NEW Jeep Grand Wagoneer on Hold - Does Anyone Even Care?

The current Ram trucks, even though they are at the end of their lifespan, are so good, I wish FCA would just build a full size SUV version. The GM full size suv's are some of their most profitable products. Whether FCA brought a version to market as a Ram or a Jeep there would definitely be potential.

Maybe I am answering my own question and the reason for the hold is to produce it off of the new Ram platform due in '18.

even if i had that kind of money, i could think of a whole bunch of better things to spend that money on then buying what looks like a durango and a ford flex had a lovechild.(if thats what it could possibly look like)

I think there are people who would pay for it, Land Rover has been doing well at selling limos on a 4x4 chassis after all. The problem is would it be good enough to pull those customers away from Land Rover since the current breed of jeep people would likely never buy into it? Probably not. I myself think with such strict, and ever increasing EPA laws this is the wrong time and not very logical. FCA said a while back the wrangler sold so many units it screwed the overall score with the EPA and CAFE which is why they wanted to make the Renegade to try to help offset those numbers while still keeping the wrangler a wrangler. So why would you then make an even bigger jeep? It made no sense to me when they first started talking about doing it. I think Sergio is trying to over expand his empire, and needs to just focus on what he has.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I thought those bad boys had W12's, not V12's? It'd be cool 'til a timing chain shit the bed! :icon_crazy:

You're right it was a W. Most sellers were advertising how long ago they did the chain, if it was done. It seemed like a pretty stable platform though.

Sent from my duck blind.

I think there are people who would pay for it, Land Rover has been doing well at selling limos on a 4x4 chassis after all. The problem is would it be good enough to pull those customers away from Land Rover since the current breed of jeep people would likely never buy into it? Probably not. I myself think with such strict, and ever increasing EPA laws this is the wrong time and not very logical. FCA said a while back the wrangler sold so many units it screwed the overall score with the EPA and CAFE which is why they wanted to make the Renegade to try to help offset those numbers while still keeping the wrangler a wrangler. So why would you then make an even bigger jeep? It made no sense to me when they first started talking about doing it. I think Sergio is trying to over expand his empire, and needs to just focus on what he has.

Because China. They'll buy anything.

Sent from my duck blind.

Working for FCA I can say, this vehicle would be very important and here's why:

I have customers about three or four times a month who come in wanting a top of the line luxury SUV. I show them a Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, or a Durango Citadel. You know what they all say?

"Well where's all the wood grain?"
"Well wheres the air conditioned second row?"
"Well wheres the massaging seats?"
"Well wheres the panoramic roof?"
"Well wheres the cargo room with the third row up?"
"The Suburban/Escalade/Range Rover has...."

Every case, when I follow up with them, it's the same story. "Well Ryan I thank you for your time, but we bought a Suburban LTZ/Escalade ESV/ Range Rover because it had the size and features we wanted."

Keep in mind, the Suburban STARTS at about 50k, the Escalade at about 73k, and the Range Rover a whopping 85k. But these are families that have two HUGE forms of monthly income and kids, who are willing to drop the coin for a huge status symbol SUV like that. To stay competitive in the market, we need a big expensive SUV. Could it go over 100k in price? I'm sure it could, but the starting price probably wouldn't be anywhere near that. Sure we have the Durango, but its basically the FCA version of the Tahoe space wise.

Now take the time to look back, and think about how often you see Suburbans, Escalades, Range Rovers, Expeditions, etc on the road. People want them and people are willing to buy them. Sure for the common enthusiast it might seem illogical and stupid, but you have to remember, it isn't going to be marketed to people like that. It's going to be marketed to the premium buyer, people with about 200K+ annual combined income.

:twocents:

Working for FCA I can say, this vehicle would be very important and here's why:

I have customers about three or four times a month who come in wanting a top of the line luxury SUV. I show them a Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, or a Durango Citadel. You know what they all say?

"Well where's all the wood grain?"
"Well wheres the air conditioned second row?"
"Well wheres the massaging seats?"
"Well wheres the panoramic roof?"
"Well wheres the cargo room with the third row up?"
"The Suburban/Escalade/Range Rover has...."

Every case, when I follow up with them, it's the same story. "Well Ryan I thank you for your time, but we bought a Suburban LTZ/Escalade ESV/ Range Rover because it had the size and features we wanted."

