Moving to California

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sac, Santa Barbara and San Jose can be added.

I actually really liked San Diego. I would move back there out of most other places in this state.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

There are plenty of places that I "like" in CA and that's why I still visit the state. However, there's nowhere you can live in that state to get away from how it's run.

Dale72

Hooked
Hey all,

I am looking at moving to the SOCal next year for work but am concerned about registering my Jeep in CA. Hoping someone might heave some advice. I have a 2008 JKU with RIPP long tube headers installed which I understand is not CARB approved for on-road use in CA. Not a problem where I currently am. It is my daily driver. Sadly, I just put this on in the last year not thinking CA would ever be a possibility. Cursory research tells me I will need to change back to stock exhaust manifolds and cats. Does that sound right? I’d hate to spend more $$$ on the exhaust as I just put in the RIPP headers and high clearance system. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Well the fact that you have been a member here since May of 2016. You should already know that people have been talking about this for a long time

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Hahahaha advice is don’t move to California! [emoji23][emoji23] and yeah you would have to go back to stock. And to register my Jeep every year is almost $300.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
There are plenty of places that I "like" in CA and that's why I still visit the state. However, there's nowhere you can live in that state to get away from how it's run.

I’m in a fairly conservative strong hold. That being said we still have to pay all the bullshit like the rest of the state.
They are trying to repeal prop 13. [emoji24]

I hope all these Democrat’s continue to flee to Nevada. Maybe the state will be nice again ??[emoji23]

TrailHunter

Hooked
Been in SoCal my whole life... Most of those I grew up with and associate with are Conservative. I can leave my house right now and drive to the beach, the trees, the snow, a lake, a river, the rocks and the desert.. all before lunch. And the Weather is f’n Awesome! The biggest problem here is congestion of people buildings & traffic. We are right on top of each other... It’s annoying as F$&k. And No doubt liberal politicians are slowly ruining this state... But I’d move to the Sierras or Northern Cali (or any non major city here) in a second if I could.

Last edited:

MericaMade

Been in SoCal my whole life... Most of those I grew up with and associate with are Conservative. I can leave my house right now and drive to the beach, the trees, the snow, a lake, a river, the rocks and the desert.. all before lunch. And the Weather is f’n Awesome! The biggest problem here is congestion of people buildings & traffic. We are right on top of each other... It’s annoying as F$&k. And No doubt liberal politicians are slowly ruining this state... But I’d move to the Sierras or Northern Cali (or any non major city here) in a second if I could.
Same boat as you and couldn't agree more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I was really looking for advice about my Jeep not politics or whether or not I choose to move to CA. Can we be civil and stay on topic? Thanks

Looks like your question has been answered pretty well :idontknow: :

Yea that won’t fly if they’re not 50 state legal.

Leave it registered where you are. Change it only if you have a problem

leave the Jeep and buy a prius

Short answer to your question is that you will need to remove it if you plan on registering your Jeep in CA.

Yep, your're screwed. You will fail smog and wont be able to register in CA.

This! Not necessarily legal but with the renewal through the mail it's pretty easy and you can always use a friend's house address if you really need to. Only thing that might come up is if you get pulled over and you have a CA drivers license and not CA registration you may get questioned about it. If you have someone willing to let you use their address (friend or family) you can have both your license and registration to it and I doubt you would ever have an issue.

.....and yeah you would have to go back to stock.

TheGrendel

Hey all,

I am looking at moving to the SOCal next year for work but am concerned about registering my Jeep in CA. Hoping someone might heave some advice. I have a 2008 JKU with RIPP long tube headers installed which I understand is not CARB approved for on-road use in CA. Not a problem where I currently am. It is my daily driver. Sadly, I just put this on in the last year not thinking CA would ever be a possibility. Cursory research tells me I will need to change back to stock exhaust manifolds and cats. Does that sound right? I’d hate to spend more $$$ on the exhaust as I just put in the RIPP headers and high clearance system. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

buy 2012+ JKU. swap parts with your old Jeep. sell old Jeep. stay CARB compliant.

CalSgt

Hooked
buy 2012+ JKU. swap parts with your old Jeep. sell old Jeep. stay CARB compliant.

Just don't sell the non compliant jeep in CA... Seller is responsible for smog compliance in CA unless the vehicle is registered as non-operational

jesse3638

Hooked
Just don't sell the non compliant jeep in CA... Seller is responsible for smog compliance in CA unless the vehicle is registered as non-operational
Oh yes forgot about that. If you're not going to or unable to register it at least pop it a non-OP on it. If you don't when you go to register it you'll have to pay out the ass with late fees and things.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom