New blower option coming

JAGS

Hooked
AAANNNNDDDDD you make my point for me, thanks. Yes, you are not balls to the wall when wheeling unless baja or pre running. Good! Million times less likely to hurt anything. A lot less likely something is just going to go POP and end your engine all at once making it metal soup. And since you are not balls to the wall most likely you have just spun a bearing, bent a rod, crushed some ring lands, tweaked a valve, or put a hole in a piston. All simple, cheap, easy fixes under $1k after you get the parts. Easy to pick up on and notice. Easy to limp back from. Engines just don't gernade because you've done a mod. And all of the above can happen with a stock engine too.

Beer in mind too, the SOLO guys are out all day for hours at a time running heats as they carry on. Even some circle track guys. I'm sure they would get a good chuckle at the comment of building or modding an engine makes it not reliable for extended hard use. Won't even bring up IROC.

Why do we care about "track guys" getting a chuckle. This makes no fucking sense.

With the exception of Mel at ORE/EVO, none of us roll around with a fucking pit crew and a trailer full of spare parts and sponsors ready to build it back for us.

If the goal is to go as fast as possible, then you should get into racing and train long enough to get a sponsor and have the cash to withstand the time it takes to build a team. Maybe consider racing something other than a jeep.

A built up JK as a daily driver is another class of vehicle and sport. My goal is to explore off-road trails, not push the outer limits of a stock engine.

Most of us here are normal folks with modest budgets and builds. We save to put money into our rigs. The responses on this thread further illustrate this. No need to continue trying to convince the masses that modding up the stocker is the way to go. Especially when the risks far exceed any minimal reward applicable to the sport and wayalife we enjoy.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
But the problem is you can plainly hear in the video that you never even use the blower. It doesn't sound like you even get your RPMs over 3k, even when you goose it.

Most of these twin screw blowers make max boost well below 3k, most are also quieter than centrifugals with a bit less blower whine. For blower whine, the amount of noise is highly dependent on the pulley/gear system of that blower. Some also have a cogged pulley which adds even more noise (and reliability issues). For example, most twin screws are quieter than a Paxton or Vortec, but nearly all of them are quieter than a procharger. The point is, you won't be able to necessarily "hear" the boost.

Why do we care about "track guys" getting a chuckle. This makes no fucking sense.

With the exception of Mel at ORE/EVO, none of us roll around with a fucking pit crew and a trailer full of spare parts and sponsors ready to build it back for us.

If the goal is to go as fast as possible, then you should get into racing and train long enough to get a sponsor and have the cash to withstand the time it takes to build a team. Maybe consider racing something other than a jeep.

A built up JK as a daily driver is another class of vehicle and sport. My goal is to explore off-road trails, not push the outer limits of a stock engine.

Most of us here are normal folks with modest budgets and builds. We save to put money into our rigs. The responses on this thread further illustrate this. No need to continue trying to convince the masses that modding up the stocker is the way to go. Especially when the risks far exceed any minimal reward applicable to the sport and wayalife we enjoy.

Though I agree with you that most of us are on budgets and don't run around with pit crews, Im not as convinced that we are "pushing the outer limits" of our Jeeps. There are PLENTY of mustang, camaro, corvette, WK2, charger, challenger, honda, subaru guys running around with aftermarket forced induction systems that also daily drive their vehicles. Id venture to say that the vast majority of them are on pretty tight budgets. Do SOME of them window a block sure? That is, however the exception rather than the rule. I do believe that there is the possibility of a viable forced induction system for the JK as long as the cooling system is addressed and the programming surrounding the transmission. That hardly seems insurmountable.

I'm going to steal a marketing term here, but think the issue we are seeing here is "Jeep Owner Segmentation", even in the ranks of enthusiasts. There is the group of hard-core off-roaders who care about off-roading but are not necessarily enamored with the idea of hot rodding. Big horsepower, go-fast shiny shit just isn't their thing. Then there is the group of mall crawlers who don't really care about the trail capability but will do whatever to look/sound cool. Then there is the group that wants both trail capability but has hot rodder roots. The idea of 285hp to move 7000lbs is just ridiculous. It seems that the first segment doesn't "get" segments 2 and 3 and vice versa. Just from the responses, it seems that those of us who "want both" have been modifying cars for most of our lives and may be a bit more desensitized to the fears of a "blown up engine" because we have seen that it doesn't always happen. The idea of popping a head gasket isn't the "end of the world" but its not a rod through the block and some of us might be able stomach that a bit more. I don't know that this debate will end well here because it seems that groups 1, 2, and 3 all exist and none get the other.

