LoD Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited Signature Series Rock Sliders Installation Write-Up

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I called LOD about the installation trouble, lack of hardware, and they were less than helpful, to say the least. Supposedly the missing hardware is on the way, but as far as the installation goes, I got an overly grumpy incomprehensible explanation hurled at me my a "Chris" who clearly thought I was an idiot.

In fact, I learned they don't do returns, period. I am been alive 53 years and this is the first company I have run into that does no returns. It does say they don't do them on their website, but to me this seems a bit inflexible, and frankly it never occurred to me to look for that, since like I said in 53 years every single company I have dealt with has done returns. I was told it was because they, in so many words, have been burned by people improperly packing the items for return, and that then they are out the dollars on the return, the shipping, and the item.

This makes little sense, to me at least. First, they (the first guy, not Chris, to be precise) said I would have to pay the return shipping, and I am fine with that and said so, so the return shipping costing them money is not a valid argument. On the rest, why not return it conditional on the items arriving in resale worthy condition? I would certainly take that deal. I have the original packaging, and used to be a mover. I'd bet I could get it there safer than they got it here. Their box actually come apart. No, in my opinion, as my wife says, there is a simple reason this is the only company we have ever run across that takes no returns, and it needs no articulation.

On top of all this they considered my reason for wanting to return them unworthy. If you all notice, every picture on their website is from an angle that makes them look good installed, mostly from a low-angle looking up. When they are on, you are almost always standing and looking at them, or in another car ... that is, looking down. These sliders look pretty rough installed from that angle, in my opinion.

These are just my opinions and experiences, but you might consider them when making your own purchase decision. I wish I had known all of this before I made my first, last, and only dealing with them. There is never a good reason to be rude to the customer.

I LOVE mine and had no issues with installing in my driveway without even jacking up the jeep...
IMO They look great from every angle, tough as hell, and can take a hit like a champ. :dont_know:

rctsiel

Installed these today. I too love the look of the LoD rock sliders from all angles. A couple of comments about the install that might help others...
1) Get yourself a Klein 5 1/2-inch ratcheting refrigeration wrench from Amazon to use when tapping. The wrench will accept four different shank sizes sizes so will accept the standard size of your tap shank. Made tapping the threads super easy compared to the crescent wrench setup used in the picture. Seriously this little wrench is even better than the really expensive ratcheting tap handles for situations like this. Also get a decent set of taps and matching drill bit. I bought the Irwin 2640- 3piece high carbon steel - tap 7/16"-20NF tap set with 3 taps (taper, bottoming and plug ends), and the Bosch CO2152 25/64-inch cobalt SP Jobber Drill bit (2 of them just in case) from Amazon.
2) Get a can of fast drying white primer paint. After dry fitting the slider to the frame, checking it three times and then checking it again, spray each of holes you need to drill and tap. Let the paint dry then mark with a short sharp pencil carefully tracing the edges of the wholes in the slider.
The white paint makes a good contrasting background for the pencil mark and for me makes marking the dot for the center punch much easier to get correct.
3) Get a spring loaded automatic center punch for putting the dimple in the center of the circle marking your drill whole. Pump it 10 or 15 times being careful it stays in the same whole. Much MUCH easier than a regular center punch and hammer.
4) Get some Tap Magic thread cutting oil. Use it for drilling and for tapping the threads. Put some of the Tap Magic in a small cup and dip the drill bit and tap in it often during use.
5) To clarify another earlier post that I read... the middle mounting tab on the slider goes below (ground side) of the transfer case skid plate (not between the skid plate and frame). The directions state that you may need to use spacers on the front and back bolts. I used two additional washers on the front and both rear underside bolts to make up for the thickness of the skid plate on the middle slider mounting tab. So before you start the install, make sure you have at least 12 (six for each side) more washers like the ones that come with the LoD package to use as spacers if needed.
6) Drilling and tapping the two underside rear bolt holes will be your hardest of all them. I had to use the floor jack against the drill method to get the holes drilled. I just couldn't get enough pressure on the drill any other way while laying under the Jeep.
7) While using the floor jack and boards to support the slider for fitting and marking the bolt holes might work okay... I found that placing a concrete block on each end of the slider with short thin boards for spacers as needed to hold it up against the frame rail snuggly was much better to hold the slider up for marking drill holes and then again when mounting. The blocks on both ends made the slider more stable and supported it more securely with no balancing act. I did not have to worry about the whole thing falling on top of me while I was under the Jeep putting bolts in and making the many minor adjustments required to get the proper placement for marking/installing.

Hope these tips are useful. The LoD sliders are fantastic. The slider is heavy duty, securely mounted, offers great under and side protection, provides a very nice step that let's me get in my Jeep with 35's and a 4" lift much easier, and looks great.

r1owner

I just did this a week ago and didn't have any issues drilling the holes. I did have to persuade the skid plate down so that the mounting flange of the slider could sit against the frame. The rear mount wouldn't sit flush against the frame because the gap between the skid plate and frame was too small. I pried down the lip of the skid plate to slide the slider in. I don't have a picture to clear it up. Don't know if that helps.

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the late reply. I ended up having to cut a couple of small notches in the gas tank skid to allow access to those lower bolts. Skids can definitely take a hit though.

brooklyn4x4

Just installed these on my 2 Dr yesterday the write up was a great help thanks Eddie. Having the right drill bit and tap made things easy, definitely harder the a 5 tire rotation but not bad at all especially with a buddy to help hold the other side up when your trying to test fit. Love the look and can't wait to get them on the trail.

Attachments

• 1468546025938.jpg
    1468546025938.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 252

deezus

I couldn't find the 7/16 nf20 kit. I also watched on another install video that said that a 25/64 drill bit was better? Is that true?

jpone

These look great. Definitely next on the upgrade list! Has anyone welded them on? Any feedback on that. Seems easier and potentially stronger?

swampdog

These look great. Definitely next on the upgrade list! Has anyone welded them on? Any feedback on that. Seems easier and potentially stronger?

I bolted them on to ensure proper alignment (every other bolt) and then welded them on. I have dropped the weight of the jeep on the slider multiple times and not a bend or dent in them yet. A+, would recommend.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the write-up. Great pics. We're doing this in the next couple days. We'll be welding them on, but the pictures here are still really helpful.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
LoD Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited Signature Series Rock Sliders Installation Wri...

It's hard to find a 25/64" drill bit for the 7/16" NF20 tap. I couldn't find the tap and the bit together. I guess I'll push the installation off another week.

IMG_1476641826.508780.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom