New blower option coming

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Eh... unless you redline at 3k or have one very large BOV, it can't be max boost...

A BOV is for expending EXCESS boost and us typically only activated with vacuum to keep the compressor impellers from experiencing bearing shock when the boost comes "backwards" after the throttle closes. A POP OFF VALVE will open at max boost. Max boost is a function of tune, pulleys and impeller/compressor design.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Most of these twin screw blowers make max boost well below 3k, most are also quieter than centrifugals with a bit less blower whine. For blower whine, the amount of noise is highly dependent on the pulley/gear system of that blower. Some also have a cogged pulley which adds even more noise (and reliability issues). For example, most twin screws are quieter than a Paxton or Vortec, but nearly all of them are quieter than a procharger. The point is, you won't be able to necessarily "hear" the boost.

Though I agree with you that most of us are on budgets and don't run around with pit crews, Im not as convinced that we are "pushing the outer limits" of our Jeeps. There are PLENTY of mustang, camaro, corvette, WK2, charger, challenger, honda, subaru guys running around with aftermarket forced induction systems that also daily drive their vehicles. Id venture to say that the vast majority of them are on pretty tight budgets. Do SOME of them window a block sure? That is, however the exception rather than the rule. I do believe that there is the possibility of a viable forced induction system for the JK as long as the cooling system is addressed and the programming surrounding the transmission. That hardly seems insurmountable.

I'm going to steal a marketing term here, but think the issue we are seeing here is "Jeep Owner Segmentation", even in the ranks of enthusiasts. There is the group of hard-core off-roaders who care about off-roading but are not necessarily enamored with the idea of hot rodding. Big horsepower, go-fast shiny shit just isn't their thing. Then there is the group of mall crawlers who don't really care about the trail capability but will do whatever to look/sound cool. Then there is the group that wants both trail capability but has hot rodder roots. The idea of 285hp to move 7000lbs is just ridiculous. It seems that the first segment doesn't "get" segments 2 and 3 and vice versa. Just from the responses, it seems that those of us who "want both" have been modifying cars for most of our lives and may be a bit more desensitized to the fears of a "blown up engine" because we have seen that it doesn't always happen. The idea of popping a head gasket isn't the "end of the world" but its not a rod through the block and some of us might be able stomach that a bit more. I don't know that this debate will end well here because it seems that groups 1, 2, and 3 all exist and none get the other.

Fair enough. I stand corrected, thanks for the info!

Top Bottom