MAKE SURE to be in MANUAL SHIFT when Wheeling in 4LO

Brute

Hooked
:cheesy:

Really? I can't say that I've ever experienced anything like sudden and complete power loss with my LS in full auto.

Believe me, on an obstacle like Slide Rock, it is.

I should note that unlike the JK, the transmission doesn't so much as shift - it just momentarily looses all power. It's like it wants to shift but then doesn't.

LOL!! And that's another rant I'll have to make. As much as I love the new 8-speed auto, it doesn't compression brake with a hill of beans. It just revs up the engine real loud and then lets go. I'm hoping there's a software fix for this in the future.

Compression braking can be a big deal on a real long steep descent...otherwise brake fade as things get real hot is an issue

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
If I’m reading this correctly I’ve had something similar happen to me in my 2016 rubicon. I was going up a large sand hill and it just lost power and motor turned off. I was under the impression that it had to do with the traction control.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScoobyCarolanNC

I had asked about this in another thread! I’m assuming the computer is miscalculating what is happening & it’s more shift happy now w/ 8 gears while the JK would have stuck it out because the next gear was so much taller. Was it like a stall or the torque converter was slipping? I’ve taken mine out once & while it was no moab I just didn’t feel like it was in the right gear while in auto.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Compression braking can be a big deal on a real long steep descent...otherwise brake fade as things get real hot is an issue

Oh, I agree. I think that maybe Jeep thinks you should be using the hill assist instead. Of course, that uses the brakes :crazyeyes:

If I’m reading this correctly I’ve had something similar happen to me in my 2016 rubicon. I was going up a large sand hill and it just lost power and motor turned off. I was under the impression that it had to do with the traction control.

It is momentary but during that moment, there is a complete loss of power.

I had asked about this in another thread! I’m assuming the computer is miscalculating what is happening & it’s more shift happy now w/ 8 gears while the JK would have stuck it out because the next gear was so much taller. Was it like a stall or the torque converter was slipping? I’ve taken mine out once & while it was no moab I just didn’t feel like it was in the right gear while in auto.

I was like a governor kicked in and for a moment, there simply was no power.

BdugJK

Man this was a good thread. Being newer to this I never knew and I will be shift my auto to "manual" mode more often now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man this was a good thread. Being newer to this I never knew and I will be shift my auto to "manual" mode more often now.

I should note that I NEVER experienced this on our 2012 JK which has an automatic. That being said, using manual on harder obstacles is a good idea.

JMFK

I'm not sure Jeep is willing to acknowledge this is a problem. Fortunately, being in manual mode will prevent the power cut out from happening.

Glad to know there is an “issues” with the JL. After reading this my fear of missing out on the JL is gone and you saved me $50k.[emoji51]

Or maybe I will just buy one anyway... It is just money after all. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
I should note that I NEVER experienced this on our 2012 JK which has an automatic. That being said, using manual on harder obstacles is a good idea.

I'm not sure Jeep is willing to acknowledge this is a problem. Fortunately, being in manual mode will prevent the power cut out from happening.

I can barely remember to listen to my spotter....now I need to remember to be in manual mode, which gear, and to know what is a “harder” obstacle. [emoji51] I realize this isnt a huge deal, but I got an auto for a reason.

I’m not a total noob, but still close and this is something I hope Jeep does acknowledge and maybe even resolve.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can barely remember to listen to my spotter....now I need to remember to be in manual mode, which gear, and to know what is a “harder” obstacle. [emoji51] I realize this isnt a huge deal, but I got an auto for a reason.

I’m not a total noob, but still close and this is something I hope Jeep does acknowledge and maybe even resolve.

:cheesy: Funny you should say as much but having to remember all this is a lot like wheeling a manual only, the later is a lot easier for me being that it's second nature. Jeep is aware of the problem but whether or not they'll do anything about it is another issue all together.

JAGS

Hooked
:cheesy: Funny you should say as much but having to remember all this is a lot like wheeling a manual only, the later is a lot easier for me being that it's second nature. Jeep is aware of the problem but whether or not they'll do anything about it is another issue all together.

I’ve never driven a manual as a daily, let alone on the trail. Certainly won’t be second nature for a while, especially since this wasn’t needed in my JK. I’ll just need to get used to it quick.

jesse3638

Hooked
I’ve never driven a manual as a daily, let alone on the trail. Certainly won’t be second nature for a while, especially since this wasn’t needed in my JK. I’ll just need to get used to it quick.

Trade you for a week so you can learn..haha. You can choose my JK or my new Sentra. The Sentra will net you and average combined fuel economy of 32-33 mpg..;)

JAGS

Hooked
Trade you for a week so you can learn..haha. You can choose my JK or my new Sentra. The Sentra will net you and average combined fuel economy of 32-33 mpg..;)

Ha ha. 32-33 [emoji33] that’s great. But we’ll see what kind of mileage it gets off road. [emoji23]

Geronimo

I first heard of this shifting issue while watching the Moab videos that Cindy and Eddie made (absolutely excellent by the way). I was wondering if most folks "wheel" in 4LO drive. The only time I'm ever in 4LO drive is if there happens to be a fairly long flat area from A to B then I'm usually back in manual mode. I've just always preferred having that control, and as mentioned it is a second nature thing after while. Have not taken delivery of our JLUR yet (supposed to be this week) but I was thinking I may never have noticed this "anomaly" in 4LO drive.

Not sure if I'm doing if right but I'm always in 2wd as long as I can then 4hi and then 4lo when I need it. When I was first learning to off road my teacher was always in 4lo on the dirt. I personally thought that was over kill. I have noticed where a lot of people are in 4hi I can still do those sections of trail in 2wd. I do use the manual mode in my JK a lot on the trail. Maybe because this is my first 4x4 with an automatic.

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
Not sure if I'm doing if right but I'm always in 2wd as long as I can then 4hi and then 4lo when I need it. When I was first learning to off road my teacher was always in 4lo on the dirt. I personally thought that was over kill. I have noticed where a lot of people are in 4hi I can still do those sections of trail in 2wd. I do use the manual mode in my JK a lot on the trail. Maybe because this is my first 4x4 with an automatic.

Sure you can do trails in 2wd that others do in 4hi. Problem is trail damage. A lot of times, not always, you spin the wheels in 2wd where as in 4hi you won't. It gives you better traction and more control with out unnecessarily tearing up the trail . 4lo gives you even more control. Rule of thumb I use is 4hi where I need traction and momentum ie..sand and mud and I use 4lo where I need traction but with more precise control ie..rocks, recovery (self or others).

Last edited:
Top Bottom