Nitto or MTR/K's...weight/mileage advantage?

FoxC

I'm upgrading to an Evo 4" lift and 37's. I run a lot of sand/gravel washes in my area and will be in the rocks once I have the new lift on.
Nitto trail grapplers seem to be "the choice" these days. I understand the nitto's dont last too long though. I know the Nitto's are great in the rocks, but I'm a little worried about stiff sidewalls in the sand washes.
question 1: How many miles can I realistically expect from the nitto's with proper rotation?
question 2: How are the Nitto's in sand?

I really like the weight of the MTR/K's...(and the looks).
question 3: Will 8lbs per tire really give any noticeable difference? (MTR/K vs Nitto)
question 4: Is there a mileage advantage with the MTR/K's over the Nitto's?

I appreciate everyones input!:beer:

KernHydro

The nittos do good in the sand and so do mtrs however mtrs have alot of issues with the sidewall and flex and are not that great in the rocks. Gas mileage wise mtrs are probable better do to being lighter but they require frequent balancing and some times even cant be balanced. The mtr can also be hard to source if you need a replacement because its a limited production tire. Nittos are heavy but you can get metric sizes that are lighter load ranges than their e rated ones, that would probable be the way I would go.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
question 1: How many miles can I realistically expect from the nitto's with proper rotation?

at the rate i'm going through mine, i'd say about 45,000 miles, maybe 50,000

question 2: How are the Nitto's in sand?

they work really well.

I really like the weight of the MTR/K's...(and the looks).
question 3: Will 8lbs per tire really give any noticeable difference? (MTR/K vs Nitto)[/quote]

the slight extra weight is insignificant and if anything, more unsprung weight is a good thing.

question 4: Is there a mileage advantage with the MTR/K's over the Nitto's?

none. i have run both and i will never run an mtr/k again. sure, they look great and i oh so wanted to like them but, they are difficult to balance, behave poorly on pavement, have really weak sidewalls and are unpredictable on the rocks. or, at least that what i had found.

Hightower

Eddie

U keep dogging my tires lol sure there hard to find, side walls are week, and they have fallen off my rig in the middle of know where But the chicks dig them! Lol
I will never buy them again for all the same reasons Eddie gave you.

KernHydro

it seems like the krawlers hook up better from videos ive seen. I have seen videos of the nittos mud grapplers having issues hooking up in places like moab but have zero experience with them. krawlers will ware out quick on the road and are crazy expensive

Last edited:

mackey

Right now I have 37 BFG KM2s. I'm planning on upgrading my axles so I was looking at the Krawler in 39s. Isn't the blue Krawler harder and more for street? What's the price difference between the Krawer and Nitto Muds

StrizzyChris

it seems like the krawlers hook up better from videos ive seen. I have seen videos of the nittos mud grapplers having issues hooking up in places like moab but have zero experience with them. krawlers will ware out quick on the road and are crazy expensive

Moab has a lot of "slick rock" and, in many areas, any agressive M/T like Nitto MG's will not hook up(as well). Those areas are served better with something like an A/T. Jagged rock or mud and the Mud Grapplers will hook up great!

KernHydro

Moab has a lot of "slick rock" and, in many areas, any agressive M/T like Nitto MG's will not hook up(as well). Those areas are served better with something like an A/T. Jagged rock or mud and the Mud Grapplers will hook up great!
A couple of videos Im referring to show a good size group going up the same spot and everyone has no issuse except the MGs on this video. Again Im not experienced with this tire just alittle of what i have seen. Not a fan of the pattern either. I do like the trail grappler enough that i bought a set.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie

U keep dogging my tires lol sure there hard to find, side walls are week, and they have fallen off my rig in the middle of know where But the chicks dig them! Lol
I will never buy them again for all the same reasons Eddie gave you.

:cheesy: sorry my friend. like i said, they are a great looking tire and i was quick to order a set up soon after they came out. i really really wanted to like them but found myself frustrated with them again and again instead.

Is there a big difference between the Nitto Mud Grapplers and the BFG Krawler?

up, there sure is. aside from tread pattern, the noise level is different, the rubber compound is different, shoulder lug bite is way different and sidewall thickness is even more different.

the problem with watching videos is that you'll see different drivers of different skill levels driving different rigs up the same obstacle and one can make a tire look great and another look bad. if anything, i have personally seen the exact opposite of what you have in videos. i will say however that on really hard trails, ones with really big rocks that are sharp and jagged (unlike moab where all they have is smooth ledges), the mud grapplers excell.

i know people have been saying that for years but from what i've seen, it's just an old wives tale. fact of the matter is, "slick rock" is like coarse sand paper and it provides an amazing amount of traction. the only reason why it's called "slick" is because of early pioneers who found it difficult to traverse with their horses wearing metal shod horse shoes. the only mt that i've seen really suck in moab is the irok and, it is probable to suggest that might be from a combination of hard rubber compound and lack of surface area its tread pattern provides.

A couple of videos Im referring to show a good size group going up the same spot and everyone has no issuse except the MGs on this video. Again Im not experienced with this tire just alittle of what i have seen. Not a fan of the pattern either. I do like the trail grappler enough that i bought a set.

here are a few videos that'll show you just how poorly mud grapplers do on the trail.

this first clip is out near bullhead. unfortunately, the video doesn't really do the obstacle justice but, i think it'll get the point across...

this is a clip from carnage canyon bv and can tell you that the rock faces were very slick and difficult to even climb on foot...

and, this is a clip out on metal masher going up a rock face that few ever make up regardless of what tire they run.

a good driver can make an under-built rig with sub-standard tires perform in a way that a rookie in a built up rig with the best tires could never hope to. something to take into consideration when watching videos on the internet. :yup:

mackey

:up, there sure is. aside from tread pattern, the noise level is different, the rubber compound is different, shoulder lug bite is way different and sidewall thickness is even more different.:

I will use my KM2 37s as a daily driver and then switch to 39s or 40s (havnt decided yet) for when on an adventure. Eddie can you please compare / explain the difference between the Nitto Mud vs the BFG Krawler with what you mentioned above. Exp. noise level, shoulder lug bite, rubber compound and sidewall thickness. After an amazing trip on the Rubicon Trail, I was bummed when I noticed a big gash / cut / rip on the sidewall of my KM2 tire. The tire has less than 4k miles and I dont know if the sidewall can be fixed. Lesson learned :eek:)

FoxC

for me locally, its all sand/gravel and jagged rock. As long as the nitto trails function well in these arena's then I guess it is the tire of choice. i deffinately dont want to mess with potential balancing issues a mtr/k might have.
:beer:

Top Bottom