Noob Coil over question..

10frank9

Web Wheeler
question for a friend that is trying to figure out his build on a 2008 2 door.... he has a budget boost on now and wants to upgrade his suspension that being said would you buy coilovers and run them with stock Control arms and upgrade your arms later.. or would you do a Enforcer kit and and 3" springs?? he is wanting to run 37's :beer: eventually he will be upgrading to coil overs anyway

I would run what he has now. No sense in buying the Enforcer if he plans on going coilovers anyway. I would recommend he gets the lower front and upper rear arms (adjustable) but other than that he can run stock arms with coilovers. Btw I love my Enforcer, just can't recommend someone spends money twice!

StrizzyChris

question for a friend that is trying to figure out his build on a 2008 2 door.... he has a budget boost on now and wants to upgrade his suspension that being said would you buy coilovers and run them with stock Control arms and upgrade your arms later.. or would you do a Enforcer kit and and 3" springs?? he is wanting to run 37's :beer: eventually he will be upgrading to coil overs anyway

not talking in terms of drive shafts and steering correction....with the coilovers hell be running at minimum 3.5" and need at least adjustable front lower CAs and probably rear uppers being that its a 2d. With the enforcer 3" the kit has front lowers

JK1

I would run what he has now. No sense in buying the Enforcer if he plans on going coilovers anyway. I would recommend he gets the lower front and upper rear arms (adjustable) but other than that he can run stock arms with coilovers. Btw I love my Enforcer, just can't recommend someone spends money twice!

That is what i told him too.. I told him over the winter watch for someone selling used lowers and uppers but he didnt need tham for the coilovers i just wanted to make sure i was right on that point... at the lowest setting on the coilovers are driveshafts a must right away on a 2 door??

bl17z90

I'm pretty sure I have read it that you can run them with the stock arms, however, the amount of flex that the coilovers provide will destroy the stock bushings pretty quick.

JK1

I'm pretty sure I have read it that you can run them with the stock arms, however, the amount of flex that the coilovers provide will destroy the stock bushings pretty quick.

i figured that but he wont be doing any real wheeling for at least 6 months lol so that should giv him plenty of time to find some adjustable uppers and lowers... at the lowest setting can he run a draglink flip if he runs his air bumps pretty close to the lower bump?

StrizzyChris

I'm pretty sure I have read it that you can run them with the stock arms.

You really should run front lowers to prevent driveline issues and correct the driveshaft angle. A 2door would really need rear uppers to prevent this as well. A 4d is long enough that 3.5" of lift wont really be as bad of an angle, but you can get away with front lower only in them.

however, the amount of flex that the coilovers provide will destroy the stock bushings pretty quick.

This is 100% correct that stock bushings will be blown out quickly with regular full cycling of the suspension. Those bushings weren't meant for that kind of misalignment.

Trembley

I would just go plush rides then, best ride youll get for how cheap they are.

I'm thinking about coil overs in just weighing the benefits vs. the cost.

I hate buying things twice and I worry that if I go with the plush rides and kings or another shock I'll still wanna go bolt on coilovers later. I'll never be a DTD guy but bolt on co's could be my speed.

I'll have to go for a ride on some plush coils to see I guess.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm thinking about coil overs in just weighing the benefits vs. the cost.

I hate buying things twice and I worry that if I go with the plush rides and kings or another shock I'll still wanna go bolt on coilovers later. I'll never be a DTD guy but bolt on co's could be my speed.

I'll have to go for a ride on some plush coils to see I guess.

take a ride in Jims then soon. he has the plush rides and they are great! took a ride in jims jeep a few weeks ago. makes me hate my teraflex coils lol

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Having grown up back east I think coilovers are overkill for you. Yes the flex is nice but will you ever be going 40 or 50 over washboard roads with knee high whoops? Most likely not. The king 2.5's and plush ride coils are what I would pick if I were back there.

Trembley

Having grown up back east I think coilovers are overkill for you. Yes the flex is nice but will you ever be going 40 or 50 over washboard roads with knee high whoops? Most likely not. The king 2.5's and plush ride coils are what I would pick if I were back there.

Yeah I'm not really the go fast type, but having the ability to would be nice. I'll be forth coming and say in the next few years I have some big trips coming...Moab, Rubicon, Colorado, Michigan and just want to be best prepared as possible and providing the best ride possible to the wife and kids is important to me.

Trembley

Different, but related question how can I tell how long my shocks are....I got a rough country 2.5" budget boost second hand and he said they were longer shocks to accommodate the lift so he didn't need extension brackets to go on the stockers...

That being said I have no idea what they actually are....they are that rough country silver in color ...

What I want to know is if they'd be appropriate length for the 3" plush rides or not.

Let me know of there is something I can look at to identify them for sure. I'm also partly convinced they can account for some of my ride quality issues. :)

Last edited:

1BAMFR

Actually, you'd be incorrect here. Most of us running coil overs ARE using the Rubi Disconnect just with much longer links. The e-disco is awesome and I love mine.

main.php

You Rubi guys are spoiled..I enjoy beating the shit out of my Jeep to re-connect my links after each trail session!:eek::cheesy:

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I'm hoping my wife will have that kind of courage when we hit the Rubicon this summer. I showed her this picture and she asked me "Is that Jeep going to make it out?"
It's Eddie's wife driving!
Lucy said: I want to try that!

So maybe she 'll take the wheel this summer for a while

Mods at the speed of Caltrans

Hopefully she is like my wife. I can't keep her from behind the wheel! She also spends time trying to talk the other women on trail runs into driving their rigs, but sometimes I think the husbands don't like that!

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
My take on coilovers is that if you can comfortably afford them, then go for it. Even if you never leave the pavement you will love them. And if you do wheel them hard you will REALLY love them.
:beer::beer:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Different, but related question how can I tell how long my shocks are....I got a rough country 2.5" budget boost second hand and he said they were longer shocks to accommodate the lift so he didn't need extension brackets to go on the stockers...

That being said I have no idea what they actually are....they are that rough country silver in color ...

What I want to know is if they'd be appropriate length for the 3" plush rides or not.

Let me know of there is something I can look at to identify them for sure. I'm also partly convinced they can account for some of my ride quality issues. :)

You want the extended length (eye to eye) of the shock to be about 27" which is right for a 3" lift. You can either remove your shock and measure or try and flex it out and measure. RC might have specs for their shocks available on their website as well. 4wd.com is also usually a good resource for checking most shock lengths. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom