MedixJK build thread

Ok. I have just seen short arms cause so many problems because of the steep angle of CA's as you go up in lift. Negative caster from stock always solved the issue for me and friends that had same problem. Though it would also cause front drive-shaft binding, and wasn't a permanent fix for DW. Positive caster with elevated pinion angle in the coil spring XJ's would allow the axle to start a harmonic rotation that would eventually cause the short side of the axle to start wheel hop, then pass to the long side of axle in alternating harmonic wheel hop also called the dread DW. Unbalanced tires and bad steering stabilizers shouldn't cause DW, but with bad CA angles they will cause the axle to initiate it. Just the right Interstate road changes will also initiate it as that axle rotates form the pavement change.

Y'all know the JK way better than I do, just thought I would add another angle, pun intended , to the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Factory caster being 4.2* or so, i was down to about 2* after the 3" lift. Added the Evo lcas and dialed in about 6*. Drove great. Now with the built it caster of the PR44 im at about 8*, and i cant take any out of it without adding upper arms.

So i had a shop RF balance and rotate my tires. The remaining shimmy appears to be gone. Still think i may need a DLF though to reduce the bumpsteer.

jkwebbie

So i had a shop RF balance and rotate my tires. The remaining shimmy appears to be gone. Still think i may need a DLF though to reduce the bumpsteer.
Woohoo! I had a little death wobble with mine here lately and ended up taking my stock steering stabilizer off and it fixed it...makes no sense but it worked lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

So, i just put new rear pads on the rig as my breaks were squeaking. From the second i installed them, i have a squaking sound with every tire rotation from my rear driver side brakes. The faster you go, the faster it gets, until about 15 mph, then it goes away. Does this confirm what i suspectex a while back...slightly bent flange?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So, i just put new rear pads on the rig as my breaks were squeaking. From the second i installed them, i have a squaking sound with every tire rotation from my rear driver side brakes. The faster you go, the faster it gets, until about 15 mph, then it goes away. Does this confirm what i suspectex a while back...slightly bent flange?

Nope I wouldn't say it confirms anything unfortunately Matt. What I would say is tear it all down till it's just the flange. Then grab a pencil or something and hold it on the back of it as it spins and if you see it wobble bad then it's bent

Nope I wouldn't say it confirms anything unfortunately Matt. What I would say is tear it all down till it's just the flange. Then grab a pencil or something and hold it on the back of it as it spins and if you see it wobble bad then it's bent
Thats a good idea to test it. I feel like i can see a slight wobble in my side mirror along the profile of the tire, but its hard to say. My old pads were silent until they needed replaced.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thats a good idea to test it. I feel like i can see a slight wobble in my side mirror along the profile of the tire, but its hard to say. My old pads were silent until they needed replaced.

Honestly it's prob just the tire your seeing. I thought my driver side was bent looking at it that way but when I tested it with a pencil it wasn't. My passenger side on the other hand......... [emoji23]

WJCO

Meme King
If your old pads were quiet and your new ones are creating the noise, I highly doubt it's a bent flange.

On another note, that upper drag link pop you had, it could be the pitman arm splines. When I did my swap this weekend, once I pulled the axle out completely, I had someone turn the wheel back and forth really quickly, and I could feel the pop right where the arm meets the splines. nothing visual, but with one finger on the splines, and the other on the pitman arm, I could totally tell the movement was there. Not even 1/32" but enough to pop. I still WAS burning through upper drag link ends due to the steep angle because every week, I replaced one, the steering was only tight for about a day, then it was sloppy until I replaced it again.

If your old pads were quiet and your new ones are creating the noise, I highly doubt it's a bent flange.

On another note, that upper drag link pop you had, it could be the pitman arm splines. When I did my swap this weekend, once I pulled the axle out completely, I had someone turn the wheel back and forth really quickly, and I could feel the pop right where the arm meets the splines. nothing visual, but with one finger on the splines, and the other on the pitman arm, I could totally tell the movement was there. Not even 1/32" but enough to pop. I still WAS burning through upper drag link ends due to the steep angle because every week, I replaced one, the steering was only tight for about a day, then it was sloppy until I replaced it again.
Its always something. Lol. Maybe the slide bolts are hanging somewhere. Ill have to break it down and make sure everything got greased well. As far as that pop/thud goes, i have no clue. I feel like its above the DL/pitman joint though. I said the hell with it lol. Id still like to know if its a normal deal or not. Eitherway, i think a DL flip is in order.

WJCO

Meme King
Also check that rotor and wheel are 100% flat at axle flange. Even 1/8" of rust/carbon/debris that's stuck will cause that same symptom.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Its always something. Lol. Maybe the slide bolts are hanging somewhere. Ill have to break it down and make sure everything got greased well. As far as that pop/thud goes, i have no clue. I feel like its above the DL/pitman joint though. I said the hell with it lol. Id still like to know if its a normal deal or not. Eitherway, i think a DL flip is in order.
After I changed my rears a while back it did this, my slide bolts and pad channels were both hanging up. Pulled it all apart, greased it all, out it back together and it was good to go

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bonedaddy

yo have a shield on the back brakes behind the rotor Matt? I know my last one, I had something similar and it just happened to be they shield behind the rotor that had bent when they did the breaks, took the tire off and re-bent it back and noise was gone ...

Just my 2 pennies ...

yo have a shield on the back brakes behind the rotor Matt? I know my last one, I had something similar and it just happened to be they shield behind the rotor that had bent when they did the breaks, took the tire off and re-bent it back and noise was gone ...

Just my 2 pennies ...
I honestly dont remember, but its a deep rubbing sound. Sounds like thing alot more stout that that thin metal shield. I can feel it in my seat.

Top Bottom