Need help diagnosing this noise, please!!

Alright guys, wow that's a lot of info. Sorry i'm late to return with information, i'm on nightshift and sleeping all day! .... So, yes the noise DOES change with RPM's and it definitely doesn't make a difference if i'm in gear or out of gear. I have been through water on a few occasions, if that helps.

I have not replaced the starter or any pulley's and it really doesn't sound like that. As a matter of fact, i really can't even hear it when I open the hood. All I hear is the sound of the engine. I would think i'd be able to pinpoint it if it were in there. But, who knows!

It's definitely not the heat shield mount, i've already been through that one and have it strapped :)

It most definitely sounds like it's coming from EXACTLY where the camera is pointing on the video I attached, but the acoustics to make it difficult to pinpoint. I have NO CLUE what's happening inside the tranny housing though, so i'm just saying that's where it appears to be coming from. I'm gonna have to do some research on how to check the bell housing and all like you guys suggested, i'm still learning the ways of the Jeep and how to be a mechanic :)

Someone mentioned something about it being the throwout bearing, but from what i've looked at for the sounds IT would make, that doesn't sound the same... could that be the culprit?

I greatly appreciate all the input, keep it coming! I won't be able to check ANYTHING for the next few days because we've got about 16 inches of snow falling on us... blah

Last edited:
Here's what my bad throwout bearing sounded like. . .I have some pictures I can share too of that little housing/shield that I was talking about in my earlier post

Here's what my bad throwout bearing sounded like. . .I have some pictures I can share too of that little housing/shield that I was talking about in my earlier post

Kind of sounds similar doesn't it? but if the release bearing is shitting itself I would expect at least a noticeable change in the noise when the pedal is depressed? Mines an auto so Im not familiar with the fork setup in these. Can you see inside the bell housing through where the clutch fork comes out? If so try to pull the fork back a little (with engine running) so the bearing is definitely not in contact with the pressure plate and you should be able to eliminate or confirm that it is or is not the release bearing..

Kind of sounds similar doesn't it? but if the release bearing is shitting itself I would expect at least a noticeable change in the noise when the pedal is depressed? Mines an auto so Im not familiar with the fork setup in these. Can you see inside the bell housing through where the clutch fork comes out? If so try to pull the fork back a little (with engine running) so the bearing is definitely not in contact with the pressure plate and you should be able to eliminate or confirm that it is or is not the release bearing..

It does sound kinda similar, only yours is WAY louder. On mine, the noise definitely changes when I press the gas, not the clutch.. I know absolutely ZERO about what's happening inside the bellhousing, so I'm gonna have to do some research on how to do the checks you guys are recommending.

Thanks for all of this input, it's very helpful!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

while I recommend to do as much as you can mechanically to better understand your rig, sometimes you also have to accept knowledge limits. If it is still under warranty, take in for warranty work.
If it's out of warranty, take it to a good transmission shop and they can do a quick inspection, call them and find out how much for a diagnostics...it'll save you time and further damage to yourself or the transmission if you start disassembling and don't know what you're doing. :twocents:

while I recommend to do as much as you can mechanically to better understand your rig, sometimes you also have to accept knowledge limits. If it is still under warranty, take in for warranty work.
If it's out of warranty, take it to a good transmission shop and they can do a quick inspection, call them and find out how much for a diagnostics...it'll save you time and further damage to yourself or the transmission if you start disassembling and don't know what you're doing. :twocents:

oh yeah, i definitely don't plan on digging way in to the tranny! hehe

cool - just thinking you've had the noise for a while and they can at least eliminate if it's the trans

Yea if there's no change when you press the clutch pedal, then I'm pretty sure it's NOT your throwout bearing. Now I'm even more interested on what it could be lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea if there's no change when you press the clutch pedal, then I'm pretty sure it's NOT your throwout bearing. Now I'm even more interested on what it could be lol

Yeah, that's why i'm confused too... I hear it both ways from folks.. :thinking:

Yeah, that's why i'm confused too... I hear it both ways from folks.. :thinking:

You could pull the little shield/guard off of the bottom of the bell housing and start the jeep up to verify that's where the noise is coming from...I can't link right now on my phone but if you go to my build thread it's within my last 5 posts. I have a picture of the trans with it off so you know where to look

You could pull the little shield/guard off of the bottom of the bell housing and start the jeep up to verify that's where the noise is coming from...I can't link right now on my phone but if you go to my build thread it's within my last 5 posts. I have a picture of the trans with it off so you know where to look

Sounds good, bro.. I'll dig it up, thanks!

Top Bottom