Need help diagnosing this noise, please!!

ouroborus2012

Ok guys...I've searched and searched and I thought I had this ridiculous noise narrowed down to the "water pump chirp" .. So, I finally got around to changing the water pump and low and behold, the noise persists!! I now think it is somewhere in the undercarriage and it sounds like it's in the tranny area, but the acoustics make it difficult to tell. I just changed the tranny fluid today to eliminate AT LEAST that part! And it's still there... I dunno if it's a bearing or what. I'm still learning :thumb:

Could some of you knowledgeable fellers take a listen and give me some thoughts? I'm at a loss. It's quite annoying and concerning me now that it appears to be transmission related. Thanks in advance!!

My original recording was terrible, but I found this one which is 100% what mine sounds like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3EuBRBkq5k

Thanks folks!!

Does it go away when you press the clutch pedal?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nope, doesn't go away with pressing the clutch. The noise stays both in gear and in neutral. Got underneath and listened REAL good today and it's definitely inside the transmission housing. What would make that noise in there?? It's right at the very front of the tranny.

If you look at where he's filming in his video, that's the exact spot that it's strongest and i assume the source

Last edited:
What did the trans oil look like? Any nasty filings in it? Is the gearbox behaving exactly it always has?

What did the trans oil look like? Any nasty filings in it? Is the gearbox behaving exactly it always has?

the tranny fluid actually looked quite nice! There were definitely filings on the magnet, but they were all just small "shavings", for lack of a better term. It's acts perfectly fine minus that annoying noise

the tranny fluid actually looked quite nice! There were definitely filings on the magnet, but they were all just small "shavings", for lack of a better term. It's acts perfectly fine minus that annoying noise
So, if there is no change at all in the noise when the clutch is in, its possible its not inside the gearbox itself as nothing should be turning inside there. So something inside the bell housing area possibly? Been in any water lately?

Is there any way to feel inside the bell housing, like an inspection plate? If so, feel inside for an excess amount of clutch dust and/or metal shavings.

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

so you say there is no change in noise no matter if you are driving clutch in or out, or in neutral or in gear? does it change with revving of the engine?

Have you replaced the idler pulley and belt tensioner? Have you recently replaced the starter, and if so, did you install the starter shim ring? It sounds like a bearing running dry, but I wouldn't eliminate a metal object coming into contact with moving parts.

nope, doesn't go away with pressing the clutch. The noise stays both in gear and in neutral. Got underneath and listened REAL good today and it's definitely inside the transmission housing. What would make that noise in there?? It's right at the very front of the tranny.

If you look at where he's filming in his video, that's the exact spot that it's strongest and i assume the source

Does it chance with engine rpm?

Is there any way to feel inside the bell housing, like an inspection plate? If so, feel inside for an excess amount of clutch dust and/or metal shavings.

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes there is a little "guard" on the bottom of the bell housing at the front of the transmission, right behind the engine oil pan. It's held on with 6 bolts either 15 or 16mm...I actually had mine off tonight haha

Yes there is a little "guard" on the bottom of the bell housing at the front of the transmission, right behind the engine oil pan. It's held on with 6 bolts either 15 or 16mm...I actually had mine off tonight haha

the op should remove said cover and then have someone fire it up then look with a light and see if he can see anything rubbing/ grinding but if he still has a warranty then take it to the dealership and get it fixed for free:yup:

the op should remove said cover and then have someone fire it up then look with a light and see if he can see anything rubbing/ grinding but if he still has a warranty then take it to the dealership and get it fixed for free:yup:

There's not a whole lot to see...you can see the bottom of the flywheel and stick your hand up in there and feel the bottom of the bell housing for anything abnormal; chunks, bearing balls, etc. just a warning there will be a good amount of dust from the clutch since there's no good way for it to easily escape

There's not a whole lot to see...you can see the bottom of the flywheel and stick your hand up in there and feel the bottom of the bell housing for anything abnormal; chunks, bearing balls, etc. just a warning there will be a good amount of dust from the clutch since there's no good way for it to easily escape

yup but you can see enough :) its one of the many techniques i use when faced with this noise complaint at work :yup:

Just throwing a though. Sometimes the sounds may seems to come from a specific location but is in fact coming from somewhere else. I'd check again a couple times and if you can listen with a stethoscope it would help a lot.

That sounds like what another member had and it was the heat shield around the exhaust in that area. Check there to make sure the heat shield does not have any broken welds. Easy to look at and does not require servicing the transmission. :twocents:

How about motor mount tranny mount. I never paid attention to the mounts so I don't know what they look like but if a bolt broke it could be rubber on rubber, rubbing. Idler pully etc moving part would go faster slower with revs. Constant sound could mean body mount or rubber exhaust hanger making noise. get out something a little better than WD-40 and dab a little here and dab a little there. What was the last 3 mods you did to your rig? I would start with the inspection of them first.

If you don't find it then just tell people you are grinding up a cat in there.

Top Bottom