Neverending tire debate

I-Eat-Mud

Lots of love for ATs in this thread. If you are out west, it seems that way more people can get away with ATs. They will not get you too far if you are in a wet muddy area compared to a true mud tire. As far as on road performance, I can speak for Toyo Open Country MTs as well as Cooper STT Pros. I have tried many other mud tires, but those two perform phenomenally on the road. The Toyos wear like steel too, I wouldn't be surprised to see 60k miles out of a set if you keep up with rotation.

JKGuy18

Add the Cooper ST Maxx to that short list as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have these on both my Jeep and my truck. Have only had the Jeep a short while, but these are the 3rd set of oversized tires I have put on my truck and so far like these the best. Have had the Trail Graps and Toyo AT II before the ST Maxx.

Exodus 4x4

I just started running the Maxxis Razr MT’s and they seem ok. Had to balance them, unlike any of the Nitto Trail Grappler 40’s I ran. It’s also hard to compare them the Nittos since I’m now running an E range 20”, and obviously they ride a little stiffer.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app IMG_0013.jpg

J

JKDream

I might stick with the duratracs. I love the Kevlar wall and they perform great. They also look tough which is important lol.

Duratrac tires don't have kevlar sidewalls. They actually have weaker sidewalls than most off road tires.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKEmmy

Alright so we have
Toyo open country mt and rt
Nitto ridge grap and trail grap
Mickey at2s
BFG ko2s
Duratracs
Cooper St max and stt pro
Maxxis razer
Any pictures and pros and cons on these? Votes? Good bad experience?

sm31

Last year I put Duratracs on my TJ... Really liked the ride quality, and off-road performance was definitely there for an A/T. After about 6 months, I experienced a rather disappointing puncture. While punctures can and do happen with any tire, it put me in mind of the reputation Duratracs have for not being the strongest of tires.

In my research, it seems that the Cooper ST Maxx is about the closest analog to the Duratrac, and not just because of this forum. Both tires perform well in ice & snow, they were originally designed for "fleet" vehicles, and they're both studdable. Very few A/T's come with stud holes anymore...

The only not-so-major differences (to me) are the Coops appear to have a tougher carcass, and they are a bit more aggressive... almost a hybrid AT/MT.

At the time I bought the Duratracs, Coops were slightly more expensive and that's why I selected them. I was also not into the looks of the Coopers. However, a neighbor bought some 35's for his truck and I thought they looked fantastic in-person. Now that I am shopping for tires again just a year later (for my JK), I'll be going with the Cooper ST Maxx.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Hey everyone, I'm going to be in the market for new tires soon. Pretty big fan of my duratracs. But I'm open to opinions! Looking for a cool tire of course like us all but I'd like it to perform on and off road. Gonna be doing a bunch of Moab in April. No one likes noisey either.... Post some pics! Excuse to see cool Jeep's haha.
View attachment 310854

I’ll second what Wayoflife said. Duratracs are good tires. There are better off road tires, but for the mix of on pavement performance, and off road performance they are a solid choice. They have a pretty good tread life, and are excellent on wet pavement.

Last edited:

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Alright so we have
Toyo open country mt and rt
Nitto ridge grap and trail grap
Mickey at2s
BFG ko2s
Duratracs
Cooper St max and stt pro
Maxxis razer
Any pictures and pros and cons on these? Votes? Good bad experience?

I’m running 35x12.50 Maxxis Buckshot Mudder 2.
IMG_1126.jpg
They perform excellent. But they are very soft. I’m probably gonna get 25k miles out of them if I keep running them. Think I’m gonna sell them
and get some 37s It be Coopers or Nitto

I-Eat-Mud

I’m running 35x12.50 Maxxis Buckshot Mudder 2.
View attachment 311013
They perform excellent. But they are very soft. I’m probably gonna get 25k miles out of them if I keep running them. Think I’m gonna sell them
and get some 37s It be Coopers or Nitto

Man I had the OG buckshot muddies back in the day on my bronco. They were absolute shit bias ply tires horrible in everything but mud. How times have changed.

robx251

Caught the Bug
The duratracs are good. Have you looked into the BFG AT2? I have had them in my TJ and they have preformed very well. From Snow, sand, and on the rocks. They also wear like iron on the road!

I have those BFG on my Jeep now. At 45k now and have about 4/32 on them left.

2016 JK Rubicon
315 70 17 BFG AT ko2
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

Top Bottom