New blower option coming

2013CGJKU

I'm sorry.... You said "earned" You must not have read the thread where smokinv10 writes off all of his jeep mods on his taxes...

I did miss that but I didn't miss the one of the $100k liquid guy (different dude) admitting to that ... I could be wrong but I think you are mistaken or joking (I wish there was a way to modify typeface to indicate sarcasm).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How is it wheeling? Every one I've seen on the trail struggles crawling. I'd love one just to have it on the highway. However I would not put one on after seeing how it performs on the trail. Not to mention I do not believe the motor can handle it.

Agreed. It's almost painful to watch when they're on really big rocks or steep ledges where a little bump is needed.

I have no issues with it wheeling because the power feels/acts linear. I feel the power almost right away unlike the centrifugal that doesn't kick in until almost 3K rpm.

Not to be facetious but, where in the San Antonio area have you wheeled your Jeep? It might help to qualify your response.

David1tontj

That wasn't me buddy. I participated in that thread, but I wasn't the OP. If I recall correctly, he was some dude who talked leasing his jeep/mods and writing them off. My mods are paid for. Get your facts straight :doh:

I am truly sorry.. I thought that was you.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Agreed. It's almost painful to watch when they're on really big rocks or steep ledges where a little bump is needed.

Not to be facetious but, where in the San Antonio area have you wheeled your Jeep? It might help to qualify your response.

Kanye creek and the green jk? Scary as fuck. But I do remember my weak 3.8 crawling right past the same point.

Or the climb out of Death Valley when he had to bypass the super charger because of shifting and over heating issues?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Kanye creek and the green jk? Scary as fuck. But I do remember my weak 3.8 crawling right past the same point.

Or the climb out of Death Valley when he had to bypass the super charger because of shifting and over heating issues?

Exactly. In typical fashion, all that was needed was a simple bump but he just didn't have enough to roll through it like everyone else and giving it just that bit more to get the super charger going made for a very scary experience. As far as Death Valley goes, was that the trip or was it coming out of the Imperial Valley out by Jacumba? Either way, that wasn't the only time we've seen a supercharger guy in our group having to pull over due to over heating on a long climb at highway speeds.

bo9roadking

Interested in your feedback as well. I have exactly the same thoughts about the engine swap. Ive called a couple of shops and they always tell me about the positives of their conversions vs others, but when you compare notes, it seems that all of them have problems. In my mind, the current downsides are that we are stuck to deal wit servicing/troubleshooting GM/delco electronics talking to Chrylser can-bus with the LS or dealing with overheating and sub-optimal transmission options with the Hemi.

So then I come back to the blower options. I am concerned about overheating on the road with the increased heat output of the blower. I also have talked to Magnuson and they admit that they don't have a solution for the transmission issues. Ive read that for some the shifting issues are rather severe. It seems that your are more of a nuisance. Im interested in how it performs off road and up long grades. Has the cooling system had trouble keeping up in the heat?
I've considered the engine swap, but my engine has 38k miles on it. I might as well get some use out of it before it gets replaced.

My thoughts on the V8 are not so much the cost, but service/maintenance. I'd prefer the LS, but I can't drive from Texas to Vegas every time I need assistance from MoTech. I don't think a Chrysler dealer or a GM dealer would service it if I had problems, and my local mechanic has already told me that he would not be interested in working on a hybrid vehicle. The hemi is too big/heavy, overheats, and is not in a JK right now because it won't pass Federal crash safety tests. I'm really hoping Chrysler adds the 3.0 diesel in the future JK/JL. If/When that happens, it becomes a realistic option for my JKU and I would have a realistic expectation to have more service/maintenance options.

Regarding my SC, I've been running it since the beginning of September. Magnuson has been very helpful, but they have told me that they and Diablo are still working on the auto shift issues. In September the Texas heat isn't in its prime, but I haven't experienced any overheating issues. I've been rock crawling with it twice and had no problems and running around in the hill country has been fine. I haven't trailered anything with it yet or been climbing steep grades like I did when I lived in Colorado, but so far so good. The under hood heat is already high with the 3.6, so I have been running a TMD hood to help with eliminating the heat, but I don't know how much it has helped.

