New Rig - Silver Bullet - DTD, 60/80, 40’s....

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I can’t imagine having that kind of cash to toss down. The more I look at it a regear and 35’s seems to be the sweet spot before the laws of give and take start getting out of hand both financially as well as in unintended side effects. Even with that it seems to escalate wear and tear on stock parts and turns into a dominoe effect with no end in sight. If you love to wrench, great! But at the end of the day it sure is a lot more expensive and time consuming than working on older, simpler, rigs. Cheaper to deal with having to pick a new line or knowing your limitations and turning around or taking a bypass. I know it’s akin to heresy to say that out loud, but the more I read the more I think as with everything there is a fine line and being able to learn enough to make decisions you can afford. I remember a line Eddie said when he was wheeling the renegade, that it made the small stuff challenging again and reminded him that that could be fun as well. Granted, that rig came and went and we haven’t seen any more of it so maybe that was short lived.. Idunno. Bottom line is my JK is a daily driver, and until I have another rig as a daily, going the experimental route is a non starter. Too much information one way or the other over what works and doesn’t. Leaves everyone trying to reinvent the wheel and most of us aren’t hardcore mechanics.

Typed on my iPhone with my Jimmy Dean sausage fingers

Umm okay....?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Ok, well Brute is running three hemis, one of which is a horsepower monster. I can’t recall reading a bunch of posts from him about “quirks” shutting him down after twenty minutes of driving. If I’m spending $20k for a swap, I really don’t give a fuck about spending an extra $10k to be able to actually drive the thing. Honestly, I find it both amusing and frustrating that I have not heard about all of these swap issues before.

The two 5.7’s were never problematic...and yes, they can run warm, but it’s not that hard to remedy...and never had an overheating issue...

The Hellcat, however, did have some pcm programming issues that needed to be worked through...it was one of the earlier Hellcat transplants, and I went through three pcm’s before the issues were resolved...and this was the coolest running engine of the three, probably because of the large oil cooler with a fan and enlarged oil capacity...

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
It’s cause you have bigger tires. Only reason I did this is because I was going that far with the motor. I wouldn’t do it just because.

It is easy enough to pull the fan and the. Wash out the radiator. I would do that.

Is there a write up or a video anywhere on how to pull the fan? Tried spraying water from a hose through and don’t think I got anything haha .

Pulled and set aside the engine cover . Think I will need to do this job and replace the 2 rad hoses soon. Maybe post rubicon if it still overheats on the way up .

Routinely getting temp gauge up to near 3/4 on highways .. feel like this didn’t happen before when I first got the 37s. This was with a really heavily loaded rig with 3 ppl and camping gear tho [emoji19]

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Is there a write up or a video anywhere on how to pull the fan? Tried spraying water from a hose through and don’t think I got anything haha .

Pulled and set aside the engine cover . Think I will need to do this job and replace the 2 rad hoses soon. Maybe post rubicon if it still overheats on the way up .

Routinely getting temp gauge up to near 3/4 on highways .. feel like this didn’t happen before when I first got the 37s. This was with a really heavily loaded rig with 3 ppl and camping gear tho [emoji19]

Honestly you probably don’t need to do it. This thing is seven years old and has done a lot of offroad miles. Your overheating is the larger tires. Turn your ac off and it’ll go down.

As for the fan, there is two bolts near the top you take out, disconnect the wiring harness from the top left and it pops out of the radiator.

WJCO

Meme King

If you're still going to try to clean everything out, you can build this little tool for less than 20 bucks out of 1/4" copper pipe. You hook it up to a garden hose and it can get it some tight areas without removing parts.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/53422-I-Hate-Mud-Now!!?p=1046369&viewfull=1#post1046369

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Honestly you probably don’t need to do it. This thing is seven years old and has done a lot of offroad miles. Your overheating is the larger tires. Turn your ac off and it’ll go down.

As for the fan, there is two bolts near the top you take out, disconnect the wiring harness from the top left and it pops out of the radiator.

Got it. Didn’t realize most ppl with 37s turned off AC going up hill . I’m gonna have to try the clean out at some point .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WJCO

Meme King
Got it. Didn’t realize most ppl with 37s turned off AC going up hill . I’m gonna have to try the clean out at some point .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ain't gonna lie. Even on my rig with just 35s and a V8, when going up a pass fully loaded with a family of 5 and all our gear, turning off the AC keeps the temp down and the power up. Physics are just physics.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Ain't gonna lie. Even on my rig with just 35s and a V8, when going up a pass fully loaded with a family of 5 and all our gear, turning off the AC keeps the temp down and the power up. Physics are just physics.

Damn okay AC off it is . When temp gauge goes above middle it’s time to let off gas I assume ? When is too hot?

Top Bottom