Need some expert input

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Then again, i may leave the 30 for a while and lock the rear. Lol. Fml.

You could do that and it's what I did. I regeared my 30 but left it open and locked the rear.

As for the axle I would rather see you spend the money on the pr just for the safety aspect of it since the Rubi 44 and the 30 are the same axle outside of the diff being bigger on the 44. It's still gonna bend in the same spot.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
The axle is my next biggest hump. Im pretty torn on which route to go there. I know a pr44 is the ideal route, but your also talkin 4k easy. I just dont know if the budget will every allow for that. Thats alot of money to justify for the wheeling i get to do. A take off 44 is more in my money ball park with two young kids. I know you dont gain as much but i wonder if for me, it would be the better fit. Decisions decisions.

You go halfsies with me on a PR44 and I'll gift you my D44. Sound like a deal?

BLK HULK

Lol. Thanks scott. I want to do the axle/gears/locker first though but its probably gonna be a bit. The tcase is doable for now.

This sounds like a good idea as well, but in the end its not a cheap option.

On our 13, we did gears truss, gussets, sleeves front and gears truss, ARB locker in rear.
Arb locker was not cheap, guess what I needed a ARB compressor(got the dual one), but then you need more things for your ARB compressor. NOT a cheap upgrade.

The guy who installed it did the front first, and charged $700, for gears truss gussets and sleeves. He took the Axles out.
He charged $700 for the rear truss, gears and locker install. And about $200 for a custom bracket and install of the ARB compressor in the rear.

After all the we are still running a D30 in the front and d44 rear with stock axles shafts..
With the money it cost we could have bought a (I like rockjock) currie d44 front.

Guess its all what you want.

Gears $1100 with kit
locker 1600 after taxes
ARB compressor with everything needed for on board air $1000
sleeves 230
gussets ??? don't remember
front and rear truss ??? don't remember about $500 for front and rear

front install $700
rear install $700

close to $5000 after install

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I'm with everyone else, keep what you have and save up for front axle and gears. It sucks starting over, I'm doing it now.

swampdog

You could do that and it's what I did. I regeared my 30 but left it open and locked the rear.

As for the axle I would rather see you spend the money on the pr just for the safety aspect of it since the Rubi 44 and the 30 are the same axle outside of the diff being bigger on the 44. It's still gonna bend in the same spot.

New to the forum and to jeeping, but honest, informative responses like these are awesome.

Right Rudder

I wouldn't sweat the T-case ratio at all honestly; I'm under the impression it's no stronger, just different gearing (Vets correct me if I'm wrong here, after a little research I keep confusing myself and am now unsure). I have a Rubi and would sometimes love to be able to put out a little more wheelspin in 4-Lo. I'm sure you encounter your share of slimy stuff doing normal trails/rocks in Ky even if you detest mud and go out of your way to avoid it like me.

I'm sort of currently in the same spot as you minus the enforcer and have so far done all the work myself, wouldn't dream of trading it in.

Last edited:
I'm sort of currently in the same spot as you minus the enforcer and have so far done all the work myself, wouldn't dream of trading it in.
i dont want to get rid of it at all. I love it. Sometimes i get ancy and need the proverbial smack in the face. Lol

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I wouldn't sweat the T-case ratio at all honestly; I'm under the impression it's no stronger, just different gearing (Vets correct me if I'm wrong here). I have a Rubi and yearn to sometimes be able to put out a little more wheelspin in 4-Lo. I'm sure you encounter your share of slimy stuff doing normal trails/rocks in Ky even if you detest mud and go out of your way to avoid it like me.

Correct the rubi t case is just geared differently. In low range a sport/Sahara t case is 2.73:1 while the Rubi is 4:1. The Rubi is better strictly for off roading

jkwebbie

Don't sell it!!!! Are you crazy????!!!!

Just upgrade in stages. What I would do is get the ARB twin air compressor with the mount and install it first because you can run it for air tools and airing up. Plus its one of the cheapest upgrades on your list.

Then go with regear and locking the rear with an ARB. If you wanted you could chromo the rear but honestly I wouldn't until you broke a stock shaft. Keep the front open.

Then after that, buy a Prorock 44, 60, junkyard axles, Rockwell's, whatever the hell you want and wheel the sbit out of your Jeep!!!!

Plus you can get a little money back by selling the Dana 30 once you upgrade to a bigger front. It won't be much, but it may pay for a part you really want/need in the future or pay for labor.

Don't sell it!!!! Are you crazy????!!!!

Just upgrade in stages. What I would do is get the ARB twin air compressor with the mount and install it first because you can run it for air tools and airing up. Plus its one of the cheapest upgrades on your list.

Then go with regear and locking the rear with an ARB. If you wanted you could chromo the rear but honestly I wouldn't until you broke a stock shaft. Keep the front open.

Then after that, buy a Prorock 44, 60, junkyard axles, Rockwell's, whatever the hell you want and wheel the sbit out of your Jeep!!!!

Plus you can get a little money back by selling the Dana 30 once you upgrade to a bigger front. It won't be much, but it may pay for a part you really want/need in the future or pay for labor.

I was thinking along the same lines. Prior to any of that though, is a winch, true sliders and a cage lol, not in any particular order.

jkwebbie

I was thinking along the same lines. Prior to any of that though, is a winch, true sliders and a cage lol, not in any particular order.

Warn Zeon!!!!!!!!!!!

I say Rockwells... Thats my down fall lol. Dont forget the 49s to go with it lmao.

Haha hell yea!!!! There's a guy here in NC selling 49" Iroks for like 2000. They have like 2 trail rides on them lol

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Plain and simple you are fucking nuts if you sell your rig! You have 24,000 on your rig?? Man, I wish my 2011 JK had that I am pushing 93,000 AND not one problem with it either.

Top Bottom