One thing that I'm going to try and rectify is the location of the air-to-water intercooler pump. I have it mounted below the radiator and intercooler as the instructions mandate, but I don't like the location. It is slightly below the bottom of my EVO quarter pounder bumper, so in an extreme situation, I might hit the pump while climbing up something. For reference, it doesn't hang down any lower than my Rubi e-locker disconnect motor, but I'd like to install it somewhere higher if possible.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I like most of the shit you talk most of the time Overlander but dropping hints about how the guy spends the money he has EARNED on multiple occasions and pissing and moaning about the way he uses his rig makes you seem like one of those "occupy" dipshits that constantly posts on social media (from every one of their multiple Apple devices while wearing designer clothes that are made is sweatshops in India) about how evil people with money are and that opinions and thought processes are all welcome as long as they are yours... aka a young liberal idiot.

Whether that description is true or not, that IS how you are coming off.

P.S. a beard in California is more of a sign of a smelly hipster than anything else... haha!

Lol that couldn't be farther from the truth and if you make it out here and meet me then you will see that.

If you go back and read posts from day one everything talks about money this, money that, custom houses, vipers, lambos, sports cars, blah, blah, blah. But then when someone else brings up the money thing it's them being a liberal and jealous? Right....

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Lol that couldn't be farther from the truth and if you make it out here and meet me then you will see that.

If you go back and read posts from day one everything talks about money this, money that, custom houses, vipers, lambos, sports cars, blah, blah, blah. But then when someone else brings up the money thing it's them being a liberal and jealous? Right....

I don't talk about money except complaining once or twice about when y'all told me how much shit costs,... you connected your own dots. I can't help you with the anti capitalist demons in your head. In my mind: "Chip. On. Shoulder". I provided information that I was busy moving and having a house built when you and your merry crew were bitching about me not wheeling the rig. Posted about my viper a few times but if you really research that concept, you'll find that you can pick up a Gen 2 for around $40K...less than a new JK Rubi. Its not much different than guys who also have vettes and camaros here. Sorry if that offends you, maybe I shouldn't have purchased it because I might be politically incorrect and hurt people's feelings about social inequality. Im not sure where you got information about Lambo's but maybe you'll think I have a Veyron soon too! Perception is a bitch huh? How about you drop the comments and we don't have to go tit for tat until this thread is about Smokin vs Overlander.

Same way you started your response. Your perception couldn't be farther from the truth either.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't talk about money except complaining once or twice about how much stuff costs, you connect your own dots. I can't help you with the anti capitalist demons in your head. In my mind: "Chip. On. Shoulder". I provided information that I was busy moving and having a house built when you and your merry crew were bitching about me not wheeling the rig. Posted about my viper a few times but if you really research that concept, you'll find that you can pick up a Gen 2 for around $40K...less than a new JK Rubi. Its not much different than guys who also have vettes and camaros here. Sorry if that offends you, maybe I shouldn't have purchased it because I might be politically incorrect and hurt people's feelings about social inequality. Im not sure where you got information about Lambo's but maybe you'll think I have a Veyron soon too! Perception is a bitch huh? How about you drop the comments and we don't have to go tit for tat until this thread is about Smokin vs Overlander.

No chip on shoulder or social inequality. I'm happy with me and you are you.

I'll end this with I said back on page one that you should wheel your rig before you decide you need more power. That was not a jab or low blow I was simply stating you should wheel it before you can figure out what's wrong with it. You built it to perform offroad right? (I would hope otherwise it's a little overkill for the mall. Lol) So take it offroad, take it up some mountains in Colorado, take it on long stints across some whoops then come back and say it doesn't have power or needs some more or has enough. That's all I was saying.

bo9roadking

I don't know why you think I'm not being truthful about wheeling. I'm not talking about a dirt road. I don't have access to the trails that you have out west, but Texas does have its own rock crawling locations. The problem in Texas is almost the entire state is privately owned, so you can't go to the Sierra Nevadas or the Rocky Mountains and access public lands.

