubt that the more love you give components, they longer they will last.

bhaner

I was a little bummed on how little grease was in the hub from Dynatrac. Not just in the locking part.. But in the wheel bearings as well.

The bearings had gotten hot at one point and turned black.

I had to use a puller to get the big bearing off.

I am just glad it didn't ruin the spindle.

I will be doing a yearly service on the bearings and hubs from now on.

bhaner

Is there difference in service requirements for Dynatrac vs Warn hubs?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dynatrac said 30k miles for normal service. More frequent for severe service.

The dynatrac hubs are quite a bit different than the warn. But it is mostly just cleaning the parts and adding grease.

I have a service document I will try to share.

Ddays

Hooked
I was a little bummed on how little grease was in the hub from Dynatrac. Not just in the locking part.. But in the wheel bearings as well.

The bearings had gotten hot at one point and turned black.

I had to use a puller to get the big bearing off.

I am just glad it didn't ruin the spindle.

I will be doing a yearly service on the bearings and hubs from now on.

Grease is cheap. Kinda like skimping of roofing nails. How much are you really saving? Slather the shit out of them. I don't think there is such a thing as too much grease?

bhaner

Grease is cheap. Kinda like skimping of roofing nails. How much are you really saving? Slather the shit out of them. I don't think there is such a thing as too much grease?

True story! I know the warn hubs don't like a lot of grease. But these dynatrac hubs don't seem to care. I put a "liberal" amount per the directions. :D

Ddays

Hooked
I thing people are so used to the unit bearings that servicing hubs and the bearings is forgotten.

Brute

Hooked
I would say it is a concern with any locking hub. It didn't take much moisture at all to cause all kinds of rust.

It's my own fault for not checking them over the last two years.

The primary problem with entering water with hot axles is due to the expansion of metal due to heat, then a rapid cooling that occurs when dunking into water, causing the metal to contract rapidly which also causes a vacuum to suck water inside. Whenever I towed my boat to a launch, we always allowed the trailer to cool for a half hour prior to dunking into the ocean...

bhaner

The primary problem with entering water with hot axles is due to the expansion of metal due to heat, then a rapid cooling that occurs when dunking into water, causing the metal to contract rapidly which also causes a vacuum to suck water inside. Whenever I towed my boat to a launch, we always allowed the trailer to cool for a half hour prior to dunking into the ocean...

Yep. Boat trailers were the reason I learned how to pack bearings at like 5 years old...

Spazbyt

Hooked

I agree 100%. I even unplug my trailer lights for the same reason (Unless they are LED).

bhaner

Learned something new today! Dynatrac has a 5 year warranty on the Dynaloc hubs!

I called in because I had some wear on the inner and outer locks. I completely expected to have to pay for a whole set of hubs because I did something dumb at one point when the hub wasn't fully locked...

Nope! New parts on the way free of charge.

It's nice to be surprised like that now and then. :D

Good job Dynatrac! :thumb:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Learned something new today! Dynatrac has a 5 year warranty on the Dynaloc hubs!

I called in because I had some wear on the inner and outer locks. I completely expected to have to pay for a whole set of hubs because I did something dumb at one point when the hub wasn't fully locked...

Nope! New parts on the way free of charge.

It's nice to be surprised like that now and then. :D

Good job Dynatrac! :thumb:

You just have to wait 6 months for it? 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom