NEW 2017 Jeep Compass Compact SUV - What do you Think of it?

What do you think of the all NEW 2017 Jeep Compass?

• I LOVE IT - When can I buy one!

Votes: 31 64.6%
  • I HATE IT - Burn it with fire!

Votes: 17 35.4%

• Total voters

Vulpine

Views on the new Compass

Pros:
• slightly larger cargo carrying capacity than the Renegade;
• Slightly better aerodynamics than the Renegade; leading to,
• Potential improvement in highway fuel economy.

Cons:
• Looks like a downsized Grand Cherokee;
• Overall larger and marginally heavier than the Renegade;
• Doesn't look like a "real Jeep"

This offers advantages for those looking for something bigger than the Renegade yet smaller than the Cherokee but does it by making it look like a baby GC rather than giving it an identity of its own. On the other hand, it could make an ideal platform for a 'compact' extended-cab pickup such as the Fiat Toro which shares many of its visible characteristics. If the Toro came to the US as a Jeep model, I would gladly trade in my low-mileage (less than 25K certified miles) '97 Ford Ranger.

Vulpine

It looks good. Better than some previous designs. We Wrangler guys, have to realize, that everyone doesn't want a Wrangler. The manual transmission option will interest some.

As to 30mpg out of the 2.4L? Idk. Maybe downhill, considering the mileage on my wife's Renny.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I expect the aerodynamic shape of the nose will be its fuel economy advantage over the Renegade. I just purchased a Renny of my own and noticed how it loves to hold the Tigershark down to about 1500-1700revs at 65mph but is forced to downshift on the slightest grade because the engine sounds like it is on the verge of overloaded at those revs pushing the wind. I haven't yet played with manually selecting gears on a highway run as I'm still getting used to its stock performance before trying to push the envelope.

JKJody

I like this a lot. We have a '14 GC and these look like a smaller version of them for sure. Hopefully they'll have them on display Sunday at the SF auto show.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

macaw1

It's not anything I would even consider buying so I'll pass on my opinion...
Bring on the Diesel Powered Wrangler and the new Truck..OR, the Chief ;)

tinman.kc

I like the looks, will need to wait and see if it's useful off-road.. Mileage isn't much better than our Eco-Diesel which is good for 28mpg on a regular basis.. GC image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

norrislaker

LOL! You beat me to posting about this. :crazyeyes:

Frankly, I both love and hate that is looks like a mini Grand Cherokee. I also seems like they are competing against their own Renegade, but there is probably something I'm missing there.

Agreed. Although with the Renegade looking more like a "traditional" Jeep, maybe not so much competition? I'm looking at the Renegade specifically b/c of this.

reatti

I hope Jeep sells a bunch of them, and makes a whole lot of money.

I totally agree on that. ;)

Although the real Jeep to me will always be the Wrangler, I think it is a good thing that customers who don't really want to buy a hardcore off-road vehicle in the first place have so nice alternatives like the Renegade is and the new Compass seems to be. Furthermore, as the awesome demonstration video RENEGADE on the ROCKS http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsYuUcqAAEQ proves, these things can be surprisingly capable too, should the occasion arise!:thumb:

Graywolf

I don't really like the toaster look of the new rigs. I like the look of my 04 Grand way better But then I'm old and I drink, so what the hell do I know. :D

meljr

I couldn't bring myself to vote for either choice

And no, I don't mean Donald or Hillary. I'm glad to see the Jeep brand doing so well, even if the ownership has ironically moved from one Axis country (Germany) to another (Italy). Maybe they will be bought by Toyota when FCA is done circling the drain to complete the trifecta.

As for the new models, I don't love or hate them enough to vote one way or the other in this poll. We did buy a 15 Cherokee Trailhawk for the wife and it is OK, but I don't feel like we got our money's worth. I like my JKU and Comanche much better.

-meljr

15 Cherokee Trailhawk
08 JKU
89 Comanche

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who haven't already seen it, here's a video of the Compass that Jeep released at the LA Auto show.

Andy5160

Hooked
I like the way it looks nice and sharp. Being in NYC area i definitely see the change over the past few years where people switch from big SUV's to the compact once. Also it seems this jeep will sell good in Europe. So from the marketing and the money point at may not be a bad idea fro Chrysler to make this line!

pickjones

Utterly average. A vehicle as boring as this could never be impactful enough to inspire "love" or "hate", it just "is". yawn.

Charles Bowman

Got My wife a 14 Cherokee Lattutude! She loves it, avg 26 mpg has 2.4 (9speed)!! This 17 looks a lot similar, maybe they upgraded some comfort,craftmanship!! I like to be able to downshift on hilly roads!! Good fuel economy, the 2.4 sometimes dogs out, but most of the time I keep my foot in it!! We only have 2wd, rear fender seals come out of their grooves! Ditched the air box,got the spare ,jack and lug wrench! With the extra weight She still gets 27-29mpg. I think this new copass trailhawk, would be worth a testdrive!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
Way better than the last Compass and seems like a legit option for those who just need a 4WD light option. I'd buy one if they'd give us the diesel option!

Top Bottom