New guy from Pittsburgh

Ddays

Hooked
My hernia from lifting it up there says about 150-160 lbs. when I close the gate it lifts up about 1/8” to set directly on the receiver. I did this like 2 weeks ago and ran it like that at southington No issues, still nice and tight. Gonna try it out for a bit and if it doesn’t work than will have to go with the hd carrier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure its snugged nice and tight on the mount, its the hidden stress put on all of the components that's an accident waiting to happen. One big pothole and that thing could give out. I'd at least run a safety cable or strap as a failsafe. You do not want a 160# tire bouncing along 22...

Turbo21

Jesus Christ.

Runs 42s on stock axles

Puts 42s on a stock tire carrier.

How many shortcuts are you gonna take on this thing?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

As many as possible. Who ever said the only way to build a Jeep is by spending 100k. This is the only hobby I have ever been a part of where people don’t try and take shortcuts. So what if my axle breaks when off-roading. Then I buy another one
Not gonna get into this discussion again but we obviously have different opinions

The housing is stock but gusseted with 4340 shafts

I would never put even my 37 on the stock carrier with out additional support. The tire is sitting on the steel receiver and locked in tight. You could slam it with a 20lb sledge all day long and it wouldn’t budge an inch

Would a quick video showing how it actually sits help out?

Ddays

Hooked
People don't take shortcuts for a reason. In this case someone could literally get killed. I'm not trying to be dramatic - I'm trying to give you solid advice. This isn't a good idea.

Turbo21

People don't take shortcuts for a reason. In this case someone could literally get killed. I'm not trying to be dramatic - I'm trying to give you solid advice. This isn't a good idea.

I just left to go work the midnight shift. I will take a quick video in the morning. Believe me if I thought there was any chance of it breaking loose it wouldn’t be on there

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
How do you put so many hideous aftermarket accessories on the Jeep and not spend money where it counts on the tire carrier? You breaking down on the trail is you .. and annoying for everyone you wheel with .. but the tire breaking off is dangerous for everyone on the road .

Turbo21

Not so annoying when I haven’t broke down. Actually spent the last time out wheeling running hard for 8 hrs and spent 2 hrs of that pulling guys out of trouble with 2” lifts running 35s and not knowing how to drive Running shit they had no business attempting But hey wasn’t me breaking down holding up all the trails

But at every stop had 20 guys running over telling me how much they liked my hideous ass accessories. And walked right by my buddies Jeep running king coil overs and about 50k worth of work.

You don’t like it then too damn bad You don’t see me telling you that your Jeep is stupid as hell for trying to be a clone of eddies jeep. He built a bad ass rig and everyone wants to copy it
I Sit at bantam every year and watch 5000 Jeep’s that look exactly the same rolling down the trail. Not my cup of tea.
It’s not coming off it’s not breaking off I would stake my life on it

Seahawkfan

Hooked
As many as possible. Who ever said the only way to build a Jeep is by spending 100k. This is the only hobby I have ever been a part of where people don’t try and take shortcuts. So what if my axle breaks when off-roading. Then I buy another one
Not gonna get into this discussion again but we obviously have different opinions

The housing is stock but gusseted with 4340 shafts

I would never put even my 37 on the stock carrier with out additional support. The tire is sitting on the steel receiver and locked in tight. You could slam it with a 20lb sledge all day long and it wouldn’t budge an inch

Would a quick video showing how it actually sits help out?

I like Shortcuts if it gets me off a paved road!!!.:thumb:

Turbo21

I'm sure its snugged nice and tight on the mount, its the hidden stress put on all of the components that's an accident waiting to happen. One big pothole and that thing could give out. I'd at least run a safety cable or strap as a failsafe. You do not want a 160# tire bouncing along 22...

I have actually seen a 17” tire going down the parkway before. Wasn’t pretty. Definitely could be some hidden stress.
I hit a lot bigger things than a pothole last trip out and checked the hinges before the 2 1/2 hr trip home and showed no bending or movement. Safety strap isn’t a bad idea though. Can’t hurt

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
My hernia from lifting it up there says about 150-160 lbs. when I close the gate it lifts up about 1/8” to set directly on the receiver. I did this like 2 weeks ago and ran it like that at southington No issues, still nice and tight. Gonna try it out for a bit and if it doesn’t work than will have to go with the hd carrier

Most of the companies that make tailgate/spare cargo carriers rate them for 75# so realistically, you’re no heavier than that with less leverage.

Turbo21

Got out to Isabella dumps for some mud bogging. Made a wrong turn and ended up in the swamp. 3 times buried and finally got out 5 hours later

IMG_0872.jpg
IMG_0874.jpg
IMG_0881.jpg
IMG_0883.jpg
IMG_0885.jpg
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0892.jpg
IMG_0892.jpg
IMG_0897.jpg
IMG_0900.jpg

Top Bottom