Mopar Big Brake Kit Discontinued for the JK

BaddestCross

The Mopar big brake kit cannot just be pieced together from other vehicles. The rotors and caliper brackets are unique to that kit, not used from a different vehicle. The pads and calipers you could get and I do believe those are from RAM 1500. You can also buy replacement rotors a obviously. You can also buy the brake booster/master. If the whole kit was discontinued I'd buy something that is still in market if it were me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app
☝️ This. Like I said earlier, Crown still manufactures the kit. The booster is sold separately. It comes out to around $600 for the complete kit and that's just for the front. They only claim 20% brake improvement. I'd probably go with Dynatrac... Better braking without the hassle of replacing the master cylinder.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

MDK210

There is a reason it was discontinued. It wasn’t selling. That should tell you something. I literally know nobody and have never met someone with that kit. That tells you something else.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
If that’s true it’s no fault of the kit, more like user education on brake components. I don’t care what vehicle it is that some is modifying brakes are always the last thought especially in a off-road vehicle due to the low speeds. If someone doesn’t understand something they don’t want to spend the extra time or money to invest in it so they gravitate toward easier methods.

Not knowing anyone with the kit or having met anyone tells me something about those people. Either they don’t prioritize braking or they didn’t see the need to upgrade anything more than rotors/pads to which I would why and I’m sure it’s because of money or ease of installation.

TheGrendel

☝️ This. Like I said earlier, Crown still manufactures the kit. The booster is sold separately. It comes out to around $600 for the complete kit and that's just for the front. They only claim 20% brake improvement. I'd probably go with Dynatrac... Better braking without the hassle of replacing the master cylinder.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

this is what i meant by piecing it together. i did read about a guy that used the Crown kit, master cylinder and rear Dynatracs.

Ddays

Hooked
If that’s true it’s no fault of the kit, more like user education on brake components. I don’t care what vehicle it is that some is modifying brakes are always the last thought especially in a off-road vehicle due to the low speeds. If someone doesn’t understand something they don’t want to spend the extra time or money to invest in it so they gravitate toward easier methods.

Not knowing anyone with the kit or having met anyone tells me something about those people. Either they don’t prioritize braking or they didn’t see the need to upgrade anything more than rotors/pads to which I would why and I’m sure it’s because of money or ease of installation.

Riiiiiight, because Jeep people never fucking overdo anything. :rolleyes2:

Maybe it's because the Dynatrac kit solves braking issues sufficiently that the BBK/BBC/POV kit isn't worth the hassle to bother with?

J

JKDream

Riiiiiight, because Jeep people never fucking overdo anything. :rolleyes2:

Maybe it's because the Dynatrac kit solves braking issues sufficiently that the BBK/BBC/POV kit isn't worth the hassle to bother with?

Why does everyone here get worked up when someone suggests a product that's different?
I'm pretty sure everyone here knows the Dynatrac kit is great, nobody is contesting that.
He asked about the Mopar kit, and got a bunch of opinions from people who have no experience with it.
Offer up the Dynatrac kit as an alternate option, but don't ram it down everyones throat as better without experience on the Mopar kit.
It's the equivalent of me saying EVO makes shitty products but I've never owned any of them. How does that add any value?
Nobody here provided any testing proving one is better than the other anyway.
I don't really think a master cylinder swap is that big of a deal, maybe if you don't turn wrenches it is. That's up to the OP to decide though.

Tanktitan

Why does everyone here get worked up when someone suggests a product that's different?
I'm pretty sure everyone here knows the Dynatrac kit is great, nobody is contesting that.
He asked about the Mopar kit, and got a bunch of opinions from people who have no experience with it.
Offer up the Dynatrac kit as an alternate option, but don't ram it down everyones throat as better without experience on the Mopar kit.
It's the equivalent of me saying EVO makes shitty products but I've never owned any of them. How does that add any value?
Nobody here provided any testing proving one is better than the other anyway.
I don't really think a master cylinder swap is that big of a deal, maybe if you don't turn wrenches it is. That's up to the OP to decide though.

Thank you for your voice of reason. I come here to get opinions from knowledgeable people, and there are plenty of those people here. I think most of us are so enthusiastic about our Jeeps we want to help others whatever way we can. However, a little restraint from time to time, a little more listening, some deference to those with hands on knowledge would help us all get to our own unique answers faster. But for all commenters, thank you all for your help, I think I will go with the Dynatrac.

But I do have one unanswered question: why won’t a JL BBK fit a JK? What have they done different?

Ddays

Hooked
a bunch of opinions from people who have no experience with it..

Ummm, because maybe this? ^^ Other than a few references, no one on this forum has been able to give first hand advice because hardly anyone is running the kit. :thinking:

Who's ramming anything? Last I heard opinions are just that. My tongue in cheek comment about Jeepers spending money is precisely on point: If it was that damn good Mopar would be selling an ass-load of these kits instead of discontinuing them all together.

