Need Advice Real BAD here...

arashi

To begin, I seriously think that people in Canada (or more specifically Quebec), don't see my needs the way I see it...

I'm working on a final plan for the upgrade on my JEEP. My 85% solution is the following:

1. Tires:

a. I totally scratch the idea to go 35', at first I wanted to do it in two steps (ref. one of my first post), and after studying the Idea its just a WASTE of good money-I mean to do it in two step;
b. 40' are illegal in Quebec, so we forget it;
c. Decision: 37' Nitto Mud-Graplers (37'/13.5/17);

2. Lift: The BIG QUESTION!!??!

a. Personally I don't like big lift (sorry for the believers), but I want more stability than clearance... I just read a Post of Eddie Discussing the issue

we like to keep our rigs sitting as low as they can go and so, we have moby sitting at about 4.5" above stock. most JK's sitting on 37's sit taller than moby on its 40's.

b. I was looking for nothing higher then 4'', and if there is a way of doing it lower I would do it (any tough/solution on that?-even extreme solution going to be considered at...);

c. For the make, I want to go with EVO for one simple reason: You can't all be wrong... ;)

3. For the differential: presently even if I have a RUBI, because it's automatic 2013 I have a 3,73, so I have to upgrade it. Since I want to keep my DANA 44 and not going to 60 yet, I want to get to differential not higher than 4.88 (for the size of the gearing/teeth breakage etc);

Now here's my problem: I went to 2 different shop (that I don't want to name here) and what they say was:

Shop 1:
-You need a lift of 6'' for 37'' taller look cooler :eek:;
-EVO is crap and no one use them :cheesy: I gave him the Project JK, and wayalife web site address for his education...:D
-I don't need Long arms, is just a wast of money, I gave him some reference I have on the internet :brows:;
-He was ALWAYS referring at the LOOK my JEEP could have !?%$! :crazyeyes: Seriously look is one thing but what I need is a good Off Road capacities... To what he answer: It comes hand to hand...
-At the end I king of understood what was happening; he didn't know crap about EVO, and didn't care...

Shop 2:
-Want me to go with the RUBICON express 4'', that got no long arm. Also they had a JEEP that had a lift of 4'' and 37'' tire and I wasn't sure about the Geometric of the build... Tires seems to be to close to one another...
-For EVO he told me he never installed them before but If it's what I wanted he would do them... :thinking: Ok I'm not very good with the Gimme Pig approach... It's kind of my JEEP, try it first to one of your JEEP, and then to mine... lol

My question (Eddie if you could spare me some time to answer this one, I would gladly appreciated....): what are my options for keeping my rig low but not killing to much it's off road capacities? I know that RUBICAT is on 37'' (and frankly it's 80% what I'm looking for...), can I have your toughs around this build (low / 37' etc.) ?

Solution:

-I'm beginning to think to take some vacation in California after the winter, and go directly to OFF ROAD EVOLUTION to make my build because I lost confidence in the shop close to me...

After all it's only 2999 miles from my house...
On the good side I could loose my American Honey Virginity over this... :cheesy:

Maybe there is a store closer to me, that could install my EVO lift...

No seriously I need your input on those topics: store, lift etc.

For the rest: bumper, skids, winch etc. I can do it my self.

Thank you all for your inputs.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, most shops will try really hard to sell you on what they have in stock and/or, what they will make the most profit on - period. Our Rubicat is running 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers with our bolt on coil overs set at 3.5" of lift. Granted, we are running trimmed fenders and if you want to keep your ride low, you will need to do the same or run a set of flat fenders like Bushwackers. At this low lift height, you can totally do it with adjustable short arms and that's an easy install that you can do yourself. Something to consider.

MTG

Caught the Bug
c. For the make, I want to go with EVO for one simple reason: You can't all be wrong... ;)

LOL! That's funny.

Are you doing coilovers or traditional coils and shocks? If the later, you can do it yourself for sure. If you are doing the bolt-on coilovers you can do it yourself. I assume you do not weld.

You don't "need" long arms.

My 5.13s with the pentastar is very, very nice. ;)

So Cal is a nice place to visit. :thumb:

Good luck!

