Making the B Pillar removable on a 4 door.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
No. I bought a 20" Wetsounds sound bar I'll install on the rear upper C pillar cross bar facing forward. Thats the plan, I'll have to see how the head room with rear seats works out. While the soundbar doesnt have as much low end as the factory sound bar, I do have a factory rear sub, so I hope it ballances out OK. The factory sound bar can be reinstalled, but takes some cutting to make it work. The wetsounds bar will be a cleaner look.

Also No on the trim. I'll finish bed lining the inside where trim was. I may keep some around the windshield frame. The sun visors kind of tie into the trim. I'll just have to see what I end up doing with it.

This cage is obviously much heavier, taking the trim and seat belts out it may not end up being heavier in the end. I am keeping track of the weights so I'll have an actual answer soon.

Gotcha. I’m interested to see the WetSounds bar installed. Please post that up when you get it done. I did the same cage (minus the x-bar) and went back and forth on what I wanted to do for speakers and ended up re-installing the factory sound bar which also gave me the dome light back. Most of the trim I was able to get back in (with a bit of Dremel work) except for the upper B-pillar.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

98XJ06LJ

Build is looking good! Excellent Fab skills. Keep the updates coming. What seats are you going back with?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Turn your heat up, you may have been moving to fast for the first half. Also since you can only weld on one side here, put a good bevel on the plate and make a couple passes.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I realized later that a bevel would have been better. I did weld both sides of the bottom tab, though, so I think together the two are solid enough for what I need. IMG_0942.jpg

maskale

Build is looking good! Excellent Fab skills. Keep the updates coming. What seats are you going back with?

Corbeau XRS, with 5 point harness. I have to build seat frames for them yet. Gonna try and use what I can of the stock frames and sliders.

Thanks to for those that like it..........a fair amount of work left yet, but its coming.

maskale

Welded out, a few custom finishing touches left that I'll tackle during the week.

IMG-1092.jpg

IMG-1091.jpg

IMG-1094.jpg

IMG-1096.jpg

IMG-1097.jpg

IMG-1100.jpg

IMG-1105.jpg

IMG-1107.jpg

IMG-1109.jpg

maskale

The rear grab handles pictured above are angled in vs straight with the B piller to offer some knuckle protection, if they are used when they shouldn't be.

The front grab handles are welded to A piller and the A pillar cross bar, vs welding on the A to B bar. Keep the hand well inside. Does not obstruct view.

IMG-1101.jpg

IMG-1102.jpg

IMG-1113.jpg

maskale

These plates are supposed to weld to the top of the A-pillar. But if you ever fold the windshield down the plates are left there sticking out. So instead I am going to weld plate in the open hole and install a threaded sleave that the windshild plate will bolt too. So then the cage will be smooth and the plates can be removed from the folded down windshield.

IMG-1110.jpg

IMG-1111.jpg

The mirror is blocked some by the V bars.

IMG-1112.jpg

SLO

Assuming you are still planning to have the B-pillars bolt back in? Curious to see how that works. Also, is that the Genright cage with custom adds or all Genright pieces?

maskale

Assuming you are still planning to have the B-pillars bolt back in? Curious to see how that works. Also, is that the Genright cage with custom adds or all Genright pieces?

Yes the B pillars will bolt back in. That’s one of the things I need to work on. Genright sent threaded sleeves for the seat belts. These sleeves were suppose to weld into the tube. I didn’t use them and welded the holes up. So I plan to use two of those sleeves at the top where the B pillar will bolt to the cage. It will also bolt at the bottom in two places.

The cage has all of the options. Nothing is technically custom from them.

The add ons are the V bars, X-brace and two pairs of handles.

Top Bottom