Do you have any first hand knowledge of the Mopar kit? I don't so I suggested the Dynatrac kit.

J

JKDream

Ummm, because maybe this? ^^ Other than a few references, no one on this forum has been able to give first hand advice because hardly anyone is running the kit. :thinking:

Who's ramming anything? Last I heard opinions are just that. My tongue in cheek comment about Jeepers spending money is precisely on point: If it was that damn good Mopar would be selling an ass-load of these kits instead of discontinuing them all together.

Do you have any first hand knowledge of the Mopar kit? I don't so I suggested the Dynatrac kit.

Yeah you're right, my apologies for being a bit aggressive in the reply.
It just sucks to never see any variation here in the products we're talking about.
I know Dynatrac kicks ass, but it would be nice to hear some feedback about something different once in awhile.
Maybe that Mopar kit is the bees knees? Surely someone here has tried it, and can give some information different from the same kit we've talked about for x number of years.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Yeah you're right, my apologies for being a bit aggressive in the reply.
It just sucks to never see any variation here in the products we're talking about.
I know Dynatrac kicks ass, but it would be nice to hear some feedback about something different once in awhile.
Maybe that Mopar kit is the bees knees? Surely someone here has tried it, and can give some information different from the same kit we've talked about for x number of years.

See above.

J

JKDream

See above.

Yes, I read the comment. My point was it would be nice if we could consider/compare options instead of just suggesting whatever the forum predominately runs everytime.
Then we could get some variation in products around here. Not all manufactures outside of the forums suggested make shitty products.

Tanktitan

Calipers, rotors, and probably master cylinder are all different between the models.

--

Well, I am in the market for better calipers, rotors and possibly a new master cylinder. I was hoping someone would say the new parts do fit. I suppose everything bolts up differently now.

My parts guy at my dealership was surprised that the new part number was only for the JL as he did not know anything changed. As to the old part, he said they had done a ton of the old ones and could not picture why it was discontinued. He did comment that for a lot of parts, Mopar has to agree to buy in lots of 5000 and with the change of models, maybe they thought they could not sell that many.

But this brings up another issue. Since the JL brakes must be different, is anyone noticing that the stock brakes are better on the JL than the JK? Both opinions and facts are welcome.

Ddays

Hooked
Yes, I read the comment. My point was it would be nice if we could consider/compare options instead of just suggesting whatever the forum predominately runs everytime.
Then we could get some variation in products around here. Not all manufactures outside of the forums suggested make shitty products.

You can bet that if someone posted up that they had tried both and the BBK kit stopped in 'X' amount of feet less than the Dynatrac kit there would be a shitload of people stampeding to buy that kit.
Hell, we all buy so much dumb shit we don't need for these money pits that another excuse to buy something "better" is all we need! I understand your previous comments, but one of the things I love about Wayalife
is that people will go out of their way to offer suggestions that will both work well and save you money/time/aggravation. I think that's what the Dynatrac kit offers in this case.

Ddays

Hooked
Well, I am in the market for better calipers, rotors and possibly a new master cylinder. I was hoping someone would say the new parts do fit. I suppose everything bolts up differently now.

My parts guy at my dealership was surprised that the new part number was only for the JL as he did not know anything changed. As to the old part, he said they had done a ton of the old ones and could not picture why it was discontinued. He did comment that for a lot of parts, Mopar has to agree to buy in lots of 5000 and with the change of models, maybe they thought they could not sell that many.

But this brings up another issue. Since the JL brakes must be different, is anyone noticing that the stock brakes are better on the JL than the JK? Both opinions and facts are welcome.

Thats a very good question. I watched the JLX video that Eddie posted and I didn't hear any of that very distinctive brake groaning that almost every JK has. Especially in 4Lo. I'd like to hear someone answer that question as well.

dytrdr5

You can also run the Teraflex big rotor kit, after all it’s just brackets and rotors and order the Dynatrac pro grip pads separately, they are designed for the factory calipers. It’s a great kit and much cheaper overall than the entire Dynatrac kit

Exodus 4x4

Not sure about the Mopar BBK but I’ve changed out several master cylinders to the J8 master cylinder and I’ve noticed a difference. I’ve only had one customer say they didn’t notice any difference.

I’ve also had customers upgrade to the Dynatrac kit and say they didn’t notice any difference in braking, and others say it was amazing. Personally I feel brake upgrades more when crawling than I do driving.

WiscoHR

Thats a very good question. I watched the JLX video that Eddie posted and I didn't hear any of that very distinctive brake groaning that almost every JK has. Especially in 4Lo. I'd like to hear someone answer that question as well.

On the JL there is a big brake kit available for sports and Saharas. The Rubicon comes standard with it. That’s probably the reason your not hearing the brakes groan. The brakes on the new JL Rubicon easily slow down my JL on 37s better the the stock brakes and 33s I had on my JK.

Top Bottom