The primary locations in my area are privately owned off-roading parks. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Canyons-Off-Road-Park/123496661869?sk=photos_stream, https://www.facebook.com/katemcyrocks/photos_stream?tab=photos, and https://www.facebook.com/HiddenFallsAdventurePark/photos_stream?tab=photos are the primary locations that I go. There are a few other places too, but I need to drive about 2 hours away from San Antonio.

Here is a video of me "wheeling" at Canyons Off-Road Park: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1447734112129137&set=vb.100006776863331&type=3&theater

Since there was some doubt about "wheeling", I don't want you to be facetious about my SC, so here are a couple of pics.
Magnuson SC1.jpg
Magnuson SC2.jpg

Panda

I think it's silly to spend a bunch of cash to soup up a 3.6, when your motor blows up from it that blower was a huge waste of money you could have put towards a v8, then it's just a expensive paper weight and you will be spending a bunch more cash for a new motor, same thing as putting a bunch of cash into a D30 right? Just sayin

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know why you think I'm not being truthful about wheeling. I'm not talking about a dirt road.

Ummm, hello... I never said I thought you weren't being truthful about you wheeling your Jeep. Hence, why I specifically made a point to say that I wasn't trying to be facetious. I also specifically added that you telling us where you wheel "might help to qualify your response" :naw:

I don't have access to the trails that you have out west, but Texas does have its own rock crawling locations. The problem in Texas is almost the entire state is privately owned, so you can't go to the Sierra Nevadas or the Rocky Mountains and access public lands.

And that's why I asked. I know plenty of guys who live in Texas and if you ask them the same question, they would tell you all the places OUTSIDE of Texas that they've wheeled their Jeep. In other words, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that MAYBE, just maybe you've tested out your super charger in a place that would really put it to the test.

Nice video and I see that you made it up on your 2nd try. Not exactly sure how your supercharger helped you there but, if you're convinced it did, more power to you. :yup:

Since there was some doubt about "wheeling", I don't want you to be facetious about my SC, so here are a couple of pics.

Do you even understand what the definition of "facetious" is? :idontknow:

bo9roadking

I think it's silly to spend a bunch of cash to soup up a 3.6, when your motor blows up from it that blower was a huge waste of money you could have put towards a v8, then it's just a expensive paper weight and you will be spending a bunch more cash for a new motor, same thing as putting a bunch of cash into a D30 right? Just sayin

That is one way of thinking of it, but not how I thought of it. I agree that sinking money into beefing up a D30 is a waste, that is why I have a PR80 and PR60. My wife has a PR60 and PR44.

On the SC part, everyone always says when you blow your motor, but that is usually from people that over boost trying to get additional power and push the engine to its limits. Six psi boost is not going to blow my engine. There is about a three psi difference driving from the mountains where I lived in Colorado to sea level. In addition to aftermarket, numerous manufacturers are doing forced induction and not blowing motors.

When the time comes to replace my 3.6, I can either install the SC on my wife's 3.6 or I can sell it. If I sell it, I'll recoup some of my initial purchase price. I consider the SC an interim solution where I can still get some use out of my 3.6 while I wait for the engine swaps to get more refined or Chrysler introduces a better engine for the Jeep that could cause all of the engine swaps to come down in price and provide another engine swap option. If I swap my 3.6 now, I have an expensive paper weight that is perfectly good, but there is no market for it.

Everyone is entitled to spend their own money on their own jeep and you are entitled to your opinion. For now the SC works for me.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That is one way of thinking of it, but not how I thought of it. I agree that sinking money into beefing up a D30 is a waste, that is why I have a PR80 and PR60. My wife has a PR60 and PR44.

On the SC part, everyone always says when you blow your motor, but that is usually from people that over boost trying to get additional power and push the engine to its limits. Six psi boost is not going to blow my engine. There is about a three psi difference driving from the mountains where I lived in Colorado to sea level. In addition to aftermarket, numerous manufacturers are doing forced induction and not blowing motors.

