Need input from people in Arizona Phoenix area or SoCal...

Wow...your asking a lot for not knowing your wants, needs, or likes. I've lived here in AZ most my life (over 40+years) and have worked (LV, SoCal, AZ) and traveled though out the SW over the years and haven't found a better place to want too move to. The Phoenix market is strong (best in the US currently) so work is out here, but the heat is some thing one must deal with for 4 months a year (the other 8 are the best around). But AZ is diverse in weather and terrain, from 7000 ft elevation pine trees and snow (Flagstaff area) to high desert 4-5000 ft elevation mid climate (Payson & Prescott) to valley desert like Phx to Tucson, from city to rural farm / desert. Phx is a VERY large metropolitan area of many cities which some are good and some bad for different reasons. As CrazyCasey said above, the valley is big and you don't want to have to commute to the opposite side daily, but if you work construction, you can't avoid it... I know, as I've been in construction for 27 years and the location changes every 8-12 month! Like Overlander said, come out to travel the area or at least plan to rent at first and get settled in before you buy. I'll help if I can... :twocents:

mjbjw

Well finally decided to shit or get off the pot in moving west, looking for drier climates for the wife due to health reasons. Any input would be appreciated on areas to look for homes and machine shops to work at or stay away from or construction companies to look into. I will be heading out ahead of the family. Also want to try and be within a good school district for the kids..

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

I was stationed in Goodyear for 6 years....great area and the schools have all been built up in the last ten years....stay north of the 10 and west of the 303 loop.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Born and raised in SoCal and, while I love CA, the politics, taxes are enough to run me out of the state. The one thing that CA has over AZ or NV is jobs. If you need to move somewhere a bit more economical, I would more around the Bakersfield area. Lots of oil work out there and good paying jobs.

I personally want to move to NV as there is no state income tax, is much more friendly to the self-employed and housing is cheap. Jobs aren't as plentiful but I love the desert and, if you're up in the Reno area, you're right up against the Sierra Nevada mountains.

AZ is really nice as well and there are good jobs to be found in Phoenix. If you get up into the Flagstaff area, you need to be aware that it snows up there.

Wherever you end up, if you make it out this way, let us know. We'll take you out wheeling :)

munstie

We have been looking in Peoria for the most part, it's gonna happen just a matter of how soon gotta few loose ends to tie up here and then I'm out find a place to rent just to get to know the area. And will definitely take you up on that offer Eddie and find out what west coast wheeling is all about.

Army_Vet

Banned
I love the desert

I have to agree with Eddie here; I spent 7 years in the Mojave Desert... I believe there is such a thing as desert amnesia... You tend to forget the times where it is 114* and it sux! I seem to remember only the beauty of the desert....

munstie

I showed my wife the jewel trip Eddie posted and the first thing she said was why couldn't we be out their already lol:D
And I know my boys would've gotta kick outta it although my oldest would probably ask where's Moby

Last edited:

CRAZYCASEY

munstie said:
Looking for a good neighborhood good schools and yes would like to stay at least an hour drive max wherever I find a job out there, which has yet to be determined. 2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Are you looking for a newer or older area? Do you care about HOA's? Do you want a small yard, large yard or acre plus, or would a condo or patio home be preferred? Is having nightlife close by important or would you prefer a master planned family community? These are the things that will help us help you find what you are looking for. Let me know I would love to help anyway I can.

munstie

Are you looking for a newer or older area? Do you care about HOA's? Do you want a small yard, large yard or acre plus, or would a condo or patio home be preferred? Is having nightlife close by important or would you prefer a master planned family community? These are the things that will help us help you find what you are looking for. Let me know I would love to help anyway I can.

Definitely want a house decent lot size not to keen on hoa but depends what is offered in the subdivision. Would like to find a kid friendly neighborhood, found an opening at Boeing in Mesa gonna be sending in a resume tomorrow. From what I'm gathering it seems majority of the industry is on the east edge of Phoenix.

Diver_matt

Born & raised in AZ. Lived in so cal last 10. West phx is still growing. I'd steer clear of Avondale area. At least shoot for surprise area or even a bit further north. So cal is more costly in almost every way. Real estate is much more. Gas is 30-50 cents more per gallon. But those summer months others have mentioned, access to beaches and snow make it somewhat worthwhile. Can't speak much for jobs since I'm military. Regardless, good luck with your search and move. Pretty sure you won't regret it.

I put my signature....now I just have ink on my screen.

munstie

Interview on Monday,man I can't wait to get outta Illinois!!!!!!

Attachments

• 1385274412532.jpg
    1385274412532.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 78

BadApple

Ive lived in Surprise for the past 2 years and love it! Im currently living in South Korea but the wife and kids are still there. There area a few fabricating shops there as well as some construction. The glendale airport is always hiring and with the 303 getting redone there are so many job opportunities coming!!! Good luck with your search and maybe we can do a run when i come back next year!!!

munstie

Hopefully find out tomorrow if I'll be in Phoenix Wednesday. Fingers crossed:thumbup:

Sent from the"Zone of Influence"

13JKURAZ

You'll absolutely love it out here in the Phoenix area. I grew up in San Diego and really miss the beach. But there is just something about the desert that keeps me happy. Even in the summer! Great jeep community and trails galore out here also! Good luck!

Top Bottom