Need some advice from coffee snobs (or anybody that has mastered at-home brewing).

stweasel

The Melita is good, another way is to "cafe Americano"....I double shot espresso and pour hot water on it. If you want a drip machine I prefer the cone filters and make sure you grind fresh (preferably a burr grinder as the grind makes a big difference)
IMAG0936.jpg

Last edited:
I know you said that you've had to exclude the french press so this probably does no good, but that's what I use whenever possible. In a rush, I'll just use the Keurig in my office, but the coffee sucks.

On the weekends, I enjoy making cappuccino or espresso. I like mine pretty simple. I usually make 3-4 double shots and steam about a quarter cup of milk. Use a stainless steel steaming pitcher right out of the freezer for a more firm froth. Top it with a little cinnamon and it's like breakfast in a cup. Occasionally I'll mix chocolate syrup in the milk before steaming and make a mocha. MILES better than the $5 cup from S-Bucks.

biggy

I have the nespresso vertuoline. It makes a good single cup of coffee or nespresso. But damn are the refils expensive.
The nespresso is by far the best of the pod machines imo. I used to roast and grind my own beans but just don't have the time anymore. I also prefer the European models over the vertuoline . More flavor but it comes with a price . The pods are expensive and I've tried the knockoff pods but they are not as good so i stick with the originals. It's worth it to me.

My machine
46baed12a4ca2b3d2be9d7f4ed74eb86.jpg

Last edited:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
All this coffee talk makes me want a cup.. i'm very simple in my coffee making. at home, i insert whatever flavor of k-cup the wife bought and hit big cup, sip till empty. At work i take the filter and filler up to where i feel like it enough and add water to the maker and turn on. Never been a fan of the flavored stuff, just normal crushed up beans with hot water.

^^This^^ I thought there was only Folgers and the $5 cup at Starbucks. Guess I have a lot to learn. :thinking:

hbkid22

We use Nespresso. If you like to make cappuccino's or anything besides black coffee it is nice but can be a bit pricey. We have a Citiz with the frother but I just stick to Americano's.

07JKSahara

Nespresso and French Press. I don't boil the water, you have to get it right before. Nespresso for when I'm in a hurry, but it can be a "full bodied" cup if you need a jolt.

StrizzyChris

If you are wanting the best, quickest, AND cheap but great quality cup of coffee, then I agree it's got to be a French press. If you have a little more time, then making an Americana using a stove top espresso maker like this is another great option and dirt cheap.

bialietti-espresso-maker-10.jpg

another way is to "cafe Americano"....I double shot espresso and pour hot water on it.....make sure you grind fresh (preferably a burr grinder as the grind makes a big difference)
View attachment 111083

/\/\This is easily my favorite cup of coffee ever! (edited out certain parts to focus on what I personally like) Burr grinders minutes before brewing will make any method of coffee prep 10 folds better.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Some say French Press is the way to go. They definitely make a good cup of coffee.
I use a Bunn coffee maker and the Kirkland brand Starbucks in the green bag. $10.49 for 2 lbs. it makes the best tasting pot of coffee you will ever find. My second fav is Christmas Blend from Starbucks.
On the trail we use the instant Starbucks pouches and Ray's jet boil.

Speeddmn

its 739 am and my work coffee pot just broke, as in burner has no heat and it didnt brew....like a teraflex tire carrier! oh Snap!:cheesy:

r2fasani

The nespresso is by far the best of the pod machines imo. I used to roast and grind my own beans but just don't have the time anymore. I also prefer the European models over the vertuoline . More flavor but it comes with a price . The pods are expensive and I've tried the knockoff pods but they are not as good so i stick with the originals. It's worth it to me.

I have the nespresso and frother too. Great machine for the quick espresso and cappuccino. I would love to get a Gaggia or Rancilio but can't justify the price... Right now.

r2fasani

I have some friends that use these Chemex devices and swear by them.
It's a carafe with special paper filters that work much like the V60 system.
Weigh out your coffee, weigh out your water, pour over coffee in filter, wait for bloom, swirl remainder of hot water through filter.

View attachment 111073

They are great pour overs. I use this when I want a little more than just my V60.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
The Melita is good, another way is to "cafe Americano"....I double shot espresso and pour hot water on it. If you want a drip machine I prefer the cone filters and make sure you grind fresh (preferably a burr grinder as the grind makes a big difference)
View attachment 111083

I have this breville.. Love it! Use it a ton because I work from home so starbucks isn't convenient.

jeeeep

Hooked
I just learned more about coffee makers/methods in this thread than I have in ummm ever....
I thought I was doing good using filtered water my maker which I know uses k-cups but couldn't tell you the brand without looking at it :thinking:

French press for me as well. Use an $8 one from Ikea of all places. Grind my beans with a Hario mini mill and use a Bonavita programmable kettle set for 200°F. Nothing better then a proper cup of coffee!

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on one of the certified automatic drip makers like the Bonavita or Technivorm.

Just picked this bad boy up.
KitchenAid "pour over" coffee brewer.

Takes a while longer compared to a traditional drip machine.
Basically all it does is pours 200* water over the grounds periodically to let the grounds seep and drip into the pot.
Kinda stoked on it. Don't have to stand around pouring water anymore.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416726398.295606.jpg

Great thread learned lots seems I need to step my coffee game up a bit.

Getting tired of the Tassimo.....gonna give the filter over the mug trick a shot.

Top Bottom