Need some advice from coffee snobs (or anybody that has mastered at-home brewing).

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thanks mucho, Pastor. Yep I love French press coffee but as my cholesterol is already high I have to avoid it. French press coffee has a high oily fraction to it with a lot of cafestol in it. Cafestol can really pump up your LDL cholesterol and that's not good. Coffee brewed with paper filters have a much lower cafestol content. Supposedly the K-cup and other single serve type coffees have a lower cafestol content as well. I really have no way of knowing that for sure, though.

Interesting. I need to research this a bit. There are many things that impact (lower) cholesterol...without drugs. Hopefully you are on the right path and can get back to enjoying what you love.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Love French press, but I don't have time. Recently switched to using a kuerig with the reusable filter. 1) I avoid the cost of k-cups 2) I avoid the waste of k-cups 3) I can use the grinds for my compost pile and 4) I can enjoy 100% Kona coffee.

Oh and I typically start the day off with some "bullet proof" coffee. 1-3tbs high quality butter, 1-3tbs MCT oil added to the coffee and blended to a creamy perfection. :)

Panda

Me too!

So I used the Keurig. LOL

I was just watching videos on the V60 and Melitta pour overs. Talk about an art form! I'm guessing the first few cups a person makes with one of those would not be the optimal result. Looks like you really have to fine tune your technique. I'll bet that's a great cup of coffee!

Also what is everyone's favorite coffee? I have a partner from New Orleans that always gives us a brick of French roast Community Coffee for Christmas every year that we use in the lounge coffee maker. That is excellent coffee. As I already mentioned, I'm particular to original Dunkin' Donuts coffee as well.

Yes this is a great cup, technique is not to hard just keep the water hot and don't let the melita go empty til it's done
And here in NorCal we have peets coffee which is my fav, medium roast Dominican or Ethiopian :yup:

Panda

Love French press, but I don't have time. Recently switched to using a kuerig with the reusable filter. 1) I avoid the cost of k-cups 2) I avoid the waste of k-cups 3) I can use the grinds for my compost pile and 4) I can enjoy 100% Kona coffee.

Oh and I typically start the day off with some "bullet proof" coffee. 1-3tbs high quality butter, 1-3tbs MCT oil added to the coffee and blended to a creamy perfection. :)

Nothing like 100% Kona but it's so dam expensive here

r2fasani

Me too!
Also what is everyone's favorite coffee? I have a partner from New Orleans that always gives us a brick of French roast Community Coffee for Christmas every year that we use in the lounge coffee maker. That is excellent coffee. As I already mentioned, I'm particular to original Dunkin' Donuts coffee as well.

This is a good 100% Kona: http://koinoniacoffeeco.com/
Full disclosure, they go to my brother's church in Kona.

But my all time favorite has to be Hula Daddy Kona Sweet. Awesome.

Otherwise, I stick to locally roasted coffee, roasted in the last couple days. Anything older and I won't get through a half pound before it's not worth the money. In Sac, Temple is good. Also, Old Soul. In Modesto, Preservation Coffee and Tea is the only place to get decent coffee. They have Olympia, Barefoot, Insight, and others rotating through.

Still looking forward to trying an aeropress though.

Jaydoc1

I've read about that stuff. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that might be even worse for cholesterol than French press coffee. But only slightly. LOL

MTG

Caught the Bug
I've read about that stuff. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that might be even worse for cholesterol than French press coffee. But only slightly. LOL

Probably not. Contrary to popular believe, high cholesterol and/or high fat foods DO NOT cause high cholesterol. :eek: (need a mind blown icon)

But I have to admit the cafestol reference in your post stumped me.

It's great BTW. Totally awesome for getting the brain pumping on all cylinders first thing in the morning. :rock:

r2fasani

It's great BTW. Totally awesome for getting the brain pumping on all cylinders first thing in the morning. :rock:

^^^ This. Nothin better than bulletproof in the morning. Add a touch of cinnamon to the right coffee blend and it's even better.

MTG

Caught the Bug
^^^ This. Nothin better than bulletproof in the morning. Add a touch of cinnamon to the right coffee blend and it's even better.

I'm trying some cinnamon tomorrow. I think I read someone used cocoa too. Might give that a whirl this week. :yup:

Speeddmn

All this coffee talk makes me want a cup.. i'm very simple in my coffee making. at home, i insert whatever flavor of k-cup the wife bought and hit big cup, sip till empty. At work i take the filter and filler up to where i feel like it enough and add water to the maker and turn on. Never been a fan of the flavored stuff, just normal crushed up beans with hot water.

pastorwug

I have some friends that use these Chemex devices and swear by them.
It's a carafe with special paper filters that work much like the V60 system.
Weigh out your coffee, weigh out your water, pour over coffee in filter, wait for bloom, swirl remainder of hot water through filter.

product_classic_01.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
man you guys are making me look like a coffee noob lol i just have a 12 cup coffee maker and put my flavored grounds in there. currently drinking a blend from ocean city NJ coffee co. thats really good. its a chocolate peanut butter pecan roast.

pastorwug

man you guys are making me look like a coffee noob lol i just have a 12 cup coffee maker and put my flavored grounds in there. currently drinking a blend from ocean city NJ coffee co. thats really good. its a chocolate peanut butter pecan roast.

A chocolate peanut butter pecan roast? Juan Valdez may be rolling over in his grave! :cheesy:

Crawler Kitty

Yes this is a great cup, technique is not to hard just keep the water hot and don't let the melita go empty til it's done
And here in NorCal we have peets coffee which is my fav, medium roast Dominican or Ethiopian :yup:

Technique....LOL....I don't DARE try to make a cup of coffee for Panda. It's a ritual for him in the morning from the grinding of the beans (the grinder is lifted and shaken while the bean's are grinding) to the water temp (the kettle is set back on the burner until the Melita has drained low enough to put more water in) AND you must not let the water drain all the way through before your cup is full or the grounds turn to "thick mud" (his words) and the water won't seep the beans properly....in all fairness it is hands down the best cup of coffee I've had!!! Hopefully now that I've razzed him he'll continue to make me coffee on the weekends. Love you Panda!!:kisswink:

Last edited:
Top Bottom