Need a tire carrier and bumper that opens with the door. Was thinking ACE any thought

xkid

I also have the AEV and yes it comes with instructions. I also kept my stock bumper, so it doesn't really stand out.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Love my ace!!! It's solid as hell! I went with slant back tire carrier option

View attachment 95436
5yjavy6a.jpg

Honestly, I personally don't get the whole slant back tire thing. I mean, if you're doing it just for looks, more power to you but everything else about it seems like such a bad idea. You can't use a factory top with it and therefore would loose cargo capacity, you've effectively put a significant amount of weight way up high thus throwing off your center of gravity, getting it up there would be a real pain in the ass and there's no way it would survive long term if you did a lot of bombing through the desert. Of course, that is just my opinion and if you're happy with it, that's all that should matter.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I also have the AEV and yes it comes with instructions. I also kept my stock bumper, so it doesn't really stand out.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

The AEV setup is real nice and if I were keeping my stock bumper, it's definitely the route I would consider.

For me getting the spare down would just kill my back. :icon_crazy:

Honestly, I personally don't get the whole slant back tire thing. I mean, if you're doing it just for looks, more power to you but everything else about it seems like such a bad idea. You can't use a factory top with it and therefore would loose cargo capacity, you've effectively put a significant amount of weight way up high thus throwing off your center of gravity, getting it up there would be a real pain in the ass and there's no way it would survive long term if you did a lot of bombing through the desert. Of course, that is just my opinion and if you're happy with it, that's all that should matter.

Coloradan

Did it come with instructions on how to install it on a stock bumper or did you wing it??

It came with a packet of instructions and a template for cutting the hole in the top of the stock bumper. It probably took me 6 hours to install the whole thing, but I love the finished product.

bkac

Caught the Bug
The AEV setup is real nice and if I were keeping my stock bumper, it's definitely the route I would consider.

I went with the LoD shorty bumper and carrier gen4 along with some LoD sliders. Should be here tomorrow! Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Matador

Need a tire carrier and bumper that opens with the door. Was thinking ACE any...

I run the Trektop NX so it's the same angle as the slant back and with that top you lose a little bit of room anyways. :). Nice part about it is that it's just a bolt on adapter, so if I wanted to run spare tire in stock position I can ie putting hard top back on.

You are right it is a PITA to get up there, I wouldn't want to try it solo.

Having it up there will avoid catching my spare in a climb like this. I saw a video of yours where a JKU shattered their tailgate glass. Ouch :(. That would suck. That's why I always go topless or soft top

8yru6umu.jpg

Last edited:

DA RUNT

I just installed the AEV spare tire carrier on my Jeep and I love it! Smooth operation and relatively easy installation. I got mine from Northridge and installed it with my stock bumper. View attachment 94862 View attachment 94863

Are those 37's? Do you have more pics of different angles? Thinking of adding the carrier. Also how bad off center is it? It doesn't look bad in your pic but I've heard it sits to the right. Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I run the Trektop NX so it's the same angle as the slant back and with that top you lose a little bit of room anyways. :). Nice part about it is that it's just a bolt on adapter, so if I wanted to run spare tire in stock position I can ie putting hard top back on.

You are right it is a PITA to get up there, I wouldn't want to try it solo.

True, I too prefer to run a Trektop and it does rob you of the same space. I still do have a factory top though just in case I go on a much longer trip.

Having it up there will avoid catching my spare in a climb like this. I saw a video of yours where a JKU shattered their tailgate glass. Ouch :(. That would suck.

Yep, over the years, I've seen my fair share of tailgate glass break, tailgates get smashed in, spare tires rip off. Having said that, most of the damage I have seen was caused by spares mounted directly to the tailgate or caused by racks or jerry can mounts as you saw in the video and not necessarily from the spare tire. Of course, because of how I use my Jeep, I finally had to give up on swing out tire carriers altogether and move over to an EVO setup...

main.php

BTW, these are 40" tires you are looking at.

