Movies Worth Watching

CalSgt

Hooked
I just watched The Fastest Woman On Earth...documentary on Jessi Combs, possible also the Baddest Women On Earth (next to Cindy, of course)...
She was definitely rad…

my buddies are in the documentary briefly while I was taking their picture with her at KOH, I almost accidentally walked between her and the camera when she is getting interviewed in the Warn tent just prior to that.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Not sure if this is a movie that's actually worth watching but it sure as hell seems fitting in the times that we're living in. Of course, you can guess which way the movie leans as they project who the bad guys are but A24 is known for producing quality films that aren't just reboots or remakes and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in this one. For entertainment value if nothing else.

Here's another trailer with a slightly different feel.

I saw Civil War last night.

It was good but not anything like I was expecting. It is not political in nature other than what is needed for the main story line which is about war-zone reporters. Specifically the main character who is a seasoned war-zone reporter who is reflecting back on her life and what she has done and whether it was a life well spent. In addition there is a junior character that is a young woman trying to pursue her dreams of becoming what the older woman is. The main characters remind me very much of reporters I have crossed paths with overseas who are trying to be in the midst of the action to ‘capture the story’ but it was really about adrenaline and the reporters building their status amongst their peer group.

The main plot is about this small group of reporters trying to get to DC in order to report on the final battle. They do not want to miss out on the story of a lifetime and are willing to take any risk to get the scoop.

There are some cool battle scenes and some instances and situations related to what you would expect to see in a war or insurgency that happens within the US. A example is a person or two wearing Hawaiian shirts as well as dudes taking advantage of the war to advance their own agendas. None of it seemed to be about sending an overt political message relating to the current political situation nor did I see it reflecting any current individual politician.

However just like individuals seeing the image of Jesus, Gandhi, the devil or Elvis on their French Toast, I can imagine there will be individuals who will see what they want to see out of this movie. I did not observe that but I have been wrong many times in my life.

Over all I thought it was entertaining and worth the few dollars I spent to watch it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

It was good but not anything like I was expecting. It is not political in nature other than what is needed for the main story line which is about war-zone reporters. Specifically the main character who is a seasoned war-zone reporter who is reflecting back on her life and what she has done and whether it was a life well spent. In addition there is a junior character that is a young woman trying to pursue her dreams of becoming what the older woman is. The main characters remind me very much of reporters I have crossed paths with overseas who are trying to be in the midst of the action to ‘capture the story’ but it was really about adrenaline and the reporters building their status amongst their peer group.

The main plot is about this small group of reporters trying to get to DC in order to report on the final battle. They do not want to miss out on the story of a lifetime and are willing to take any risk to get the scoop.

There are some cool battle scenes and some instances and situations related to what you would expect to see in a war or insurgency that happens within the US. A example is a person or two wearing Hawaiian shirts as well as dudes taking advantage of the war to advance their own agendas. None of it seemed to be about sending an overt political message relating to the current political situation nor did I see it reflecting any current individual politician.

However just like individuals seeing the image of Jesus, Gandhi, the devil or Elvis on their French Toast, I can imagine there will be individuals who will see what they want to see out of this movie. I did not observe that but I have been wrong many times in my life.

Over all I thought it was entertaining and worth the few dollars I spent to watch it.
Awesome! I really do appreciate the review and look forward to watching it myself. Like I said, A24 puts out solid films and I was intrigued by the fact that there were actually a number of critics, some pretty high profile ones (you can guess the political leanings they have) that gave it Rotten Tomatoes and based on the fact that they thought the film 'missed an opportunity' and or 'failed to convey the right message'. And, based on what I'm hearing from you, it's because it was NOT political in nature (y)

Thanks for the review! I look forward to watching it myself at some point here.

Also I see Elvis on everything... Thanks to my dad being a mega fan with his insane amount of collectibles and even naming his first son after him.

Top Bottom