New Jeep for a New Adventure

Why1504

Caught the Bug
My girlfriend and I have a wedding 3 hours west of Colorado Springs to attend in September. I have always wanted to go out west and experience some real off road trail driving and this could be the perfect opportunity. I haven’t approached her about this yet. Before I talk to her, I need to make sure this is something I can pull off both safely and with the appropriate skill to make it fun for both of us.

First, i will need to buy a Wrangler for this adventure. I expect it will need some mods. My initial thought was to just get a new Rubicon, add a winch and bumper and roll but I have zero experience with Colorado, so I really don’t know what I need or what mods. I would be buying a new Jeep as my baseline. The budget, including mods would be $90,000 (i would like to come in below $75K if possible) the only real must have is a hardtop. What should I buy? What mods should I make for the trip? I have been out of the Jeep game since about 2012 and have lots of questions here. I also have concerns about deliveries of the vehicle (assuming I order one), what mods to add, either doing the mods myself, or having a shop preform the mods. Getting all the bugs shook out, etc.

At a minimum i want to drive above the tree line. I fly fish and plan to bring a rod and some flies.

Second, where should I go In Colorado? I am not really interested in hardcore trails But I do need to Jeep to be capable for the terrain.

Last, this will be a second car. My daily is a F-150. I have owned several Jeeps. 2 grand Cherokees and 2 Cherokees (XJ) (all were 2WD with no real off-road miles), 2 Wranglers, a 2002 TJ Sport and a 2008 4door Rubicon both were taken off road. While I do have plenty of experience with high performance driving, motorcycles, etc. I am not a super proficient off road driver. I am an outdoorsman, I kayak, hike, etc. when I was younger I made multiple backpacking trips. However, I am out of practice driving off road. Once I get the Jeep ready to go I will be hitting the trails here in AL and TN to get myself and the vehicle ready for the trip.

I look forward to some advice on what path I should take here. What to buy, what trails to run. Thanks in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you'll be about an hour or so from Ouray. Lots of what you're looking for around there and pretty much all of it can be done in a stock Rubicon. And, based on what you're wanting to do, I would think that is all you need.

Why1504

Caught the Bug
thank you.
Any specific options? Sliders, steel bumpers, etc? Factory or aftermarket?

what size winch? Should I get the 35 inch tire package?

Andy5160

Hooked
Not a bad option right here in my opinion and for way less you want to spend

WJCO

Meme King
thank you.
Any specific options? Sliders, steel bumpers, etc? Factory or aftermarket?

what size winch? Should I get the 35 inch tire package?
All. 35s would be plenty. 10k winch is fine. If you're able, wheeler lake is a pretty trail with a couple of fun obstacles that aren't too challenging. As far as fishing, everywhere. Plenty of fishing options.

JT@623

Hooked
Buy it before the wedding plenty of time to here the bitching afterwards when you spend more time and money on the Jeep 👍

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All. 35s would be plenty. 10k winch is fine. If you're able, wheeler lake is a pretty trail with a couple of fun obstacles that aren't too challenging. As far as fishing, everywhere. Plenty of fishing options.
This ^^^ and I might add, you can get all of it with the Extreme Recon package.

Why1504

Caught the Bug
Talked to my GF last night. She grew up in Colorado Springs and was excited to get to re-visit some of the off road places where she hung out as a teenager. We still have more To talk about but it looks like it will happen.

Why1504

Caught the Bug
Today I found a used 2022 JL Rubicon with 15k miles. It has 35” tires on factory wheels. I drove it. It has all the options I would want plus add a trunk, aftermarket slider/steps, and a roof rack. It is a hardtop. The only issue I noticed was that the tires needed balancing. Attached is the window sticker. He is asking $50k. This Jeep is optioned about like I would order one Opinion?? F4F45488-54B1-43EB-A423-2D3169E32933.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you can wait on an ordered one, that's what I personally would do. If not, this one seems like it has what you want.

Why1504

Caught the Bug
The deal I found on the Rubicon didn’t work out. However I have found a new blue 392 that includes the front facing camera. I hope to pull the trigger on this vehicle this week. It isn’t at my local dealer but about 200 miles away. Unfortunately, it does not have the recon package or the gorilla glass windshield both of which I want. If I buy this one it will need floor mats, on board air, tire deflator, a light bar, and a winch to begin.

here are some questions:

Should I consider adding an extended warranty?
Warn Zeon 10-S winch (good choice assuming I can find one?mmIf not, what would be a good backup choice?)
what mounting plate? Plan to use the stock steel bumper
do I need to add spacers to the front suspension for the weight of the winch?
tree strap
D-Ring
floor mats (what brand is best?)
ABR Dual piston air compressor (no idea on mounting, or what accessories to purchase)
I will also need some kind of tie off point for the rear of the Jeep again no idea on what to do here.
KC HiLites Pro6 light bar kit (good choice?)

once the BFG tires wear out I plan to change these to Nitto tires. I also plan to get the sides wrapped in paint protection film.

what else should I add?