Last edited:

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Screw you all. The only real answer is both, V8 swap with a blower!

In all seriousness, an extra 60-120hp out of the pentastar would be nice for highway/desert power. Plus less power density loss at altitude with FI. But I don't see the negatives (cost, warranty invalidation, difficulty in repairs, less reliability, decreased fuel economy, still shitty tranny programming, etc) to be worth $6-8k. In any crawling climbing situation, the 3.6 with 5.13 and a 4.1 tcase are more than enough to idle through most obstacles.

Now swapping in a 400+hp V8 with good low range torque and a bullet proof trans, that is a whole different animal in both performance and cost.

There was talk and still are rumors of a FI 3.6 pentastar with it being designed to handle this for future applications. But that does not mean the internals of the motors any of us currently have were designed for that application.

I am sure the Edelbrock/Magnuson options are far superior to the RIPP and others, and while I still have the stocker I will be jealous of anyone who does get the extra hundred or so horsepower, I think I'll be just fine rolling without for a while. The only place I have really been caught wishing for more is highway hills and a couple of sandy hill climbs.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Most of these twin screw blowers make max boost well below 3k, most are also quieter than centrifugals with a bit less blower whine. For blower whine, the amount of noise is highly dependent on the pulley/gear system of that blower. Some also have a cogged pulley which adds even more noise (and reliability issues). For example, most twin screws are quieter than a Paxton or Vortec, but nearly all of them are quieter than a procharger. The point is, you won't be able to necessarily "hear" the boost.

Maybe I'm wrong, but most of the dyno's I've seen seem to indicate otherwise. I'm no expert though, so I could be misinformed, but I got the sense they really pushed most of the power over 3k.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I'm pretty positive neither you nor I are "pushing the outer limits of our Jeeps".

Ha. True. Ive been rolling around in a loaner car so Ive been tossing miles on that. I haven't even been driving anything I own so Im probably pushing the outer limits of corrosion resistance of stagnant parts.

you probably know this but I was referring to the outer limits of the failure nodes for our Pentastar engines.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Screw you all. The only real answer is both, V8 swap with a blower!

In all seriousness, an extra 60-120hp out of the pentastar would be nice for highway/desert power. Plus less power density loss at altitude with FI. But I don't see the negatives (cost, warranty invalidation, difficulty in repairs, less reliability, decreased fuel economy, still shitty tranny programming, etc) to be worth $6-8k. In any crawling climbing situation, the 3.6 with 5.13 and a 4.1 tcase are more than enough to idle through most obstacles.

Now swapping in a 400+hp V8 with good low range torque and a bullet proof trans, that is a whole different animal in both performance and cost.

There was talk and still are rumors of a FI 3.6 pentastar with it being designed to handle this for future applications. But that does not mean the internals of the motors any of us currently have were designed for that application.

I am sure the Edelbrock/Magnuson options are far superior to the RIPP and others, and while I still have the stocker I will be jealous of anyone who does get the extra hundred or so horsepower, I think I'll be just fine rolling without for a while. The only place I have really been caught wishing for more is highway hills and a couple of sandy hill climbs.

X2. I think you hit the nail on the head. I put 400+HP in a '48CJ many moons ago. It was somewhat (maybe way) more difficult to manage the power off road. The original 4cyl. and 5.38's were well matched. On the road and pulling trailers with lotsa HP was heaven. That's really what this whole discussion is all about, power on the road. The 3.6 is not a torque monster, but it has enough. Just gear it right. My stock JK is more capable off road than the old Flattie, but do I ever miss the POWER it had. This time around I want to build the JK for the trail. If there's anything ($$'s) left over I'll look to the engine for more power on the road.:twocents:
'48 CJ-2A.jpg 350.jpg

jedg

I know that the going statement is that a twin-screw SC produces considerable torque from almost idle. I've had a few SC cars in my past (87 Mustang, 72 Corvette, 72 Cuda) that all ran twin-screw. The general rule for an SC is that if it produces 8psi at say 6000 rpm, then it's producing 2.5psi at 3000 rpm... max rpm for the 3.8 is 5600rpm? So pretty close analogy. You probably get 2.5psi when you're crawling. That's likely why there are folks that say they've pulled past an SC jeep when crawling (because the SC driver wasn't heavy footed) (<edit> not saying the non-SC driver is either, just making the point that the SC isn't adding a whole lot at that rpm).. while other SC drivers will say they don't have a problem when wheeling (probably a bit heavier on the gas).

