Montana Winter Jeep Prep

Gbint

Important tip. Mud tires make lousy snow tires. Rubber compound too hard. You’ll need tires with mountain and snow flake on sidewall. Studded if you’re allowed. Running studded snows in B.C. rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sm31

Studded if you’re allowed. Running studded snows in B.C. rocks.

Agreed!!! Same for Alaska!

There are those around here who believe studs are unreasonable and unnecessary... tends to be the same group who thinks that a gun to accompany bear spray is also unreasonable and unnecessary. This summer we (fortunately) had only one fatality in Eagle River as a result of such a mindset.

If you are purchasing dedicated winter tires and studs are an option, please get them.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Agreed!!! Same for Alaska!

There are those around here who believe studs are unreasonable and unnecessary... tends to be the same group who thinks that a gun to accompany bear spray is also unreasonable and unnecessary. This summer we (fortunately) had only one fatality in Eagle River as a result of such a mindset.

If you are purchasing dedicated winter tires and studs are an option, please get them.

I would definitely go with studded tires, but unfortunately mine are not stud ready... next set of tires will be [emoji106]

98XJ06LJ

If you are going with a dedicated set of winter vs summer tires, go ahead and spend the money on a set of spare rims and mount the winter set on them.

This will not only save the tires from damage while being mounted and unmounted but will also allow you to do the swap easily at home without have to pay the shop. Definitely pays for the extra wheels after a couple seasons.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

What hasn’t been mentioned yet is that snow tires are better skinny, not wide. So if you get a set of blizzaks or something don’t go the full 12.5” width get skinnier for better traction. And while mudtires as a whole are crappy on ice / snow, there are plenty that do just fine, run what you have for a season to see if you’re happy.

Jsouder53

Hooked
What hasn’t been mentioned yet is that snow tires are better skinny, not wide. So if you get a set of blizzaks or something don’t go the full 12.5” width get skinnier for better traction. And while mudtires as a whole are crappy on ice / snow, there are plenty that do just fine, run what you have for a season to see if you’re happy.

Thanks for that input! My tires have a good rating for snow traction, they aren’t a full mud tires but a cross between all terrain and mud terrain so we will see! They are also just 12.5 wide.

Snow tires aren’t in the budget for this year...

Top Bottom