MedixJK build thread

Just a quick update as i havent been on here much lately...i finally got the chance to work my dream job as a firefighter for the city of richmond, ky. So for the past 15 weeks, ive been tackling the recruit academy... and with two young kids and hours of nightly homework following a day of training, it definately wasnt easy. Yesterday, i graduated and will start work this week as a firefighter/paramedic...and i now have my life back lol

Congrats man!

Just a quick update as i havent been on here much lately...i finally got the chance to work my dream job as a firefighter for the city of richmond, ky. So for the past 15 weeks, ive been tackling the recruit academy... and with two young kids and hours of nightly homework following a day of training, it definately wasnt easy. Yesterday, i graduated and will start work this week as a firefighter/paramedic...and i now have my life back lol
Welcome to the brotherhood, man! That is exciting for sure!!!!!

I have family in Irvine. My next trip there we should meet up. Probably next year.

So i thought i had my death wobble fixed. I found that my toe somehow got waaaaay off. Like, an inch off. Anyhow, fixed that, and have drove several weeks at all speeds with no issue. I have however been getting pretty good wheel shimmy over certain bumps in the road, but it never went to full on death wobble. I attributed that to a combination of maybe needing tires balanced and possibly needing a drag link flip. The other day i hit a small pot hole with my front left tire that started a shimmy that quickly escalated to what i felt was surely going to be death wobble, but at 35mph, i was able to slow to a near stop and get it under control. Im kind of at a loss...i dont wanna put a SS back on until i know theres no promlems. Thoughts?

Like Donnie said, try the balancing. Also, did you ever put the factory tie rod back on to see if it went away?

Can't remember, did you verify your caster again?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

IDK, wouldn't an out of balance tire 'shimmy' all the time? It shouldn't only happen just when you hit a bump.

IDK, wouldn't an out of balance tire 'shimmy' all the time? It shouldn't only happen just when you hit a bump.
Kinda what i thought. At speed, i do feel a sight bounce in the seat as if i had a out of round tire. I didnt know if hitting the tire just right would accentuate it...

Something just to check is that on all of your adjustment sleeves (drag link, tie rod) that the open parts of the C clamps line up with the groove on the adjustment sleeve. If not, they can loosen. That being said, I would think it would happen all the time, not just on bumps.

IMG_20161120_190336_733.jpg

What about caster? Mine is too much i know....i got the dynatrac w the built in caster, and have evo lowers. Right now im at about 8* but i cant shorten the arms anymore. Would that be the root of the problem? If so ill spring for some adjustable uppers

Didn't you just get a tierod from someone at Windrock? I would balance and just do the draglink flip ... just because you really have no idea how they balanced and you have been toying with the idea of the flip... plus trackbar could be an issue ... just my 2 pennies ...

Didn't you just get a tierod from someone at Windrock? I would balance and just do the draglink flip ... just because you really have no idea how they balanced and you have been toying with the idea of the flip... plus trackbar could be an issue ... just my 2 pennies ...

Yea, tie rod and ends are good. Imm gonna find somewhere to RF balance these 37s, then go from there
Add: track bar seems good. Torqued to spec, no damage or sliping noted.

What about caster? Mine is too much i know....i got the dynatrac w the built in caster, and have evo lowers. Right now im at about 8* but i cant shorten the arms anymore. Would that be the root of the problem? If so ill spring for some adjustable uppers

Higher caster usually causes better handling. I doubt that's the issue.

Heres what i still cant figure out, and if anyone can check to verify, that would be awesome. If i put my hand on the joint where the draglink joins the pitman arm, and have some one move the wheel side to side, i cant feel a small thump/knock when the person changes direction on the wheel. It feels worst there, and the farther you move twords the axle, the less you can feel it.

Edit: could be normal, but i have no way to compare

Last edited:
Top Bottom