Lowe's To Sell Craftsman Tools

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I have a Mix of Craftsman & Husky... I think Husky has stepped it up. I also have 2 of their rollaways and they are Good quality... Craftsman at Lowes is Awesome!... closer drive than Sears [emoji1360]

View attachment 280896
I have the same currently, Craftsman and Husky for sockets, ratchets, and wrenches. The Husky pro stuff I actually really like and it hasn't let me down. The other hand tools are knipex and a few others.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Ah, you've got one of them Sears home stores. We have one too but like yours, it sucks. I am surprised that you still have a K-mart though. I thought they all closed a long time ago.

One of the last remaining Super-K's, one I grew up going to as a kids, closed not to long ago. Just another big retail facility abandoned and turning decrepit. Sad. The last time I was in a Kmart, maybe 10 years ago now, it was dingy, dirty, poorly lit. Nearby, a Target: bright, fresh, clean. Hmm.

For those not local, you should've seen the Kmart headquarters, in Troy (IIRC). Huge, sprawling thing. Yet another asset spun off over the years.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
I abandoned Craftsman a decade-plus ago. Quality just isn't there. Over the years, bought a mix of S&K, some snap-on, and then I discovered Kobalt. I like Kobalt. Haven't had any issues. I hope they carry them in parallel (probably won't) for a while. Craftsman quality isn't going to come back overnight.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Gearwrench make nice tools at reasonable price

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Agreed. While I still love walking through the ghost town that is sears to look for tools I mainly find good ‘middle of the road’ brands online like gearwrench. Tough to even find American made tools these days unless you are ok with selling body parts to the snap on guy.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hot94Z28

I wonder what’s going to happen to their Kenmore brand? My wife likes their brand and we have a overhead microwave, and a double oven. She was wanting a fridge, and dishwasher to match.

Our Sears is a big one and we go there and check stuff out all the time. Also have a Kmart and I have no idea how it stays open. I say we have one but it 40 miles away lol, we live in a rural area so everything is a drive.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I wonder what’s going to happen to their Kenmore brand? My wife likes their brand and we have a overhead microwave, and a double oven. She was wanting a fridge, and dishwasher to match.

Our Sears is a big one and we go there and check stuff out all the time. Also have a Kmart and I have no idea how it stays open. I say we have one but it 40 miles away lol, we live in a rural area so everything is a drive.

I would imagine they’ll sell off Kenmore, just like Craftsman.

Some people think all businesses are rich, and robbing the public, but Sears is a good example of how hard it is to stay in businesses. It was once the largest retailer around. Now it’s gasping it’s last breaths. Anyone remember Kodak? Kodak was once one of the largest stocks in the Dow Jones 30.

TheGrendel

I abandoned Craftsman a decade-plus ago. Quality just isn't there. Over the years, bought a mix of S&K, some snap-on, and then I discovered Kobalt. I like Kobalt. Haven't had any issues. I hope they carry them in parallel (probably won't) for a while. Craftsman quality isn't going to come back overnight.

problem with Kobalt is their "lifetime warranty" is anything but. just google people's experiences trying to get a broken Kobalt tool replaced. most of the time, you're gonna get screwed.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
problem with Kobalt is their "lifetime warranty" is anything but. just google people's experiences trying to get a broken Kobalt tool replaced. most of the time, you're gonna get screwed.

Who knows whether Craftsman’s warranty will still be good, but at least they’ll be around, and be made in the States.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Who knows whether Craftsman’s warranty will still be good, but at least they’ll be around, and be made in the States.

Most craftsman stuff I’ve seen in the past 5 years or so has been made in either China or Taiwan. Quality has been mixed. Their ratchets are crap in my experience. Sure they will replace a broken one, but not with a new one. Just a “rebuilt” one. And you have to actually go into their store — one of the most infuriating experiences imaginable — just to do it. Hate to say it, but I’ve had better experience with Harbor Freight. Warranty exchanges no questions asked, and their prices are low. Some of their stuff is made in Taiwan, probably by the same factory that makes Kobalt, Gearwrench, etc., and has been good quality in my experience.

Realized I typed like 5+ paragraphs of anti Chinese tools and how much I hate Lowe’s/Home Depot.

Good thing I never clicked send. Looked like a complete wacko. lol

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Some local Ace hardware stores are selling Craftsman tools.

Sent from my LG-P769 using WAYALIFE mobile app
If you're looking for the American made Craftsman it looks to me like the only place you can really get them is online. I believe the American made are now sold as Craftsman Industrial at least that's what I've found..

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I would imagine they’ll sell off Kenmore, just like Craftsman.

Some people think all businesses are rich, and robbing the public, but Sears is a good example of how hard it is to stay in businesses. It was once the largest retailer around. Now it’s gasping it’s last breaths. Anyone remember Kodak? Kodak was once one of the largest stocks in the Dow Jones 30.

Sears has been mismanaged for years. Kodak lost out to the digital image revolution.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Realized I typed like 5+ paragraphs of anti Chinese tools and how much I hate Lowe’s/Home Depot.

Good thing I never clicked send. Looked like a complete wacko. lol

I’m a guy who doesn’t step foot in Walmart, have a mix of S-K, Wright, Klein and a few other USA made tools, and end up ordering tools, clothing and a lot of other stuff from the web to ensure its quality, American made goods.

My wife thinks I’m a loony zealot. She’s probably right.

I’m a guy who doesn’t step foot in Walmart, have a mix of S-K, Wright, Klein and a few other USA made tools, and end up ordering tools, clothing and a lot of other stuff from the web to ensure its quality, American made goods.

My wife thinks I’m a loony zealot. She’s probably right.

Tottaly dude. I’m a stickler for American made (quality) products.

Life rule # 1. Never step foot into a Walmart. Home Depot/Lowe’s are the hardware store equivalent. As long as you own it being a looney toon your good. Haha

Last edited:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
We still have a couple Sears within 30 mins North or South of us and also a little “hometown” store about 10 minutes away. And up until 2-3 years ago we had a Sears Hardware, which sucked overall, but had the BEST Craftsman selection I’d ever seen. I have mostly Craftsman tools, about 10 years ago the local store had a $700+ Craftsman Professional set on sale and then had additional mark downs on top of that and I walked out of there with it for around $350-375 if I remember correctly. So I have a lot of the full polished combo wrenches and ratchets, easy-read sockets in all 3 sizes, both metric and standard. And a lot of other hand tools were included. The set has served me well. It seems like Craftsman is moving away from the “professional” line and its a shame because that line, especially the chrome hand tools, were a really nice value and I thought worth the extra $. I’ve recently been buying GearWrench to supplement my existing tools off of Amazon and find the brand comparable and very nice for the $. It’s not Snap-On but it doesn’t cost anywhere near as much either. All that said, I’m happy to hear that Craftsman is coming to Lowe’s. I don’t really look at the Kobalt stuff unless I need something for one time use on the cheap, which is pretty rare. Same goes for Husky. So maybe Craftsman can win back a little of my business by bringing back some quality tools and this new easy access.

As far as Sears goes, they just don’t do any one thing well enough to thrive in the age of the internet and online shopping. And they try to do too many things as well. So to me it’s no surprise they’re struggling and most likely will continue to. They’re not the best at anything anymore. And when you’re trying to be a Kohl’s, Lowe’s, Sherwin-Williams, Famous Footwear, Toys R Us, all under one roof carrying a fraction of what any of those stores do in today’s world, it’s just not a good business model any more. If they have any assets left, they better sell them too and close up shop.

Top Bottom