Mail Call - 1975 Jeep DJ5

WJCO

Meme King
So badass watching you go through this thing. What a cool Jeep. Ms Cleo predicts a plasma cutter in your future.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Actually, that floor board doesn't look nearly as bad as I've seen them. I bet a lot of the metal is still pretty solid. You could easily cut out the parts that have rusted through and the surrounding areas and then just patch it with new steel. You can then treat the rest of the floor pan with some POR15.

I’ll text you some better pictures when I get it cleaned up at some point and see what you think.

What’s the tube from the bottom of the carb intake back to the block for?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That could be it. It’s just like a dryer hose. I’ve never had a carb motor before so trying to figure it all out.

Okay, is it kind of a big accordian like hose? Like maybe 2" in diameter? If so, it's for emissions and should connect to the bottom of your air cleaner. It provides heat to a valve that opens up when your at operating temps. Of course, you really don't need to worry about this shit being that you have a 75.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Okay, is it kind of a big accordian like hose? Like maybe 2" in diameter? If so, it's for emissions and should connect to the bottom of your air cleaner. It provides heat to a valve that opens up when your at operating temps. Of course, you really don't need to worry about this shit being that you have a 75.

Here are some pictures

The hose

IMG_7084.jpg

Where it connects to the intake

IMG_7085.jpg

Where it connects to the motor

IMG_7086.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
That smaller shiny one? It's a heated air inlet. If you can get by without it, great. But it will help with cold starts before the choke fully opens.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah that’s the one. Where would it pull heated air from if everything is cold? Or am I retarded.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

As long as the vehicle starts, the air heats up quickly and pumps through that hose into the air cleaner. Inside that air cleaner is a metal door that opens allowing the hot air in. Once the engine reaches a good temp, the door closes and no longer needs the hot air and rather just sucks ambient air from outside through that snorkel opening. I'll try to find a diagram. Just like a lawnmower runs like shit when it's cold out, this feature helps the engine run well faster and sooner. Hot air atomizes fuel way faster than cold air.

As long as the vehicle starts, the air heats up quickly and pumps through that hose into the air cleaner. Inside that air cleaner is a metal door that opens allowing the hot air in. Once the engine reaches a good temp, the door closes and no longer needs the hot air and rather just sucks ambient air from outside through that snorkel opening. I'll try to find a diagram. Just like a lawnmower runs like shit when it's cold out, this feature helps the engine run well faster and sooner. Hot air atomizes fuel way faster than cold air.

You missed the 2nd question....

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Ah makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yup, this ^^^^

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

WJCO

Meme King

Lol.

Here's some pics, but I doubt they'll help you. Nobody does this crazy shit anymore. But I think from the pictures, you'll understand.

0900c152801db26f.jpg

heatfil8.gif

heatfil10.jpg

Your best bet is to hook it up and see if it works. If it's been colder out, and Jeep starts fine, don't worry about it.

Top Bottom