When the time comes to replace my 3.6, I can either install it on my wife's 3.6 or I can sell it. If I sell it, I'll recoup some of my initial purchase price. I consider the SC an interim solution where I can still get some use out of my 3.6 while I wait for the engine swaps to get more refined or Chrysler introduces a better engine for the Jeep that could cause all of the engine swaps to come down in price and provide another engine swap option. If I swap my 3.6 now, I have an expensive paper weight that is perfectly good, but there is no market for it.

Everyone is entitled to spend their own money on their own jeep and you are entitled to your opinion. For now the SC works for me.

I have three good friends that have had issues with their 3.6. Two of which had the motors replaced, the other is just burning oil still now. While it may be a good motor I don't think it's built to withstand the abuse.

My friends were running their jeeps in the desert at high rpm's for a while, which is where the power band is on the 3.6. The supercharger is going to improve the performance on the higher end, which is good, but if the internals can't handle it then you are shit out of luck. And when rock crawling you rarely use that top end of the motor (maybe in some places in moab) where all the power is.

bo9roadking

Ummm, hello... I never said I thought you weren't being truthful about you wheeling your Jeep. Hence, why I specifically made a point to say that I wasn't trying to be facetious. I also specifically added that you telling us where you wheel "might help to qualify your response" :naw:

And that's why I asked. I know plenty of guys who live in Texas and if you ask them the same question, they would tell you all the places OUTSIDE of Texas that they've wheeled their Jeep. In other words, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that MAYBE, just maybe you've tested out your super charger in a place that would really put it to the test.

Nice video and I see that you made it up on your 2nd try. Not exactly sure how your supercharger helped you there but, if you're convinced it did, more power to you. :yup:

Do you even understand what the definition of "facetious" is? :idontknow:

Sorry if I took your meaning in a derogatory manner. I do know what facetious means: "joking or jesting often inappropriately" is how merriam-webster defines it and I wasn't sure if you were joking or jesting.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry if I took your meaning in a derogatory manner. I do know what facetious means: "joking or jesting often inappropriately" is how merriam-webster defines it and I wasn't sure if you were joking or jesting.

And, this is specifically why I said "NOT to be facetious" as in, I wasn't trying to be funny but rather, I was asking a serious question.

bo9roadking

I have three good friends that have had issues with their 3.6. Two of which had the motors replaced, the other is just burning oil still now. While it may be a good motor I don't think it's built to withstand the abuse.

My friends were running their jeeps in the desert at high rpm's for a while, which is where the power band is on the 3.6. The supercharger is going to improve the performance on the higher end, which is good, but if the internals can't handle it then you are shit out of luck. And when rock crawling you rarely use that top end of the motor (maybe in some places in moab) where all the power is.

I understand the hesitation with the 3.6 and I appreciate your insight. I've had my driver's side head replaced under warranty. I've put 38k miles on it thus far with no other issues. My wife has a 3.6 and has had no issues. I have a handful of friends with the 3.6 with no issues. If the SC causes my 3.6 to die, then an engine swap will be in the near future instead of when the 3.6 is at the end of its useful life. I agree that crawling doesn't get much benefit from the SC, but when you have a high crawl ratio, you are using the mid rpm range and a roots style blower is producing power from about 2k+. I also didn't get the SC for crawling. It can help, but it is mainly for my daily driving. Any crawling benefit is secondary.

Panda

When the time comes to replace my 3.6, I can either install the SC on my wife's 3.6 or I can sell it. If I sell it, I'll recoup some of my initial purchase price. I consider the SC an interim solution where I can still get some use out of my 3.6 while I wait for the engine swaps to get more refined or Chrysler introduces a better engine for the Jeep that could cause all of the engine swaps to come down in price and provide another engine swap option. If I swap my 3.6 now, I have an expensive paper weight that is perfectly good, but there is no market for it.

Isn't a SC adding additional power and pushing your engine to its limits? I bet Chrysler would say yes when they void your warranty, but hey each to his own

Top Bottom