MagLite Flashlight Seat Mount Write-Up

Deathmask

I can't wait to do this, it'll be so much better than my mag light rolling around making noise under my seat.

TrailBadger

Maglite Flashlight Re-Write

I was surprised to learn that the company has an account with Grainger and in doing so, they had to run down the block from the closest location to buy a few shop products. While there my wife, was given the Maglite mounting clips after informing the counter person we’ve just bought a new 2017 Wrangler.

tumblr_ou681i9u2D1ws7zuio1_500.jpg

We already had the 20+ year old Maglite, and now the clips. yet we didn’t know what was the best way to attach the Maglite in the jeep. I did some searching and found a site called Project JK which described how they though these Maglite clips should be mounted. The pans were simple enough except for one critical flaw.. The door had to be open in order to retrieve the flashlight.

tumblr_inline_ou67luOZpL1uh4rc9_1280.jpg

Holding the Maglite in the general location as the image above shows, We concluded that the seat adjust handle would hinder ones ability to retrieve the Maglite from inside the vehicle. We opted to swap sides to mount the Maglite but include a relocation mounting plate which holds the Maglite in a more accessible orientation.

tumblr_inline_ou67qc5Hhd1uh4rc9_1280.jpg

Two plates where created, drilled and fitted. Then sent to the shop, where as they sanded and then forwarded these plates to the painters.

tumblr_inline_ou67sfTdto1uh4rc9_1280.jpg

One week has passed and we’re still waiting on the completion of these plates. In the image above, you can see the last stage of these plates just for reference and the correct orientation of the flashlights. The odd thing here, Is that Project JK drilled holes in the seat frame rails to mount their clips. In our case we simply drilled holes in our plate to match up with preexisting holes in the frame rail.

tumblr_inline_ou67xpjN4e1uh4rc9_1280.jpg

The Maglite mounting plate has been doing very well, but as I said above, one of the plastic clips (after the first use) broke, Thus we'll be turning our attention toward an alternate clip (maybe pipe clip?) or a differ retainment setup to keep the flash light in place. Maglite found out about the broken clip issue and they said they would send us a new clip set. I informed them I did not want these clips on the jeep, because they simply would not hold up to constant use or abuse.

CAZ4l-d5So-awR5T71kzwQ

Our plate was designed to work either on the drivers side or passenger side seat frame rail, But with the seat adjustment handle in the way of extracting the flashlight from a seated position, we've elected to mount it on the passenger side. We didn't want to drill any more holes and try to utilize preexisting hole located on the rail. We ended up locating the RuggedRidge Flashlight clips which are far stronger than the plastic maglite clips.

Side note to this, I was asked if a small kidde fire extinguisher can be mounted on this instead of a flashlight, tested this yesterday and there is enough room to mount a small extinguisher on the plate. But one would need to watch the extinguisher's orientation on the plate as the safety pin could be extracted inadvertently, thus discharging the extinguisher

8ec9a635c32dc42c7f69628c876d82d3.JPG

785fbf20fb2890104210980a096b56f7.JPG

In other words, avoid those plastic clips as they have broken or will break and head straight for RuggedRidge versions.

This custom maglite or small fire extinguisher mounting plate can be acquired form our new friends over at: http://www.molle-platform-solutions.com

Last edited:
Top Bottom