Need some pictures please!

JudeinPa

I am in the same dilemma. I am upgrading to new wheels and tires and would really like 35's but don't have the $$$ right now for the upgrades needed to run 35's like gearing upgrade and axle trusses.

Most likely I will just get a set of 33's (MT MTZ's) for now and save a little on gas, loss of highway speeds and wear & tear.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I am in the same dilemma. I am upgrading to new wheels and tires and would really like 35's but don't have the $$$ right now for the upgrades needed to run 35's like gearing upgrade and axle trusses.

Most likely I will just get a set of 33's (MT MTZ's) for now and save a little on gas, loss of highway speeds and wear & tear.

You don't need a truss at all.

Gears are nice to have but not a deal breaker.

Why waste your money on 33s when you really want 35s?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Lol a truss is a waste of money. All you need are some C gussets ($60) and you can run 35's

Boom. This ^^^ all of this. 35s are a great size to get the capability with minimal risk.

JudeinPa

Well MR. Ty you taked me into buying a some 35's! I don't have the time right now for "C" gussets install and hope a AEV Procal will get me by until I can get 4:88's installed. I plan on putting my order in within a week or two. Any advice on MT MTZ vs. MT ATZ? Thanx.

Last edited:

WarriorJeep

Well MR. Ty you takes me into buying a some 35's! I don't have the time right for "C" gussets install and hope a AEV Procal will get me by until I can get 4:88's installed. I plan on putting my order in within a week or two. Any advice on MT MTZ vs. MT ATZ? Thanx.

I just tossed 35x12.5/17 grabbers on my 2015 JKURHR and even though they are heavy tires I see no noticeable difference in MPG or performance with 4:10 gears ymmv but I'm loving them. C gussets went on before the 35's though.

Oh and RLTW

20151129_110429.jpg

Last edited:

JudeinPa

I just tossed 35x12.5/17 grabbers on my 2015 JKURHR and even though they are heavy tires I see no noticeable difference in MPG or performance with 4:10 gears ymmv but I'm loving them. C gussets went on before the 35's though.

Oh and RLTW

View attachment 175546

So C gussets sould be first? I need a set of new wheels so I can remove my wheel spacers as they are not actually legal here in PA. I was planning to upgrade within a few weeks and run maybe until next spring without the gussets. They may be the deal breaker going with the 35's.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
The gussets can be burned on in an hour or 2, its really not hard at all to do them to not have to worry about bending anything.

Where in pa are you located? I may be able to install them for you.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Well MR. Ty you taked me into buying a some 35's! I don't have the time right now for "C" gussets install and hope a AEV Procal will get me by until I can get 4:88's installed. I plan on putting my order in within a week or two. Any advice on MT MTZ vs. MT ATZ? Thanx.

I would do the "C" gussets before the tires. That being said, I did run 35s without them for about a month. I do not recommend wheeling if you decide to do 35s before adding the gussets.

All the AEV Procal will do it adjust your shift points and speedo. It is needed if you have an auto since the Jeep will put itself into limp mode when it senses the speedo is off.

No experience with the MTZs or ATZs.

JudeinPa

Well, I settled on a set of Pro Comp Extreme M/T2 33" with Pro Comp 17x9 7069 wheels. I figure by the time I wear them out I should have enough $$$ saved to upgrade to maybe new axles, gears and gussets.

IMG_0474.jpg

I hope to install them this weekend.

JudeinPa

Ghostwalker, I know you are settled on 35's (I do admit they would look better than 33's) but I thought I would post a pic of what you asked for at the beginning of the thread. 33's on a 2.5" lift.

IMG_0479.jpg

I tossed between 33 & 35's and felt this is better right now for my pocketbook. Down the road I may just make the jump to 37's. That is after an axle swap and re-gearing in a few years. I have 3:73's right now.

Good luck with your final choice.:beer:

Jern26

I have a 2 door and am somewhat happy with my 33's (for now) due to the proportion of the jeep... but if I had a 4 door I'd jump to 35s in an instant!! IMHO I just think the 4 doors look too stock with 33s.

wackamole

Hello from undisclosed location everyone!

I'm about to head home from deployment and starting to get my wish list ready for my JK. I'm going to be using a 2.5" RC lift and 33's. Just wondering if anyone has any pictures of this exact setup? Looking at getting T/A KO2 or Grabbers. Its my one and only vehicle and I don't have a lot of chances to get out and off the road but I would like a little more capable and aggressive looking Jeep for when I do. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :beer:

I understand it won't be seeing much off roading. First off.. what type of terrain are you expecting to see, when/if you do? If it's as minimal as you say, a good set of AT's will cover you. Second.. don't ever put fashion over function unless you have boat loads of money. I was given some great advice when I was in a similar position.. it mainly boiled down to, go out and use your Jeep.. then see what needs to be done to get it where you want to go, then get it. Keep the center of gravity as low as you can and use as many of the factory components as you can (as they are pretty battle proven themselves). Otherwise, you could be wasting money on building a prom queen. It is true that tire size really is the only way to give you ground clearance.. the suspension will only raise the body and give you some more flex depending on the kit. Myself, I went with a 33s (Toyo OC AT2's) on 17x9 wheels for my JKU and will be getting the AEV 2.5" kit when I get off this deployment. The tires have never been an issue for me, my issues were fender rubbing on rough terrain, and while trimming the fenders would alleviate this, I want a little something extra. I'll get you the link to my original thread when I find it.

DMF

Ghostwalker, I know you are settled on 35's (I do admit they would look better than 33's) but I thought I would post a pic of what you asked for at the beginning of the thread. 33's on a 2.5" lift.

View attachment 178769

I tossed between 33 & 35's and felt this is better right now for my pocketbook. Down the road I may just make the jump to 37's. That is after an axle swap and re-gearing in a few years. I have 3:73's right now.

Good luck with your final choice.:beer:

I think you made a good decision. Going to 35's will be a lot steeper on the pocket book. New gears, tuner, gusset, etc. I always read so many people have no issues running 35's with stock gears and while that's true I would hate to put my Jeep through that. A lot of trips I take are hours/day away and I'm carrying passengers with camp gears, tools and a bunch of other stuff I probably don't need, crossing over mountains and to do that on 35's with 3:21 or even 3:73 gears is no bueno.

austin160

I agree with DMF. I have a 2016 JKUS with stock 3.21 gears. I have run other vehicles on setups that needed regeared and it was horrible. I am doing a 2.5 with 33's, until my warranty is up then regear for 35's.

Top Bottom