Should I join Tread lightly? What benefits does this offer? Can I get discounts on any of these add-ones?

Thanks for all the help here.

CalSgt

Hooked
here are some questions:

Your call, I sprung for the lifetime warranty ($3000) when it was still available in 2018 and have only ever used it for the rear defrost that I could have fixed myself. My Jeep ended up so modified I’m not sure what is even covered anymore
Warn Zeon 10-S winch (good choice assuming I can find one?mmIf not, what would be a good backup choice?)
what mounting plate?
Any warn should suffice, the old school ones are pretty pricey along with the zeon’s, their lower line “evo” IIRC is Chinese made but should have better quality than some of the other China winches like smitybilt and whatever Harbor Freight sells. A Winch is safety equipment and an investment into your well-being don’t get cheap.

warn and Mopar were the go to mounts when I did mine but I think they’re all the same. I am a fan of spending the extra money on synthetic winch line too, it’s a bit safer and easier to use than cable. Do take the time to tension the line or cable onto the drum before you need to actually use it.

Plan to use the stock steel bumper
I loved my stock steel bumper and only changed it for a little extra clearance in the front. Kinda miss it actually…

I didn’t notice enough difference from the winch to need more lift on the front of my JLUR
tree strap
YES! A good recovery and/or toe strap are good to have also. ARB makes some nice kits that come with all three and a bowshackle (D ring) in a nice bag for a few hundred dollars
https://www.amazon.com/ARB-Accessories-RK11-Essentials-Recovery/dp/B00R74ZC82/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?crid=1V3OMMIUYHHO4&keywords=arb+recovery+kit&qid=1677904015&sprefix=arb+recover,aps,217&sr=8-9
Yup
I’m impressed with the mopar molded rubber mats that came in mine, they fit perfect and are every bit as good as weathertech which would be my only other recommendation. I’d bet someone on Craigslist is selling a set of factory rubber mats right now, that’s where I would look, or Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/2018-Wrangler-4-Door-Weather-Floor/dp/B0781SS37P/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=29GFTFRJ5PH4M&keywords=jeep+jlu+mopar+mat&qid=1677903757&sprefix=jeep+jlur+mopar+mat,aps,208&sr=8-5
ABR Dual piston air compressor (no idea on mounting, or what accessories to purchase)
https://www.wayalife.com/threads/wr...nder-the-hood-arb-air-compressor-mount.56849/
Not sure if the ARB single will mount in the V8 model with @wayalife mount but the single is plenty enough for 35’s or 37’s.

If you don’t want to hard mount a compressor my recommendation is the Viar 450P portable kit. If you ever get rid of the Jeep you would still have a good portable compressor, plus you can take it in other cars on trips.
https://www.amazon.com/45043-Automatic-Function-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000X9EGFS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=2PUGGZGGS1AE0&keywords=viair+450p&qid=1677903655&sprefix=viar+450p,aps,225&sr=8-2
I will also need some kind of tie off point for the rear of the Jeep again no idea on what to do here.
Rubicon comes with a recovery hook on the back that works fine, if you want more a receiver hitch mounted one with a “D” ring is a cheap (but good) option.
Good stuff and cool but not needed

what else should I add?
A decent travel tool kit will be more useful than a lightbar
Should I join Tread lightly? What benefits does this offer? Can I get discounts on any of these add-ones?
Not sure
Welcome

Last edited:
The deal I found on the Rubicon didn’t work out. However I have found a new blue 392 that includes the front facing camera. I hope to pull the trigger on this vehicle this week. It isn’t at my local dealer but about 200 miles away. Unfortunately, it does not have the recon package or the gorilla glass windshield both of which I want. If I buy this one it will need floor mats, on board air, tire deflator, a light bar, and a winch to begin.

here are some questions:

what mounting plate? Plan to use the stock steel bumper
tree strap
D-Ring

once the BFG tires wear out I plan to change these to Nitto tires. I also plan to get the sides wrapped in paint protection film.

what else should I add?

The Mopar extended warranty wants you to return to the dealership where you bought the vehicle for warranty repair. Take care!

Top Bottom