Keep in mind, the Suburban STARTS at about 50k, the Escalade at about 73k, and the Range Rover a whopping 85k. But these are families that have two HUGE forms of monthly income and kids, who are willing to drop the coin for a huge status symbol SUV like that. To stay competitive in the market, we need a big expensive SUV. Could it go over 100k in price? I'm sure it could, but the starting price probably wouldn't be anywhere near that. Sure we have the Durango, but its basically the FCA version of the Tahoe space wise.

Now take the time to look back, and think about how often you see Suburbans, Escalades, Range Rovers, Expeditions, etc on the road. People want them and people are willing to buy them. Sure for the common enthusiast it might seem illogical and stupid, but you have to remember, it isn't going to be marketed to people like that. It's going to be marketed to the premium buyer, people with about 200K+ annual combined income.

:twocents:

I agree with what you are saying, but if the price starts too high, you wouldn't sell very many. How many 4x4 V8 Grands does the average dealer sell? Not many, I'll bet. Too expensive for a Jeep.

I agree with what you are saying, but if the price starts too high, you wouldn't sell very many. How many 4x4 V8 Grands does the average dealer sell? Not many, I'll bet. Too expensive for a Jeep.

You'd actually be surprised. We move about 3-4 Overland/Overland Summits a week on average. I actually sold two myself last Saturday :rock:

No sir!! You can even get the Laredo in 4x4/5.7 configuration. In fact, I own one lol
That must have been an early or limited time option. I bought a Laredo 4x4 in Feb of 2012 and V6 was my only engine. Limited had V8 and V6. That hemi sure sounds nice though. A buddy had an overland...it was gorgeous.

Last edited:
That must have been an early or limited time option. I bought a Laredo 4x4 in Feb of 2012 and V6 was my only engine. Limited has V8 and V6. That hemi sure sounds nice though. A buddy had an overland...it was gorgeous.
Mine is a 13. I believe that was the first year for the Laredo X package. It went away for a little bit but according to to our ordering page, you can get it again.

Mine is a 13. I believe that was the first year for the Laredo X package. It went away for a little bit but according to to our ordering page, you can get it again.
I forgot about the Laredo X. You are right. At the time I ordered mine that was in affect too. I couldn't afford the price jump to the X albeit a fantastic value, probably the best value.

I forgot about the Laredo X. You are right. At the time I ordered mine that was in affect too. I couldn't afford the price jump to the X albeit a fantastic value, probably the best value.
Heres the cool thing about the Laredo X. You're getting all the best parts from all the best models, for cheaper then the other models.

-leather from the overland
-heated seats, back up camera, dual zone climate, nav, auto start, and automatic trunk from the limited
-Quadradrive 2 with rear limited slip from the trailhawk
-coil sprung suspension (so you can actually lift it) from the laredo.

Heres the cool thing about the Laredo X. You're getting all the best parts from all the best models, for cheaper then the other models.

-leather from the overland
-heated seats, back up camera, dual zone climate, nav, auto start, and automatic trunk from the limited
-Quadradrive 2 with rear limited slip from the trailhawk
-coil sprung suspension (so you can actually lift it) from the laredo.
Exactly. Mine had a 2.5" spacer lift, recessed winch, onboard air, couple other things. Here it is before I sold it in 2014.

IMAG1301.jpgIMAG1303.jpg

I was in to VW's before my Jeep. This sounds like the Phaeton VW tried to make to compete in the high end market. People who want luxury buy luxury vehicles. But why drive a high priced VW when you could have an Audi/Lexus/Mercedes??

If FCA wants to make a high end SUV, they should do so under the Chrysler or Dodge Brand IMO. Personally I don't think of Jeep as a luxury brand to even look at the line for such a vehicle. While you can spend as much on a Wrangler as a Suburban, the vehicles are 2 totally different audiences if you ask me.

I have a friend who was looking at the Grand Cherokee Summit. Ended up buying a 2017 Audi Q7. That is an awesome vehicle and it wasn't anywhere close to $100K.

I was excited until I learned of the $100K price tag. Now I'm mostly interested in what it was/is going to look like but nothing else.
I was too considering we are in need of a vehicle that can seat 6 comfortably and I don't like Chevy. Then I heard about the price and Tahoe or Suburban isn't sounding so bad...haha

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom