Maximus 3 tire carrier

tharb5111

We got home late. I will post pick tomorrow of my setup. It may be just like yours but fir some reason I recall a different bracket. Ill check it tomorrow. If it is diff the phone number for the company is on page one of the instructions I sent you. I'm sure he'd be happy to send you one.

Shootingjeeper

We got home late. I will post pick tomorrow of my setup. It may be just like yours but fir some reason I recall a different bracket. Ill check it tomorrow. If it is diff the phone number for the company is on page one of the instructions I sent you. I'm sure he'd be happy to send you one.

I ended up making a bracket today at work out of 1/8" aluminum. Drilled some holes, broke it 90 degs, and painted it up. Turned out being good enough for the girl I go with... Lol ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444086079.801190.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444086111.817156.jpg

tharb5111

I actually like yours better. It's lower and cleaner with less dangling wire. Very nice. You get everything tight? No rattles?

Shootingjeeper

That is awesome work man. Looks great! Here is the pics of the one that I received with the kit in case you're curious.

That's pretty slick. My kit definitely did not come with that bracket. :-/ But oh, well. Once again, I appreciate all the pics and help. I still owe you one so let me know if I can ever help with anything. Also, I can do little custom stuff as well. Have full access to lathes and mills. Can machine, engrave, as well as laser etch.

tharb5111

That's pretty slick. My kit definitely did not come with that bracket. :-/ But oh, well. Once again, I appreciate all the pics and help. I still owe you one so let me know if I can ever help with anything. Also, I can do little custom stuff as well. Have full access to lathes and mills. Can machine, engrave, as well as laser etch.

No problem at all. Glad to help and happy everything went smooth for you in instal.

That's awesome set of fabrication skills at your disposal. I will keep that in mind for sure.

Thanks man. Appreciate it.

Wardell

I noticed when I ordered mine that they offer two different versions: the "base" version with the light on a bracket designed to show through the spokes in the spare (like Tharb5111 has), or the "sport" version that comes with a mast to mount the third brake light above the spare (like Shootingjeeper got).

I bought the "sport" version too, but after getting it in the mail I noticed the holes for the mast also line up with holes on the passenger side of the mount, near where the hi-lift jack and shovel are designed to go. I'm thinking about mounting the mast there instead with my CB antenna attached to it (to keep it nice and high), and using a completely different third brake light that mounts into the empty two lug holes in the wheel.

By the way Shootingjeeper, that bracket you fab'ed up turned out really good.

tharb5111

I noticed when I ordered mine that they offer two different versions: the "base" version with the light on a bracket designed to show through the spokes in the spare (like Tharb5111 has), or the "sport" version that comes with a mast to mount the third brake light above the spare (like Shootingjeeper got).

I bought the "sport" version too, but after getting it in the mail I noticed the holes for the mast also line up with holes on the passenger side of the mount, near where the hi-lift jack and shovel are designed to go. I'm thinking about mounting the mast there instead with my CB antenna attached to it (to keep it nice and high), and using a completely different third brake light that mounts into the empty two lug holes in the wheel.

That would be cool. Post pics when you get yours hooked up. I saw that in the design drawings fir the carrier so I'm curious to see how it turns out for you.

Ya he shootingjeeper fabbed that up quick and it looks fantastic.

Hope your install goes well. Pics when you can.

Shootingjeeper

Thanks! I appreciate it. I'm interested in seeing your setup as well.

If either one of you could use the mast from my kit, let me know... It's just sitting there collecting dust now.

JoeB-JKURX

Maximus-3 Tire Carrier - Problem with 4.5" Backspacing or Less

I know this thread has been dormant for a while but I think I have info that may be of use to folks using this tire carrier. I got the base kit installed last summer (July) when I got new wheels (4.5" backspace)/tires (35" KM2). New wheels/tires went on fine (Discount Tires) but I noticed a gap between the tire and carrier on the top tube/passenger side (and I had the carrier at the tightest option) and was worried about it rattling as time went along. I called the company and got an engineer named Joe (had an East Indian accent) and told him about the issue. He asked me a few questions and said he'd look into a fix. A few days later, he called me back and told me that they had come up with what may be an interim fix and that they would be sending me a new tire mount bracket (fits into square tube and has a selection of holes to accommodate different wheels/tires). When I received it, I was a bit apprehensive as the fix was a new hole in the bracket that overlapped a hole in the production unit. There seemed to be plenty of beef in the tubing of the bracket and no likelihood of the hole wallowing out so I went ahead with the install. Included with the fix kit was a redesigned, more stout hard plastic (not sure of the plastic type) stop that bolts to the carrier and takes up any possible slack in the round tubing of the carrier (folks with this carrier will know what I mean) when the tailgate is closed. I now have a good 3/8" to 1/2" of spare tire squeeze with the carrier (really stout) and no worries that I'll get any rattles in the future (the hinges for the carrier are separate from the factory units but mount with the factory hardware. This Joe fellow said that they had made a short production run of these mount brackets in case they got any other inquiries (they were no cost to me though I did sent the original bracket back to Maximus-3).

Bottom line - if any of you have this carrier and are getting rattles or are worried about getting one, this may be a useful post.

Edit: I just remembered that the retrofit kit included both mounting brackets for the tire (a shorter fixed one on the carrier tubing and the adjustable one with the extra hole)

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I know this thread has been dormant for a while but I think I have info that may be of use to folks using this tire carrier. I got the base kit installed last summer (July) when I got new wheels (4.5" backspace)/tires (35" KM2). New wheels/tires went on fine (Discount Tires) but I noticed a gap between the tire and carrier on the top tube/passenger side (and I had the carrier at the tightest option) and was worried about it rattling as time went along. I called the company and got an engineer named Joe (had an East Indian accent) and told him about the issue. He asked me a few questions and said he'd look into a fix. A few days later, he called me back and told me that they had come up with what may be an interim fix and that they would be sending me a new tire mount bracket (fits into square tube and has a selection of holes to accommodate different wheels/tires). When I received it, I was a bit apprehensive as the fix was a new hole in the bracket that overlapped a hole in the production unit. There seemed to be plenty of beef in the tubing of the bracket and no likelihood of the hole wallowing out so I went ahead with the install. Included with the fix kit was a redesigned, more stout hard plastic (not sure of the plastic type) stop that bolts to the carrier and takes up any possible slack in the round tubing of the carrier (folks with this carrier will know what I mean) when the tailgate is closed. I now have a good 3/8" to 1/2" of spare tire squeeze with the carrier (really stout) and no worries that I'll get any rattles in the future (the hinges for the carrier are separate from the factory units but mount with the factory hardware. This Joe fellow said that they had made a short production run of these mount brackets in case they got any other inquiries (they were no cost to me though I did sent the original bracket back to Maximus-3).

Bottom line - if any of you have this carrier and are getting rattles or are worried about getting one, this may be a useful post.

Good to know. It is a damn good feeling if you've had a tire rattling that gets fixed.

Top Bottom