RamP

Well you def. know what you want. I feel your pain though. Being from the East coast I'd like to go the Evo route but need to find someone out here that can install it.
I'm sure someone will chime in with some great advice for you. And I would stay away from a shop that you are not completely comfortable with doing work on your car. It sounds like you've done your research for the lift you want and a good shop should recognize this instead of trying to push their agenda on you.
Lastly , I'm all for your last option of the vacation to CA for the install. That woud be so great.

arashi

Unfortunately, most shops will try really hard to sell you on what they have in stock and/or, what they will make the most profit on - period. Our Rubicat is running 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers with our bolt on coil overs set at 3.5" of lift. Granted, we are running trimmed fenders and if you want to keep your ride low, you will need to do the same or run a set of flat fenders like Bushwackers. At this low lift height, you can totally do it with adjustable short arms and that's an easy install that you can do yourself. Something to consider.

Thanks,

-For the fenders It's already plan (I hate the look of the stock one anyway), and Bushwackers was my first choice, so no issues here.

-I'm happy to see to have your feed back, I even save money :brows: that I will be investing in another part.

LOL! That's funny.

I know!!! :yup:

Are you doing coilovers or traditional coils and shocks?

Since the answers I received, my wallet got more capable all of a sudden, since I'll be able to save money on the manpower to do it... wait I could pay myself some new coillovers!!! Any info on that sorry, don't know very much on those... any advantages to use them on my build

If the later, you can do it yourself for sure. If you are doing the bolt-on coilovers you can do it yourself. I assume you do not weld.

You don't "need" long arms.

My 5.13s with the pentastar is very, very nice. ;)

Sould I go that high (5.13) since I keep my DANA 44... I know it's the optimal differential ratio for 37'' I just want to make sure since a lot a history of breakage on people going to high on there ratio for the DANA 44... Just need reassuring... :crazyeyes:

So Cal is a nice place to visit. :thumb:

Good luck!

I will come, but I would prefer for doing some off roading not waiting for my rig to get done...

I'll come next summer for sure, just to say thanks... don't worry bout it ;)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sould I go that high (5.13) since I keep my DANA 44... I know it's the optimal differential ratio for 37'' I just want to make sure since a lot a history of breakage on people going to high on there ratio for the DANA 44... Just need reassuring... :crazyeyes:

The breakage you have seen with 5.13's is most likely in a dana 30 not a 44. You should be fine with 5.13's. Normally its 5.38's in a 44 that leave the R&P really small.

arashi

Well you def. know what you want. I feel your pain though. Being from the East coast I'd like to go the Evo route but need to find someone out here that can install it.
I'm sure someone will chime in with some great advice for you. And I would stay away from a shop that you are not completely comfortable with doing work on your car. It sounds like you've done your research for the lift you want and a good shop should recognize this instead of trying to push their agenda on you.
Lastly , I'm all for your last option of the vacation to CA for the install. That woud be so great.

Thanks!!!

I'm beginning to have a few solutions, forming up...

And since the people close to me don't know squat about the EVO, I'm as good as them to do it... I'll win probably some cool thing to had up to my rig with the money I'll save...

And for coming to Cal, In a year or two I'll invite you to Canada to do some runs, I'm working on a project now... more info soon enough.

Prepare you're self for some POUTINE... lol

arashi

The breakage you have seen with 5.13's is most likely in a dana 30 not a 44. You should be fine with 5.13's. Normally its 5.38's in a 44 that leave the R&P really small.

See!!! You are like a JEEP Psychiatrist, I'm ZEN now with the 5.13...

Thank you.

dhughes

Banned
I'm running a 3" lift and a 1" body lift with flat fenders on 37" pitbulls. Had to do some trimming in the rear. I think if I do a little more cutting I can do away with the body lift. At this lift I'm able to run stock drive shafts.
4uzebyjy.jpg
edabugu7.jpg

arashi

Nice Rig!!!

All the pieces are coming together... The more I'm looking at it, the more I think I'm going to with the 3.5 long arm kit from EVO... I just need to find a welder who as experience with that kind of stuff, and I'm set... (I already have a spot on the military base where I could do that...), looking good.

I just need info on the Coil Over Kit and I'm going to be good!!!

StrizzyChris

See!!! You are like a JEEP Psychiatrist, I'm ZEN now with the 5.13...

Thank you.

5.13's are better than 5.38's but its still thin and tall gears. running 37's and hard can still break them somewhat easily. I'm not trying to steer you away from this, because its still a good option, but I dont want you to think that 5.13's=no fear

arashi

5.13's are better than 5.38's but its still thin and tall gears. running 37's and hard can still break them somewhat easily. I'm not trying to steer you away from this, because its still a good option, but I dont want you to think that 5.13's=no fear

Destructor of confidence!!!

lol, I know. I won't feel Indestructible, with that but still feel relatively safe... Anyhow safe enough not to spend 8k to 10k for dana 60 on my fear...

Thanks for what we call in french Nuance...

Top Bottom