MPG help

Hot94Z28

I was getting 18-22 stock in my JKU, and now I get 16.5-17.5 with the lift and 35's. I have 3.73 gears.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
So I have a 2013 JKUR and I am getting 15.5 - 16 mpg and it would be very helpful if anyone could give some tips on how to get better gas mileage. Oh and by the way, it is completely stock.
View attachment 194733

If your serious, you can do a few things:

1. Tires - less rolling resistance = more MPG. Ditch your BFG MT's for BFG AT's or even a road tire like Goodyear SRA's. It's a give and take between off road capability and fuel efficiency.

2. Replace your front air dam if removed. If you don't have one I'm certain that you can get one from a forum member for the price of a six pack. [emoji481]

3. Keep the oil fresh and engine in tune. Make sure your oil is the right viscosity.

Those are the simple things. Other things can be done, but the payback will be stretched beyond reasonable limits. Good luck!

SuperSlim

I just put on a FlowMaster American Thunder exhaust and according to the computer I am getting better than 1 mpg improvement. I need to put the calculator to it. I figure the exhaust will pay for itself in three years:crazyeyes:

I was getting 18-22 stock in my JKU, and now I get 16.5-17.5 with the lift and 35's. I have 3.73 gears.

Same set up with mine and same mpg for stock and lift. In the hilly areas I get less, avg around 16.3 mpg. 4.5" lift and I drive it like a granny in town but like Jeff Gordon on the highway[emoji2]

ScoobyCarolanNC

14.4 average and that's after a year of tracking with an app at every fill up. I don't actually care, I'm just a data nerd. When anyone asks I tell em 60 smiles a gallon.

fercho

I just put on a FlowMaster American Thunder exhaust and according to the computer I am getting better than 1 mpg improvement. I need to put the calculator to it. I figure the exhaust will pay for itself in three years:crazyeyes:

I just did the same thing, and notice an increased on mpgs not much but thats better than nothing

Journeyman

The biggest bump in mpg I saw was with my programmer. But really only talking about 1-2 mpg at the very best. But my tranny started acting weird with the program, so I re-flashed back to stock program. Right now I'm averaging 15ish.
A jeep has the aerodynamics of brick! Keep up on your maintenance and enjoy the ride. Switch your DIC to outside temp and don't worry about it.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Prius power train.
Lol! That's what I was thinking
I got 20-22 out of the 08 X model we use to have. It was the 3.8 and six speed standard with stock 3.21 gears. That was running the stock size tires.

Once I went to the 285 BFG ATs it dropped to 18 at best.

Same set up with mine and same mpg for stock and lift. In the hilly areas I get less, avg around 16.3 mpg. 4.5" lift and I drive it like a granny in town but like Jeff Gordon on the highway[emoji2]

The Manual transmission must be the secret sauce! I ran 3.73 gears with BFG 35s, auto transmission. Even corrected with a ProCal I was getting 13.5 at best.

Bpaige88

I get normally 16-17 normally. That's all highway. My dash will say I'm getting 19mpg though. I don't really trust the dash calculation. I still do the old math way.

Hot94Z28

How in the world did you accomplish that?

My way to work is 25 miles one way and not any stop and go traffic, I also don't use the cruise control. It has been less but the last few tanks run 16.5 and have got 17.5 recently. But my commute is hilly and I coast when going down hill.

Now I normally don't get that in the winter, and if it's windy I get less.

Hot94Z28

How in the world did you accomplish that?

I will also say I have a drop in K&N, and a magnaflow muffler. But I did that mostly for Maintance on the air filter and for clearance on the muffler. I never planned on that stuff saving me and MPG and don't know if it really has any effect on it.

Smitty

Always go downhill with the wind.

Seriously though. I get 17-18 in town and 22-24 hwy but I probably have different driving conditions. My Jeep is a 2012 JKU Sport hardtop with 3.73. I still have the stock SRA tires. They are lighter than the BFG Rubicon tire and have less rolling resistance. I live in FL. We have to go to an interstate overpass to find a hill. I am also 40 years old and don't get in a hurry. I enjoy driving my Jeep so I tend to mosey around.

Ghost*JK

Wow

I guess I should consider myself lucky.
my 2012 JKUR with 3.73 and automatic running BFG KM2 285/75R17 I was averaging about 17.5 to 18.5
Most if not all were highway

Top Bottom