Need help deciding on a lift

Nelson130

Being that you have a 4 door you don't need to touch any of the other arms. The only arms you would need to change is the rear uppers and that's IF you get an aftermarket DS.

As for what arms to get I would look at anything that uses Johnny Joints so Evo, Currie, synergy, etc

Ok great info thanks for that, the EVO Enforcer is quickly moving to the top of the pack

mastrcruse

Out of your list on the 1st post and some of the other recommendations, I'd say go with an Evo or RK. Ive had the Rk x factor kit on for 25k miles and, paired with the Rancho 9000s, has been excellent both on road and off. Only thing I'd consider changing (if sticking with this setup) is changing the shocks to a fox with longer travel. My travel is limited by the Rancho's.

Evo's lift choices are also a great choice. With the Johnny Joints and plush coils, their stuff makes for a great ride and performance offroad too.

After that...pick your poison. What I benefited from was to find people around me that would let me drive their rigs with these lifts and went with what I thought was most comfortable. Either way you go, Evo or RK,...you'll be pleased.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The EVO Enforcer has gotten some great reviews thus far and I have been doing some research on it. I am curious if anyone has swapped out the other 6 control arms (kit comes with front lower adjustable control arms) and if so what brand of control arms would you recommend to compliment the kit?

With just 35" tires and the amount of lift you're looking at, you really don't need to replace all your control arms. I mean, if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket or you just want them to look cool, it certainly won't hurt to have them and they will allow you to make fine tune adjustments but again, they're far from needed. That being said, I have installed and tested a myriad of control arms and this is what I can tell you:

1. If you don't like squeaks and don't like the idea of having to maintain your joints, any control arm with bonded rubber clevite bushings will do that for you. In other words, what factory arms have. Full Traction and Clayton makes nice arms that have them as well on the frame end and rod ends or Johnny Joints on the axle end. JKS makes some too and they are unique in that they rotate in the middle of the arms.

2. If you think you're going to be running coil overs some day and have big flex, you really want something that has less bind and for that, I personally would recommend using arms with Johnny Joints or a combination of them and rod ends/uniballs. The later will offer zero bind but will offer no energy absorption and so you'd feel bump, crack and pebble without at least one end of the arm that has a clevite or Johnny Joint and that's why you don't see much of them. Arms I prefer that have Johnny Joints on both ends would include Currie and EVO. Both are good choices.

Also I am interested in hearing more from anyone running the Metal Cloak 3.5 Game Changer Lite w OME or Fox shocks and if anyone has any info on the Synergy 3" kit referenced in my original post. I haven't been able to find much info on that one.

There are a few folks running MetalCloak on here and I'm sure you'll hear from them soon with all kinds of praises. The fact that you're new and even considering them being that they're relatively a new company would suggest to me that their awesome advertising sold you on it. Of course, being that you're new here and listed out just about every company that you'd normally find being spoken highly of on forums such as my old one, JKF or on JKO, my first thought was that you were some kind of troll looking to stir the pot. But, assuming you're not and you really have no idea what I'm talking about, I would recommend you visit those forums as I'm sure you'll get all the positive feed back you're wanting on the kits you're looking at there.

Nelson130

With just 35" tires and the amount of lift you're looking at, you really don't need to replace all your control arms. I mean, if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket or you just want them to look cool, it certainly won't hurt to have them and they will allow you to make fine tune adjustments but again, they're far from needed. That being said, I have installed and tested a myriad of control arms and this is what I can tell you:

1. If you don't like squeaks and don't like the idea of having to maintain your joints, any control arm with bonded rubber clevite bushings will do that for you. In other words, what factory arms have. Full Traction and Clayton makes nice arms that have them as well on the frame end and rod ends or Johnny Joints on the axle end. JKS makes some too and they are unique in that they rotate in the middle of the arms.

