NEW Shoes for MOBY : 40x13.50R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro M/T Tires

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They look great, can you give us an actual measurement once you get them on? Best of luck with them.

You bet! I'm eager to see how they compare to other 40" MT's I've run in the past.

What's the weight and difference between the two tires at that size? I understand the Toyos are heavy at any size.

Yes, Toyos are heavy tires but trust me, not as much as so many seem to think. But, like you, I am interested in seeing what the actual size and weight difference is. I'll be sure to post up what I find when I can.

Like the sidewalls on those. Can't wait to see how they perform on moby

Well, if I can break down what I have and can get these new tires mounted by the end of the weekend, I will for sure get out on the rocks to test them out next week. :yup:

Love the tires! My father just installed some on his Avalanche. Interested in the comparison between them and the Toyo's being I have a new set of Toyo's heading to the house.

Toyos are great tires and as many know, they are what we've preferred running on Moby for quite some time. I don't think you'll be disappointed. From experience, I have found that the Cooper STT Pros hook up better on the trail but are slightly louder on pavement. Where they really tip the scales is in their price. What I have found is that you can get 5 Coopers for the price of 4 Toyos or Nittos and at least back when I needed a set of 37's for Rubicat, they were actually available whereas my other choices were not.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Will your 40" Toyos be up for sale soon?

LOL!! Hadn't even thought about it but yeah, I suppose they will be :crazyeyes:

Looks good! But do they only make them in a 13.50 or do they make a 14.50 and 15.50 also?

As of now, the 40's are only available in a 13.50 and for a 17" wheel. For my purposes, that's what I wanted and prefer. Anything wider on full width axles is too wide - at least, based on my experience.

Are these officially available? I can't seem to find them on the "usual" tire sites and Cooper doesn't list them yet on the tire size and specifications list.

No, there is no information about them anywhere yet but yes, they are officially available now. You need to have your tire shop call and order them for you.

mastrcruse

LOL!! Hadn't even thought about it but yeah, I suppose they will be :crazyeyes:

As of now, the 40's are only available in a 13.50 and for a 17" wheel. For my purposes, that's what I wanted and prefer. Anything wider on full width axles is too wide - at least, based on my experience.

No, there is no information about them anywhere yet but yes, they are officially available now. You need to have your tire shop call and order them for you.

Thanks! I'm excited to hear your thoughts on the onroad comfort comparing the 37 and 40" versions on Moby and Rubicat. I'd almost think Moby would be more comfortable on the road with the 40" since it's a C and has more rubber.

Brute

Hooked
They're HERE!! :wings:

As some of you may know, Cindy and I have been running 37x13.50R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro M/T tires on our 2012 Jeep JK Wrangler, also known as Rubicat and a much smaller 225/75R16 version of it on Renny, our 2015 Jeep Renegade and we've been so impressed with how well they perform, we've literally been chomping at the bit to get them in a size 40 for Moby. Well, I'm happy to announce that Cooper Tire is finally making these awesome tires in a 40x13.50R17 and we just got a complete set of 5 of them in today. Needless to say, you know what we'll be working this weekend.

For those of you who aren't aware of it, the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro is a replacement of its predecessor which was just called the STT. According to Cooper, this new tire is their most advanced and extreme to date and in addition to it's new and more original tread design that features an aggressive "3-2 center rib design" and shoulder lugs they call "side-biters", the new STT Pro comes with an all new "silica tread compound" and improved sidewall strength through heir "3-Ply Armor-Tek3. I should note that unlike the 37x13.50R17's which come in an Load Range E, these new 40x13.50R17's come in a softer Load Range C and that means they will offer a softer ride. Of course, what we love most about Cooper Tires is that they're made right here in the U.S.A.

With all that said, here are some shots of what we just got. Drool away :drool: :crazyeyes: :cool:

I'll be interested to see how they air down...I have Toyo's OC MT's on the Brute and the sidewalls are pretty stiff...almost need to get into single digits to get a decent bulge...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn! Those are big! Very nice. How much for the bald used ones on Moby now?

LOL!! Moby's tires are well used but far from bald. The shoulders are worn from trail use for sure but I think we have about 20k on them and down the middle, they still look great.

Thanks! I'm excited to hear your thoughts on the onroad comfort comparing the 37 and 40" versions on Moby and Rubicat. I'd almost think Moby would be more comfortable on the road with the 40" since it's a C and has more rubber.

Without question, Range C 40x13.50/R17 Toyos are a hell of a lot more comfortable than Range E 37x13.50/R17's. The 37" Cooper STT Pros that we're running on Rubicat are surprisingly comfortable for being a Range E tire and I would assume that the Range C 40's will be even more so.

I'll be interested to see how they air down...I have Toyo's OC MT's on the Brute and the sidewalls are pretty stiff...almost need to get into single digits to get a decent bulge...

Yeah, that's typical of Toyos. I get people telling me all the time on YouTube that I need to air down. Little do they know that I typically run about 8 psi on the trail. If it's a really hard trail, I'll go down to 4 psi and have actually run 0 psi a couple of times without knowing it at the time. By comparison, if I air down the 37x13.50 Cooper STT Pros we have on Rubicat to just 15 psi, they "look" more like they're sitting at 10 psi or lower and this is in spite of the fact that they are a Range E tire.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, finally found some time this afternoon to rack up Moby and work on breaking down tires.
IMG_0704.jpg

Gotta remember to remove the valve stems before working on the rings.
IMG_0705.jpg

Now for the fun part - spending the better part of an hour removing a gazillion bolts :crazyeyes:
IMG_0706.jpg

Only thing that sucks is that all the tire shop close early on Saturday and so now we're in a holding pattern. Hopefully we can find something open on Sunday otherwise, I might have to dismount the tires from the wheels the old fashion way :icon_crazy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, just for kicks and giggles, Cindy and I took a few measurements and weighed a few things. For your entertainment, I think you'd be interested to know that a brand new 40x13.50/R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro unmounted weighs 91.5 lbs., has an actual footprint that measures about 11-5/16" and a tread depth of about 11/16".

Here you can see how we measured across the widest point of the tread footprint.
IMG_0724.jpg

As you can see here, edge to edge, the actual tread footprint measures 11-5/16".
IMG_0723.jpg

And here you can see that the tread depth is an impressive 11/16" deep.
IMG_0721.jpg

By contrast, a brand new 40x13.50/R17 Toyo Open Country M/T has a tread footprint that only measures about 10-3/8".
IMG_0726.jpg

And, the Toyo only has a tread depth of about 5/8".
IMG_0720.jpg

I should note that mounted and fully inflated, the widest point on the 40x13.50R17 Toyo Open Country M/T is a true 13.50" wide. Likewise, on our mounted and inflated 37x13.50/R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros that we have on Rubicat, the widest point on them is a true 13.50" as well. I can only assume for now that the same will be true of the 40x13.50/R17 Cooper.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Ummm, if I'm lucky, nothing. Otherwise, tape on weights from a tire shop? :idontknow:

I hear you can throw in like 5 pounds of balancing bead.... er BBs and that'll make a cool sounds when you drive, slow and accelerate. Almost like having a playing card in the spokes of your bike back in the day!:rock:

Top Bottom