Mopar Big Brake Kit Discontinued for the JK

Tanktitan

I got an “answer” from my dealer’s parts guy, to a question I raised earlier, as to why the JL Big Brake Kit will not fit a JK. He said JL wheels will not fit a JK either, because of a difference in the hubs. They tried and it will not fit. His opinion was that FCA does not want people trying to make their JK’s look like the new JL so they changed this area. If this is true, what will this mean for aftermarket wheels? Anyone with experience here?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SLO

I’m a little late to the party but here is my opinion from experience. I went from factory Rubicon tires to 35’s and then to 37’s. Going to 35’s had some impact on braking but not as much as going to 37’s. I didn’t feel safe driving with the stock brakes on 37’s so I decided to look at brake upgrades. I have a friend that went with the Dynatrac kit when he went to 37’s and said he didn’t notice a huge difference so I drove his compared to mine and I couldn’t tell much of a difference either. I started reading various forums and read good things about the Mopar BBK so I decided to take my chances. I noticed a significant difference over both the factory brakes and over the Dynatrac kit. Since the Mopar kit only upgrades the front, I ended up adding the Teraflex rear a few months later and noticed a small incremental increase in braking. The Mopar kit alone made the biggest difference and the way I have it set up now is more than enough to stop 37’s quickly.

As to the original question, I saw kits for sale still on some Mopar parts sites. Not sure if they could actually get them once you place the order but may be worth trying. I would try this route first, personally.

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
On the JL there is a big brake kit available for sports and Saharas. The Rubicon comes standard with it. That’s probably the reason your not hearing the brakes groan. The brakes on the new JL Rubicon easily slow down my JL on 37s better the the stock brakes and 33s I had on my JK.

Actually the big brakes are standard on Saharas and Rubicons, the smaller brakes are only on the Sport. That said the smaller brakes are bigger than the JK brakes were and the bug brakes are even bigger yet. The JL brakes are night and day better than the JK were.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I got an “answer” from my dealer’s parts guy, to a question I raised earlier, as to why the JL Big Brake Kit will not fit a JK. He said JL wheels will not fit a JK either, because of a difference in the hubs. They tried and it will not fit. His opinion was that FCA does not want people trying to make their JK’s look like the new JL so they changed this area. If this is true, what will this mean for aftermarket wheels? Anyone with experience here?

That shows why you don't listen to parts guys. Most JK wheels fit. The larger 14mm lugs on JL do mean some JK stuff doesn't fit. FCA didn't go to bigger lugs so that JK people couldn't make them look like JLs. That's funny though that someone would say that.

As for JL brakes on the JK, it is an all new vehicle. Do JK brakes fit on a TJ? Sure you could probably make them fit if you wanted to, just need to figure out custom caliper brackets to mount them. The lug pattern, hub size and wheel offsets are same so rotors wouldn't be a huge issue most likely but custom brackets and then the booster would be the main two.

Tanktitan

I’m a little late to the party but here is my opinion from experience. I went from factory Rubicon tires to 35’s and then to 37’s. Going to 35’s had some impact on braking but not as much as going to 37’s. I didn’t feel safe driving with the stock brakes on 37’s so I decided to look at brake upgrades. I have a friend that went with the Dynatrac kit when he went to 37’s and said he didn’t notice a huge difference so I drove his compared to mine and I couldn’t tell much of a difference either. I started reading various forums and read good things about the Mopar BBK so I decided to take my chances. I noticed a significant difference over both the factory brakes and over the Dynatrac kit. Since the Mopar kit only upgrades the front, I ended up adding the Teraflex rear a few months later and noticed a small incremental increase in braking. The Mopar kit alone made the biggest difference and the way I have it set up now is more than enough to stop 37’s quickly.

As to the original question, I saw kits for sale still on some Mopar parts sites. Not sure if they could actually get them once you place the order but may be worth trying. I would try this route first, personally.

Thank you. Better late than not join in. This is exactly the real experience I have been looking for. I am not knocking Dynatrac - great company. I just have some very heavy rotational forces in my Hutchinson’s and feel greater clamping forces with larger diameter rotors will be better than increased diameter alone.

Tanktitan

That shows why you don't listen to parts guys. Most JK wheels fit. The larger 14mm lugs on JL do mean some JK stuff doesn't fit. FCA didn't go to bigger lugs so that JK people couldn't make them look like JLs. That's funny though that someone would say that.

Agreed. We seem to live in a world where people sometimes feel that if asked, they have to say something, even if they make it up.

I have often noted your responses, and your precision tells me you know a lot about what you are saying. Thank you for weighing in.

BaddestCross

Agreed. We seem to live in a world where people sometimes feel that if asked, they have to say something, even if they make it up.

I have often noted your responses, and your precision tells me you know a lot about what you are saying. Thank you for weighing in.

I believe he has a little bit of an inside track when it comes to these things. 😎

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

SLO

Thank you. Better late than not join in. This is exactly the real experience I have been looking for. I am not knocking Dynatrac - great company. I just have some very heavy rotational forces in my Hutchinson’s and feel greater clamping forces with larger diameter rotors will be better than increased diameter alone.

My buddy that I referred to was running Rock Monsters. Not that it really changes things but he may have had some additional weight than I do running non-beadlocks.

By the way, i sent you a PM. I’ll be selling my Mopar front and Teraflex rears with less than 1000 miles on them.

trailraider

I was just going through the JL Mopar Performance brochure and they do still list the Mopar big brake kit with master pt# P5160051AC and a kit just with master and booster pt# P5160050. If i look it up it now shows up as available. back order of course, like everything Chrysler these days.

JL big brake kit is pt# 77072434 no master and booster on this kit.

jeeeep

Hooked

My buddy that I referred to was running Rock Monsters. Not that it really changes things but he may have had some additional weight than I do running non-beadlocks.
By the way, i sent you a PM. I’ll be selling my Mopar front and Teraflex rears with less than 1000 miles on them.

May be the cynic in me but the guy tells you how much better the big brake kit is then offers to sell you his? :thinking:

What I can share in my decision to go with Dynatrac is they stop flat. Even with a fully loaded Jeep, they stop quick and flat.

My buddy swapped his Mopar kit for Dynatrac after testing my Jeep out. He has a 2 door w/35's, mine is a 4 door w/37's on beadlocks.

He liked that he could slam on the brakes, stop fast and no forward pitch. :twocents:

SLO

May be the cynic in me but the guy tells you how much better the big brake kit is then offers to sell you his? :thinking:

What I can share in my decision to go with Dynatrac is they stop flat. Even with a fully loaded Jeep, they stop quick and flat.

My buddy swapped his Mopar kit for Dynatrac after testing my Jeep out. He has a 2 door w/35's, mine is a 4 door w/37's on beadlocks.

He liked that he could slam on the brakes, stop fast and no forward pitch. :twocents:

I wish I could have kept them but I went to full float D60’s so the new bolt pattern and fact that they came with calipers and rotors led me to sell them.

Top Bottom