Maybe not as easy to open and close as some of the other tire carriers I've had but, it can take the abuse of bombing through the desert and without the tailgate making all kinds of noise, is still mounted vertically and I can remove and replace the spare by myself.

That's why I always go topless or soft top

Yeah, I prefer to run like that as well but, being that I drive my Jeep out to all the trails we run across the country, I don't always have the luxury of stripping down.

Coloradan

Are those 37's? Do you have more pics of different angles? Thinking of adding the carrier. Also how bad off center is it? It doesn't look bad in your pic but I've heard it sits to the right. Thanks

That's a 35 on the back. The AEV carrier holds the spare about 5" off-center, but it's not too bad. Here are a few more pictures! photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

Last edited:

JKFlyer

True, I too prefer to run a Trektop and it does rob you of the same space. I still do have a factory top though just in case I go on a much longer trip.

Yep, over the years, I've seen my fair share of tailgate glass break, tailgates get smashed in, spare tires rip off. Having said that, most of the damage I have seen was caused by spares mounted directly to the tailgate or caused by racks or jerry can mounts as you saw in the video and not necessarily from the spare tire. Of course, because of how I use my Jeep, I finally had to give up on swing out tire carriers altogether and move over to an EVO setup...

main.php

BTW, these are 40" tires you are looking at.

Maybe not as easy to open and close as some of the other tire carriers I've had but, it can take the abuse of bombing through the desert and without the tailgate making all kinds of noise, is still mounted vertically and I can remove and replace the spare by myself.

I dont bomb through dessert out here in NJ but I will tell you i LOVE the evo tire carrier...for my mall crawling at least !! HA. It gets lots of compliments! different use than intended when putting groceries in back of jeep, but well worth the extra step of taking pins in/out to achieve the look (and protection for when I do wheel) for the jeep. It's truly a work of art IMO. :thumb:

Coloradan

Thanks, any complaints? Would you recommend it for a 37?

My only small complaints are that the tire does sit up a little higher than other carriers, and the AEV third brake light won't work with my slabs. 37s will obscure even more of the rear view mirror, but the carrier can definitely handle it. I'm still looking for the best way to mount a third brake light.

DA RUNT

My only small complaints are that the tire does sit up a little higher than other carriers, and the AEV third brake light won't work with my slabs. 37s will obscure even more of the rear view mirror, but the carrier can definitely handle it. I'm still looking for the best way to mount a third brake light.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate your time.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
While my rig is at ORE, I am having my rear bumper and tire carrier switched from an AEV to a EVO setup. I am doing this more for sturdiness of the EVO setup but definitely still see the value of the AEV setup that I just sold. The AEV setup was nice. It was build with a tremendous amount of thought. If you go with a full width bumper, the bumper holds 5 gallons of water. I would never drink from it, but its a fairly well executed thought that comes with a pump. The carrier also uses IMO the most innovative gas carrier in the market. It doesnt take up a noticeable amount of room over just carrying the tire, but will allow you access to 10.5 gallons of fuel. My only gripe was the off-center location of the rear tire from a cosmetics perspective. Other than that, if I was looking for a carrier that swung out with the door, I would not hesitate to buy another AEV unit. On the pic below you can see the carrier with a 37" tire and can barely see the corner of the fuel carrier.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I've been running the AEV tire carrier setup and rear bumper for about three months and love it. The carrier is EXTREMELY solid and operates very smoothly in conjunction with normal tailgate operations.

While I was installing it, I was very impressed with the engineering and thoughtfulness that went into the design of the carrier. As others have mentioned, it does hold the tire higher than other carriers, and when used in conjunction with the fuel caddy, visibility out the rear window in nil at best. I have a 35" BFG KM2 mounted to it and my understanding is it will allow up to a 37" tire when used with the caddy.

I wish I had a better picture available, but I am stuck on Delta Airlines right now and this is all I have access to:

Hope this helps! :)
ERAU

Top Bottom