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Though I agree with you that most of us are on budgets and don't run around with pit crews, Im not as convinced that we are "pushing the outer limits" of our Jeeps. There are PLENTY of mustang, camaro, corvette, WK2, charger, challenger, honda, subaru guys running around with aftermarket forced induction systems that also daily drive their vehicles. Id venture to say that the vast majority of them are on pretty tight budgets. Do SOME of them window a block sure? That is, however the exception rather than the rule. I do believe that there is the possibility of a viable forced induction system for the JK as long as the cooling system is addressed and the programming surrounding the transmission. That hardly seems insurmountable.

I'm going to steal a marketing term here, but think the issue we are seeing here is "Jeep Owner Segmentation", even in the ranks of enthusiasts. There is the group of hard-core off-roaders who care about off-roading but are not necessarily enamored with the idea of hot rodding. Big horsepower, go-fast shiny shit just isn't their thing. Then there is the group of mall crawlers who don't really care about the trail capability but will do whatever to look/sound cool. Then there is the group that wants both trail capability but has hot rodder roots. The idea of 285hp to move 7000lbs is just ridiculous. It seems that the first segment doesn't "get" segments 2 and 3 and vice versa. Just from the responses, it seems that those of us who "want both" have been modifying cars for most of our lives and may be a bit more desensitized to the fears of a "blown up engine" because we have seen that it doesn't always happen. The idea of popping a head gasket isn't the "end of the world" but its not a rod through the block and some of us might be able stomach that a bit more. I don't know that this debate will end well here because it seems that groups 1, 2, and 3 all exist and none get the other.

That's the thing. The forced induction guys running their cars as DD's are running them on the street. AAA is a quick call away and you are free. If I am out in the middle of Mojave or Johnson Valley (with no cell service) and I have an issue, it's a little harder to get AAA.

(See, I can be civil. ;))

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
That's the thing. The forced induction guys running their cars as DD's are running them on the street. AAA is a quick call away and you are free. If I am out in the middle of Mojave or Johnson Valley (with no cell service) and I have an issue, it's a little harder to get AAA.

(See, I can be civil. ;))

Exactly. And AAA won't touch dirt. So even if you had service, you'd need to get your rig to pavement.

Like many (and you) have been saying. It's not apples to apples. Or maybe I could see if you were going trailer your rig. But most here don't.

RubiHB

Does anyone know if I can run this supercharger AND a NOS system together?

Yes you can actually. Many high boost guys run dual like that since the super charger or LARGE turbo setup is so big that it has not much "umph" down low, so they start with spray to 1: Get the torque they need down low before boost comes on real late with big SC or TC due to impeller design. 2: It also drops air intake temperatures down a lot to help prevent pre-ignition. 3: The cooler charged air with the NOS is also more denser which means more oxygen per cubic inch, which means more fuel to keep the A/F proper which equals more power. 4: The hotter and faster expanding exhaust gasses spool turbos up much quicker. 5: Having a setup like this with NOS and a TC means you can run better grind cam with a little bit more overlap then usual for a TC car to help let more extra hot and faster expanding exhaust gasses slip out sooner to spool large heavy turbos up faster and sooner.

Very common practice for big boys on the track.

jeeeep

Hooked
wow this went all over the place! but one thing I see we all have in common which I think has been going on since the first car was ever modified....the passion we all have for our rigs.

I'm still with the 3.8 and while it does ok on the trail it sucks as a DD and getting over mountain passes or even through a head wind. It's re-geared but the heavier it gets the more it's begging for more power. I still have an LS swap in the plans but if a decent diesel comes out I'd be all over it.

I've had 4cyl to V8's over the years with some modified that made me wish I was wearing my brown pants but I think I can safely say we're all on the same quest to get the most out of our rigs that works for us.

The great thing about modifying, if you give it some thought there really is no right or wrong. If we all did the "right" thing all the time, how would all the great stuff that's come out of doing the wrong thing ever happen.

I say if you can do it, do it! I can't count the number of times I've modified and said "well that didn't work out like I thought :thinking:"

I've also seen a lot of mods I wish I could do and others I wish I hadn't looked at...but hey, it's your rig do with it what makes you happy and rock on! :rock:

2013CGJKU

Eh... unless you redline at 3k or have one very large BOV, it can't be max boost...

It's called a wastegate and max boost would be regulated by your tune not the max capability of the blower. The blower might make 16 psi at redline but if I set max boost to 6 psi I could very well reach that by 3k and then the wastegate would dump the rest of the boost throughout the rest of the powerband.

You are 100% wrong buddy. And what exactly does the size of a BOV have to do with anything?

Top Bottom