My life with a Brick

Ddays

Hooked
Damn, what a pain in the ass. Electrical demons are the absolute worst. Hope they get this figured out soon. :grayno:

WJCO

Meme King
Have you seen a bad cluster before? It sounds like you work in the automotive field from things I’ve read

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've seen tons of bad clusters from various manufacturers. For the last 15 years or so, they're basically computer circuit boards and definitely play an important role in the overall vehicle electronic system and can cause some weird issues. With that being said, I don't commonly see it on Jeeps. I seriously hope the shop tech on yours has some quality diagnostic steps and isn't just guessing.

The other thing that can suck about clusters is that they aren't usually dealt with through the manufacturer; they're usually sent out to a third-party company to refurbish or replace and have strict guidelines to accurately set the odometer to where it needs to be and that can take time.

What was your original symptom when it started acting up?

JKbrick

I've seen tons of bad clusters from various manufacturers. For the last 15 years or so, they're basically computer circuit boards and definitely play an important role in the overall vehicle electronic system and can cause some weird issues. With that being said, I don't commonly see it on Jeeps. I seriously hope the shop tech on yours has some quality diagnostic steps and isn't just guessing.

The other thing that can suck about clusters is that they aren't usually dealt with through the manufacturer; they're usually sent out to a third-party company to refurbish or replace and have strict guidelines to accurately set the odometer to where it needs to be and that can take time.

What was your original symptom when it started acting up?

The first thing I noticed was my wipers were on and wouldn’t shut off, then I noticed when heading home that night the cluster was dead, no turn signals, no dome light, headlights were on, later I tried the sway bar and it didn’t work, just all kinds of shit

WJCO

Meme King
The first thing I noticed was my wipers were on and wouldn’t shut off, then I noticed when heading home that night the cluster was dead, no turn signals, no dome light, headlights were on, later I tried the sway bar and it didn’t work, just all kinds of shit

Did they check the tipm? Did any of this happen after a deep water crossing? And do you park this outside; any chance of rodent damage to wiring?

Noble Woodsman

I haven't read all the posts in this thread yet, but in addition to WJCO's comments, i wonder if you have a bad ground. Sporadic grounding issues can lead to problems with the canbus doing weird things like this. You might be able to check for common grounding points for all the circuits you mentioned on an electrical diagram (typically found in Chilton or FSM manuals), to help narrow down where to look.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

JKbrick

Did they check the tipm? Did any of this happen after a deep water crossing? And do you park this outside; any chance of rodent damage to wiring?

I sent the TIPM to MAK’s and they “did some repairs” to it, but the first day it acted up was a nice sunny day, no deep water or even sitting out. Heck I hardly even drive it in the rain. I’ve been in water at the Badlands and Drummond but it had been 9 months since I’d done a water crossing. The guy working on it is doing it on his own but works at a dealership so they let him use the scan tool

WJCO

Meme King
Where have you been? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I sent the TIPM to MAK’s and they “did some repairs” to it, but the first day it acted up was a nice sunny day, no deep water or even sitting out. Heck I hardly even drive it in the rain. I’ve been in water at the Badlands and Drummond but it had been 9 months since I’d done a water crossing. The guy working on it is doing it on his own but works at a dealership so they let him use the scan tool

Damn! I remember that now. Didn't realize it was all the same issue. That sucks. I just went back through your build pages. Looks like it started here: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/41023-My-life-with-a-Brick?p=1142734&viewfull=1#post1142734

Any chance that something was damaged during the cage install?

JKbrick

Damn! I remember that now. Didn't realize it was all the same issue. That sucks. I just went back through your build pages. Looks like it started here: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/41023-My-life-with-a-Brick?p=1142734&viewfull=1#post1142734

Any chance that something was damaged during the cage install?

That is exactly the first time it happened! I unhooked the battery during putting in the cage due to some welding but other than that all I did was take out the speakers and put them back in, all unplug and plug factory plugs back together

nbunga

Caught the Bug
When he welded on your cage, did he ground right where he was welding or somewhere else? If he grounded somewhere else like in the frame it could cause problems with current going through things it shouldn’t. I figure he knows that though.

JKbrick

When he welded on your cage, did he ground right where he was welding or somewhere else? If he grounded somewhere else like in the frame it could cause problems with current going through things it shouldn’t. I figure he knows that though.

I found this
IMG_2527.jpg
Looks ok I guess

Top Bottom