Manual vs. Automatic

xxJWPxx

Both of my JK's have been manual trans. I just prefer it over automatic.

As for re-gear I went from 3.73 and 35's to 4.88 and love it. I've still got the Dana 30 up front and wouldn't go any lower than 4.88 in the 30.

Devallee

Personally I only like a manual on a vehicle with some speed. The Jeep is too slow for me to enjoy a manual especially since it's also my daily. The only reason I like a manual is because I really feel attached to the car and the road, which is all much more fun when you have some real HP. I also generally just prefer auto on the dirt and manuals on pavement

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JMac79

It's a hard topic. I had an 85 Toyota truck with a manual. Loved it, although working the clutch off road got old at times. It's fun and all but as I get older an automatic seems more of the route for me. Still not an easy choice though.

robx251

Caught the Bug
I know that some of Maybe even most will disagree with me but an auto 2 door jeep, what I have, is blasphemy. It is my dd and yes it can get old at times in traffic but it is what it is. I just get bored driving an auto.

Sent from my D6708 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! There are literally countless "auto vs. manual" threads on here and yet, new ones always get started all the time and people seem to just love them. :crazyeyes:

onebadtwo

I like my Auto... I prefer a manual for any performance type street car and older trail rigs. My drag cars, commuters, and modern trail rigs I prefer to be auto.

Basscat

Just curious as to what everyone runs and why. I just got a 2017 JKU manual ( my first ever manual). I figured with a Jeep, I had to go basic. Although I love it, I see some performance issues/problems that I could run into. Although this is mainly my DD.

Mainly the time that the wheels spin at top speed to get out of a situation mud/searching for traction. I hate to see the Rpms go through the roof before I can gear up.

Just looking for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

At the risk of sounding like I'm trying to kill this thread, and I'm not, you can wheel effectively and have fun with both. Just requires different style of driving.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlackDiamond_JKU

I think I paid 1,200 for both diffs re geared.
I did 4.56's in my last JK on 35's (6 speed manual w/ 3.6 - 2 door)
My current rig is a 4 door 3.6 on 37's (6 speed) and I've got 4.88's in it... but I'll be jumping to 5.13's next month with my new axles, the 4.88's left something to be wanted.

Use the search bar, as well as google, there is a ton of opinions out there.

----------------
2016 JKUR

“Our Country won’t go on forever if we stay soft as we are now. There won’t be any America; because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!”
– Lt. Gen. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller, USMC

[Quote from an earlier post]

There's no reason you can't shift it into a proper gear in the mud just like an auto. You just have to be quick about it.
[End Quote]

Be very careful with this... little known fact to me, the bell housing on a manual Jeep has two holes in it... one on the top of the bell housing and one on the bottom...

Well long story short, I almost detonated my transmission shifting in muddy water. Haha. As soon as you put in the clutch and those two plates separate, guess what wants to fill in the space? Mud and guck got sucked into the bell housing and caked the inside almost completely. I got super lucky and it didn't get much between my clutch plates, otherwise, bye bye clutch and hopefully nothing else.

No one told me this before I went mudding. I almost learned the hard way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom