Modifying an AEV lift?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok… back when I was greener to the Jeep than I am now, I had the dealer install a new AEV dualsport 3.5”/4.5” lift. They said if they do that lift it wouldn’t void my warranty so I paid too much and let them do it. Seems all I got out of the deal was some springs, brackets and shocks. Feel like I’ve been took…. But it is what it is and moving on… So, my question to you all is this:.. should I just chuck it and get a better lift package installed? Or just keep what I got and improve on it?... Like, what would it take to modify it to a 4.5” so I can run 37”s comfortably? Also, I think a better set of control arms and maybe HD steering system components.. and down the road, replace the shocks?.. I want to save a bit of money and not buy the same thing twice unless it is wise to do so.. I am also wanting to upgrade to new duratrac axles. (Daily driver, want to do a bit of wheeling a couple times a month, but drive mostly highway miles… rubicon 4 door, 2016.).. just want some beefier parts.. but only the ones that make sense to do right at this moment.

The fanboys on here will tell you that the AEV Dualsport is the best thing since sliced bread and really, what would you expect from someone who paid a boat load of money for springs, shocks and relocation brackets. Not that any of that is bad per se but yeah, you paid way too much for how little you actually got.

Based on my test of the kit you have, I would probably recommend that you get a complete new kit unless you happy with the stiffness of the coils you are running. The drop brackets are just a cheap solution to address what adjustable control arm would do and do better. If you decide to get adjustable aftermarket arms, do yourself a favor and DITCH the cheap flimsy bracket that will bend and can break. Trust me, I have seen it. As far as things like sector shaft braces go, people who don't have any real experience will recommend them because they don't know any better. They were highly recommend back in the TJ, YJ and CJ days when steering boxes would tear off the frame but the JK frame is strong enough to support the steering box and the only sector shaft breaks I've seen had to do with rotation and NOT side loads. If you're really worried about a sector shaft break, do yourself a favor and install a ram assist.

Regarding a HD steering system, all you really need is a good HD tie rod as the factory one is very weak and will bend at just about anything. The factory track bar and drag link are fine especially if you run a ram assist. Certainly, they are what I still run but then of course, unlike some of the other experts here, I'm just a mall crawler so you can take what I say for what it's worth.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, it's a daily driver and there are obviously pros and cons regarding the brackets. I drove a couple of different lifted Jeeps before I decided on the AEV. But, I happen to not like fighting bump steer over every crack in the road.

LOL!! Well yeah, when you test the AEV to something like a TeraFlex kit, I'd probably say that the AEV kit rode better too. :crazyeyes:

tgoss

Apparently, I missed something. :thinking:

His sarcasm. Which I have never seen.... In any thread, at any one time, and none of which are genuinely gratifying to read.

OP, I'll be one to tell you from my own experience: save your money if you have something capable of satisfying you for the time being. Do a good bit of research first, and secondly find locals in your neck of the woods with different set ups that are willing to let you ride along or better yet drive yourself.

People are different, have different needs, different asses, cares, no cares etc. I think it's rare (in any automobile facet) to find one single "kit" that suits all of your needs and will help you to choose components that suit your performance and comfort needs.

In the end, no matter how you slice it, you'll most likely ditch the entire AEV set up. You'll see the benefits of serviceable joints and adjustable arms. Possible the need/want for coilovers, or different shocks... etc etc etc. You're blessed with a platform that the aftermarket is endless. The trick is spending the money wisely to negate replacing the same component 2-3 times over.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
His sarcasm. Which I have never seen.... In any thread, at any one time, and none of which are genuinely gratifying to read.

LOL!! For someone who claims to "never seen" his sarcasm in any thread at any one time, I find it odd that you'd say none of it is genuinely gratifying to read. :thinking:

OP, I'll be one to tell you from my own experience: save your money if you have something capable of satisfying you for the time being. Do a good bit of research first, and secondly find locals in your neck of the woods with different set ups that are willing to let you ride along or better yet drive yourself.

People are different, have different needs, different asses, cares, no cares etc. I think it's rare (in any automobile facet) to find one single "kit" that suits all of your needs and will help you to choose components that suit your performance and comfort needs.

I'd agree to this. I have personally installed and tested a whole host of lift kits over the last 10 years and can say that a lot of them are okay but far from what I'd prefer. As I always say, ride quality is 100% subjective. That being said, I've never had anyone ride in my Jeep who's said that they didn't think it was the best they've ever ridden in.

In the end, no matter how you slice it, you'll most likely ditch the entire AEV set up. You'll see the benefits of serviceable joints and adjustable arms. Possible the need/want for coilovers, or different shocks... etc etc etc. You're blessed with a platform that the aftermarket is endless. The trick is spending the money wisely to negate replacing the same component 2-3 times over.

Too true

podge

Lots of good information on here!.. thanks y'all !.. :)

ok.. I'll give up the idea of Duratrac, especially when they are made in Uzbekistan, even though they are half the price. (ok ok.. in an effort to post quickly at work, I spelled Dynatrac all sorts of wrong)

That whole AEV/Dealership experience left a bad taste in my mouth. AEV could be the greatest lift in the world, but just have a negative feeling about it.. it does ride fine, and drives like it did stock, so I reckon I can't complain too bad... yet.... So, in a perfect world, I think I'd like to have the lift and axles done at the same time, as I would think labor would be cheaper, or I'll do it myself if I man-up. I'll now have to just drive it awhile and decide what I really want to do with the money I want to spend. I'll do a lot more further research in lift kits. I guess I could be dumb and ask everyone what is the best lift kit, only to have about 15 pages of posts of bickering and about 100 'best' lift suggestions. I'll just do this myself.

LarryG

The fanboys on here will tell you that the AEV Dualsport is the best thing since sliced bread and really, what would you expect from someone who paid a boat load of money for springs, shocks and relocation brackets. Not that any of that is bad per se but yeah, you paid way too much for how little you actually got.

Based on my test of the kit you have, I would probably recommend that you get a complete new kit unless you happy with the stiffness of the coils you are running. The drop brackets are just a cheap solution to address what adjustable control arm would do and do better. If you decide to get adjustable aftermarket arms, do yourself a favor and DITCH the cheap flimsy bracket that will bend and can break. Trust me, I have seen it. As far as things like sector shaft braces go, people who don't have any real experience will recommend them because they don't know any better. They were highly recommend back in the TJ, YJ and CJ days when steering boxes would tear off the frame but the JK frame is strong enough to support the steering box and the only sector shaft breaks I've seen had to do with rotation and NOT side loads. If you're really worried about a sector shaft break, do yourself a favor and install a ram assist.

Regarding a HD steering system, all you really need is a good HD tie rod as the factory one is very weak and will bend at just about anything. The factory track bar and drag link are fine especially if you run a ram assist. Certainly, they are what I still run but then of course, unlike some of the other experts here, I'm just a mall crawler so you can take what I say for what it's worth.

Eddie, I am curious how you center the front axle if using the factory track bat? Mine needs to move about 1/4 " to the passenger side to be centered.

WJCO

Meme King
Eddie, I am curious how you center the front axle if using the factory track bat? Mine needs to move about 1/4 " to the passenger side to be centered.

There's this thread IF you have an adjustable track bar. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Likely Eddie is running a raised track bar axle bracket with a drag link flip, therefore, the stock track bar keeps the axle pretty much centered with that setup. If you are NOT running the hi-steer setup with the raised track bar bracket, and still have the stock track bar, your axle is where it is and you can't really change that unless you purchase an adjustable track bar.

LarryG

There's this thread IF you have an adjustable track bar. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Likely Eddie is running a raised track bar axle bracket with a drag link flip, therefore, the stock track bar keeps the axle pretty much centered with that setup. If you are NOT running the hi-steer setup with the raised track bar bracket, and still have the stock track bar, your axle is where it is and you can't really change that unless you purchase an adjustable track bar.

Ok, I get it. Maybe I am worried about nothing? The axle needs to shift 1/4 inch toward the passenger side when it is sitting on the tires. I guess I need to know if having it 1/2" to the driver side is a big deal?

WJCO

Meme King
Not to completely derail this thread, but do I need a raised trac bar bracket if I'm sitting around 4.5" of lift with and adjustable track bar?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

If your drag link and track bar aren't parallel, then yes. But if you modify the track bar angle, you will likely have to modify the drag link angle as well. Also you want both of the bars to be near close to parallel with the ground as well.

Top Bottom