New Rig - Silver Bullet - DTD, 60/80, 40’s....

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I need to do some radiator maintenance . Rig is starting to overheat on long highway stretches and it never used to

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It’s cause you have bigger tires. Only reason I did this is because I was going that far with the motor. I wouldn’t do it just because.

It is easy enough to pull the fan and the. Wash out the radiator. I would do that.

Exodus 4x4

Honest question. Do the hemi swaps have all of these “quirks” and issues?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

The few I’ve seen have been decent, but the they’re heavy as fuck, crammed into the engine bay, and run hot. Maybe the ones running stock axles and 35’s don’t run as hot, but I hardly see JK’s like that. Most of the ones we work with have one tons and 40’s. Last one I worked on had a mechanical fan on the engine, a pusher fan on the outside of the radiator, and a pulled fan installed on the hood. Owner said it still ran hot all the time. Good engines, just not something I’d want in mine. The programming on Chrysler stuff is a joke compared to GM also.

When I say the Gen4 still has quirks, it’s not as bad as it seems. Weird shit that only comes up now and then, but nothing bad if you DON’T have OCD. You have to remember you’re taking 2 different auto manufacturers that speak different can bus protocol, and merging them together. So in all honesty it’s not that bad.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
The few I’ve seen have been decent, but the they’re heavy as fuck, crammed into the engine bay, and run hot. Maybe the ones running stock axles and 35’s don’t run as hot, but I hardly see JK’s like that. Most of the ones we work with have one tons and 40’s. Last one I worked on had a mechanical fan on the engine, a pusher fan on the outside of the radiator, and a pulled fan installed on the hood. Owner said it still ran hot all the time. Good engines, just not something I’d want in mine. The programming on Chrysler stuff is a joke compared to GM also.

When I say the Gen4 still has quirks, it’s not as bad as it seems. Weird shit that only comes up now and then, but nothing bad if you DON’T have OCD. You have to remember you’re taking 2 different auto manufacturers that speak different can bus protocol, and merging them together. So in all honesty it’s not that bad.

Good info! I was starting to think hemi again but I think GM is the answer seeing your comments.

Exodus 4x4

That’s reassuring. Need to find a motor first. I’ll start with that and then get the wiring kit once I source a motor.

Actually you need to find an engine and transmission that were mated together from production. I can explain all that later when you’re ready, but don’t just buy an engine because you found one cheap on Craigslist. The engine comp and the trans comp operating systems have to match.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Actually you need to find an engine and transmission that were mated together from production. I can explain all that later when you’re ready, but don’t just buy an engine because you found one cheap on Craigslist. The engine comp and the trans comp operating systems have to match.

Yeah I did hear that. Don’t know why just heard to buy them together. Lol

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Ok, well Brute is running three hemis, one of which is a horsepower monster. I can’t recall reading a bunch of posts from him about “quirks” shutting him down after twenty minutes of driving. If I’m spending $20k for a swap, I really don’t give a fuck about spending an extra $10k to be able to actually drive the thing. Honestly, I find it both amusing and frustrating that I have not heard about all of these swap issues before.

BaddestCross

Ok, well Brute is running three hemis, one of which is a horsepower monster. I can’t recall reading a bunch of posts from him about “quirks” shutting him down after twenty minutes of driving. If I’m spending $20k for a swap, I really don’t give a fuck about spending an extra $10k to be able to actually drive the thing. Honestly, I find it both amusing and frustrating that I have not heard about all of these swap issues before.
I just can't convince myself to put a Chevy in a Mopar. [emoji15]

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I think part of it is the AEV install. And the other part is he has a couple big ass fans in the back of his hellcat I’m pretty sure. I don’t want that.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I get what you are saying. I have run many Chevys, and having this 5.7 L Ram, I see how much larger and hotter it is than a 6.2 Chevy, but it makes a shit load of power.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve been around a number of AEV V8 upgrades. 5.7s from what I’ve seen run normal temps with no code or electrical issues. The 6.4s do run hot, again the size of that massive motor squeezed into that engine bay gives it no room to breathe. Also 13gecko said that the oem cats restrict out flow to the point where the engine can’t push heat out. He would be the one to talk too about hemi swaps and has a huge amount of knowledge on these things.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 Jeep Scrambler

Exodus 4x4

Did I miss a post about someone’s swap shutting down after 20 minutes?

The hemi stuff has never been a secret. The LS stuff hasn’t been talked about because it either doesn’t bother people enough for the them to bring it up, or they don’t want to admit there’s “quirks” with the swap. Oh, and the LS swap starts at $25k (turnkey) now. Most guys that spend that much aren’t going to admit there’s a couple of little weird issues that don’t really effect performance.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Did I miss a post about someone’s swap shutting down after 20 minutes?

The hemi stuff has never been a secret. The LS stuff hasn’t been talked about because it either doesn’t bother people enough for the them to bring it up, or they don’t want to admit there’s “quirks” with the swap. Oh, and the LS swap starts at $25k (turnkey) now. Most guys that spend that much aren’t going to admit there’s a couple of little weird issues that don’t really effect performance.

That’s the big one. Nobody wants to admit there’s issues after spending $25k or deal with issues after spending that much. In today’s society though, hard to blame them.

Abntroop

I can’t imagine having that kind of cash to toss down. The more I look at it a regear and 35’s seems to be the sweet spot before the laws of give and take start getting out of hand both financially as well as in unintended side effects. Even with that it seems to escalate wear and tear on stock parts and turns into a dominoe effect with no end in sight. If you love to wrench, great! But at the end of the day it sure is a lot more expensive and time consuming than working on older, simpler, rigs. Cheaper to deal with having to pick a new line or knowing your limitations and turning around or taking a bypass. I know it’s akin to heresy to say that out loud, but the more I read the more I think as with everything there is a fine line and being able to learn enough to make decisions you can afford. I remember a line Eddie said when he was wheeling the renegade, that it made the small stuff challenging again and reminded him that that could be fun as well. Granted, that rig came and went and we haven’t seen any more of it so maybe that was short lived.. Idunno. Bottom line is my JK is a daily driver, and until I have another rig as a daily, going the experimental route is a non starter. Too much information one way or the other over what works and doesn’t. Leaves everyone trying to reinvent the wheel and most of us aren’t hardcore mechanics.

Typed on my iPhone with my Jimmy Dean sausage fingers

Top Bottom