2. If you think you're going to be running coil overs some day and have big flex, you really want something that has less bind and for that, I personally would recommend using arms with Johnny Joints or a combination of them and rod ends/uniballs. The later will offer zero bind but will offer no energy absorption and so you'd feel bump, crack and pebble without at least one end of the arm that has a clevite or Johnny Joint and that's why you don't see much of them. Arms I prefer that have Johnny Joints on both ends would include Currie and EVO. Both are good choices.

There are a few folks running MetalCloak on here and I'm sure you'll hear from them soon with all kinds of praises. The fact that you're new and even considering them being that they're relatively a new company would suggest to me that their awesome advertising sold you on it. Of course, being that you're new here and listed out just about every company that you'd normally find being spoken highly of on forums such as my old one, JKF or on JKO, my first thought was that you were some kind of troll looking to stir the pot. But, assuming you're not and you really have no idea what I'm talking about, I would recommend you visit those forums as I'm sure you'll get all the positive feed back you're wanting on the kits you're looking at there.

Thanks for the response, no trolling going on here it seems for each of the lift kits I listed as soon as I feel convinced one is the "best" I seem to find just as many negative reviews. That's why the high praise the Evo Enforcer has gotten has impressed me coupled with the fact I have not seen very many negative reviews compared to the other kits. I really just wanted to get a sense for what those with experience here have to say and inform my decision before I spend a lot of money.

In the end I plan to try to ride in or drive a jeep with whatever lift kits make the short list prior to final purchase.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I plan on getting the 4 inch EVO Enforcer kit at some point. I do not have any experience with any of the kits you mentioned or the EVO kit.

I will say, I've heard numerous times of people going from some of the kits you mentioned to one of the Enforcer kits. The only time I ever hear of people ditching one of the Enforcer kits, is when they go with the EVO bolt on coil overs or the EVO double throw down and EVO lever. So to me that says something about the Enforcer kits.

White lightning

White Lightning, pics would be great as well as an initial impressions when you drive it, most of my driving will be on road and my JK is my DD so you assessment of how the RK lift does in that capacity would be very helpful.

Dirt Foot, thanks for the additional info and picture of the bracket. The EVO is getting some great reviews and is definitely a player on my list now.

The responses are great I appreciate the info from everyone

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462598730.404425.jpg
Here is the finished product.

Rottenbelly

Did someone say Metalcloak?!
I ran the metalcloak on my previous jeep for 3 years before I sold it. Was running 4.5 lift with the synergy Springs, Fox resi shocks and the MC arms. I really liked the combination and ride and it was trouble free the whole time I owned it.
I wheeled it at moab, superlift in Arkansas, Smorr in Missouri, and hawks pride in Alabama. Drove it back and forth across the U.S.A multiple times. When I get ready to lift my 2nd jeep I will probably do the same. Being that it was a tall lift I felt I needed all adjustable control arms
That being said, with the 3 to 3.5 lift you could save some money and go with the evo and be able to do some other upgrades.
Haven't heard anything bad about it. Heck I even considered it.
RK I never cared for. Lots of guys in our club ran them and was always having problems with them. But that was 2- 3 years ago.
Maybe they have gotten better now.
Teraflex, I don't care for there products much either but love to watch Dennis videos.

Last edited:

Nelson130

White Lightening, thanks for the pics, I really like that stance of your Jeep with the lift

Rotten Belly, thanks for the additional info on Metal Cloak, it's good to hear from someone that has run the lift for several years to get an idea about maintenance and overall quality

I think I am getting narrowed down to EVO or Metal Cloak at this point as my top two.

EVO: has had consistently good reviews here and elsewhere I have looked to see what others have said
Question, are guys running the 3" EVO Enforcer running an adjustable front track bar or just the stock track bar?

MC: seems to get more good than bad reviews everywhere I have looked

RK: Still on the fence seems about 50/50 good bad across the board, unless I ride in a Jeep with one and really like it its a distant 3rd.

Synergy: Still haven't been able to find much good or bad on this one, would be interested in any experiences

Teraflex: is out it seems to get consistently poor reviews (poor durability, poor quality of parts are the recurring themes I see)

Last edited:

vdog0531

I have a 13 Jku with 2.5 X factor RK kit and have no complaints. It is the latest version and the first thing I noticed were how massive the control arms are. Is that needed? Probably not... But that doesn't mean I dont enjoy the fact that I have stronger parts on it than the factory arms. I ended up getting a kit with all 8 arms due to the mileage. My jeep was already a couple years old, and I had it previously lifted with a rancho "kit" and then a rubicon express lift. With some wear on the factory joints, it was a toss up of rounding up some take off arms or just buy a kit with new arms. I am running fox res shocks, steer smarts tie rod and drag link, flat fenders, 37's and everything has performed as started. I have no had any problems with rear coils being wonky. I've had no issues with the front sway bar hitting coils (something I've read a few times online). Although it's an aftermarket drag link, I have not done a flip, and handling aka bumpsteer, isn't an issue, but I'm also a little less lift than op is looking to do. Personally, I do not think you would go wrong with anything you've listed so far. "Fan boys" are everywhere, just depends on what forum you are on, as to what brand gets the nod. To say that any of your options would be "bad" or "wrong" would be a stretch. The best part about my RK lift, was after it was installed, the top was down, and I was cruising the coast or headed to trail... In other words.... Pick one and go enjoy your choice! Instead of busting your own balls about is the "perfect" lift

Nelson130

I have a 13 Jku with 2.5 X factor RK kit and have no complaints. It is the latest version and the first thing I noticed were how massive the control arms are. Is that needed? Probably not... But that doesn't mean I dont enjoy the fact that I have stronger parts on it than the factory arms. I ended up getting a kit with all 8 arms due to the mileage. My jeep was already a couple years old, and I had it previously lifted with a rancho "kit" and then a rubicon express lift. With some wear on the factory joints, it was a toss up of rounding up some take off arms or just buy a kit with new arms. I am running fox res shocks, steer smarts tie rod and drag link, flat fenders, 37's and everything has performed as started. I have no had any problems with rear coils being wonky. I've had no issues with the front sway bar hitting coils (something I've read a few times online). Although it's an aftermarket drag link, I have not done a flip, and handling aka bumpsteer, isn't an issue, but I'm also a little less lift than op is looking to do. Personally, I do not think you would go wrong with anything you've listed so far. "Fan boys" are everywhere, just depends on what forum you are on, as to what brand gets the nod. To say that any of your options would be "bad" or "wrong" would be a stretch. The best part about my RK lift, was after it was installed, the top was down, and I was cruising the coast or headed to trail... In other words.... Pick one and go enjoy your choice! Instead of busting your own balls about is the "perfect" lift

Vdog0531, thanks for the info on the RK lift..well put at the end I have a tendency to over think things and am confident I am on the right track with the kits I am looking at based on the feedback I have received from this thread.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Question, are guys running the 3" EVO Enforcer running an adjustable front track bar or just the stock track bar?

Stock track bar. You just run it with their drag link flip kit/front track bar relocation bracket - basically the same thing as the AEV. This will help to recenter your axle but more importantly, it will correct your steering geometry - something you'd want with 3" of lift or more.

Vdog0531, thanks for the info on the RK lift..well put at the end I have a tendency to over think things and am confident I am on the right track with the kits I am looking at based on the feedback I have received from this thread.

You know, you live in CA where there are TONS of guys with all kinds of lifts. Why not ask a few if they can take you for a test ride so that you can form your own opinion as opposed to just taking fanboys word for it on the internet. Over the last 9+ years, I've had the opportunity to personally install and test a wide array of JK lift kits made by a myriad of manufacturers and in spite of what some seem to think, they aren't all as good as they'd like to believe. Of course, that's just based on my opinion.

White lightning

Wayoflife can I get your professional opinion on the RK 3.5" xfactor and what you thought of the lift its self? Thanks in advance

swampdog

You know, you live in CA where there are TONS of guys with all kinds of lifts. Why not ask a few if they can take you for a test ride so that you can form your own opinion as opposed to just taking fanboys word for it on the internet. Over the last 9+ years, I've had the opportunity to personally install and test a wide array of JK lift kits made by a myriad of manufacturers and in spite of what some seem to think, they aren't all as good as they'd like to believe. Of course, that's just based on my opinion.

^^^^^This is great advice, and is FREE.

mds22

Best advice you will ever get ^^^
Everyone loves the lift they have and they think it's the best b/c it's all they know. Take opinions with a grain of salt that say- I have "brand x" and love it. It drives better than stock bla bla bla. Drive them and see for yourself.
I've put serval different brands on my jeep and have yet to find a better ride than my EVO leveling kit with Ranchos 9000s.
Recently put on the RK 1.5" triple rate coils to see the difference and removed them after a week the ride was so much worse. Same ride height, caster, shocks, etc. Ride quality is subjective BUT Even the local RK fanboy I know had to admit the ride was night and day better with the EVOs.

Nelson130

I plan to find some folks with different lifts and ask for a ride before I pull the trigger. I am out of Cali until June for work so when I get back I will get that rolling

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wayoflife can I get your professional opinion on the RK 3.5" xfactor and what you thought of the lift its self? Thanks in advance

LOL!! I am far from being a "professional" but I can give you my 2¢ if you really want it.

1. I have tested coils that I prefer more over their multi-rate coils. Having installed and thoroughly tested them, I found that the soft end of the coil was running solid as soon as the Jeep was back on the ground and this left you riding on the remaining firmer side. Also, the rear coils seemed to sit lower then the fronts giving you a nose high or ass down look. The addition of coil spacers in the rear did helped to address this problem though.

2. Their updated control arm design is an improvement over their previous design and I don't have any problems other than the fact that they're often sold as "mid-arms" and in my opinion, are nothing more than being an inch too long. If you get them, I would recommend that you request them in standard factory length as you can still adjust them to where you need them to be and without any issues.

3. At 3.5" of lift, I personally feel that there's a benefit to correcting your steering geometry and find that a drag link flip/front track bar relocation kit will serve you better than would just an adjustable front track bar. I also prefer a 2007-10 factory track bar over most aftermarket track bars as it's strong and will stay squeak free without any maintenance. It is what I run on both my JK's now and this after testing out a myriad of aftermarket track bars.

Again, this is all just my opinion but I do hope it helps you out.

White lightning

LOL!! I am far from being a "professional" but I can give you my 2¢ if you really want it.

1. I have tested coils that I prefer more over their multi-rate coils. Having installed and thoroughly tested them, I found that the soft end of the coil was running solid as soon as the Jeep was back on the ground and this left you riding on the remaining firmer side. Also, the rear coils seemed to sit lower then the fronts giving you a nose high or ass down look. The addition of coil spacers in the rear did helped to address this problem though.

2. Their updated control arm design is an improvement over their previous design and I don't have any problems other than the fact that they're often sold as "mid-arms" and in my opinion, are nothing more than being an inch too long. If you get them, I would recommend that you request them in standard factory length as you can still adjust them to where you need them to be and without any issues.

3. At 3.5" of lift, I personally feel that there's a benefit to correcting your steering geometry and find that a drag link flip/front track bar relocation kit will serve you better than would just an adjustable front track bar. I also prefer a 2007-10 factory track bar over most aftermarket track bars as it's strong and will stay squeak free without any maintenance. It is what I run on both my JK's now and this after testing out a myriad of aftermarket track bars.

Again, this is all just my opinion but I do hope it helps you out.

Great advice. Thanks for you 2c lol. I will have to look into what you recommended [emoji16]

rogerk93

I have a 4 inch Currie lift I love the lift as it was the most complete kit on the market, Johnny joint control arms, beefy as F, and the warranty the only thing that is not the greatest is the ride. It is a little firm but I don't mind it actually enjoy the truck feel

Top Bottom