My 37" Tire Flew off while driving - Jeep JKU 2015

H20JNKY

Bolt will snap from overtorque. Even if threads were damaged from overtorque, the chances of all 5 nuts backing off from that damaged location and then falling off would be near impossible. The ovaled hole indicates they were loose with studs rubbing into lug bores. I would replace the rim to be safe.

Makes sense. will replace the rim. Will be a good piece of mind.

Fridge81

I've had this happen with 37s while pulling my fifth wheel on a deserted New Mexico highway in the middle of the night running 60-65mph rushing to my destination. It was totally my fault by not checking the lugs after 100 miles on new wheels. Dumb move on my part and a 14 hour learning experience that included hitchhiking to the nearest town to find all the parts needed to replace all 8 studs on the same street side rear tire on narrow 2 lane road. It took about an hour and a half to find the tire and wheel that night. I feel fortunate that no other traffic was on the road that night. I would hate to live with the fact that I killed someone because I was too lazy for PM. That forever tattooed torquing lug nuts in my mind just as this incident will for you. Glad none of yours or anyone else was injured. Hard lesson learned, but don't sweat it. Lots of us have done this too as mentioned before.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

SilverBack

I hate hearing stories like this. I have a family and drive my jeep everyday with Spidertrax spacers. It worries me everyday.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Been driving my JKUR with spidertrax spacers for nearly 2 years on some of the crappiest roads in Eastern Europe with zero problems. I verify they have not loosened every tire rotation and inspect the ring for the hub. I only torque the lug nits to 90lb/ft.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK_BUB

I'll bet that the new rotors allowed more of the stud to protrude, which stuck out past the surface of the spacer. When he mounted the wheel, it wasn't sitting flat on the surface of the spacer, but on the studs. He likely torqued them, but then they shifted on the studs. When you install spacers, the studs must be ground down if they protrude past the surface of the spacer or this happens.

Journeyman

I'll bet that the new rotors allowed more of the stud to protrude, which stuck out past the surface of the spacer. When he mounted the wheel, it wasn't sitting flat on the surface of the spacer, but on the studs. He likely torqued them, but then they shifted on the studs. When you install spacers, the studs must be ground down if they protrude past the surface of the spacer or this happens.

This is how I nearly lost one!

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Damn, im glad everyone was ok. It happens, but I don't think 110lbs is your problem. I don't think they were torqued.

BRLAJeeper

Man. Glad you're ok! I run Spidertrax and check spacers every 1000 miles (after installing w copious amounts of red locker) then re torque lugs 50-100mi after that. It's a pain in the a$$ sometimes. But so is looking for missing wheels on side of the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

bill32

Like the song said "You picked the wrong time to leave me loose wheel."
Glad your OK. Good time to check my lugs.

Breer

Caught the Bug
Did this today... Been 2000 miles since I checked it last and it was already on my mind. Glad your ok and like everyone else said, that it was at a low speed. [emoji106]

IMG_20170816_104124.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom