Nubs mcgees xj build thread

congrats nubs glad to see you back in a jeep again :thumb:

my local guy has decent bumpers that don't break the bank, ill send you a pm with his website.

Thanks Jim, I checked them out.:thumb: I will be ordering some bumpers after I get the lift and tires on.

Rear end on my xj

I was looking at getting diff covers yesterday..... Dana rears hell yeah all day I can get them. I looked at the rear Diff on this XJ and it has the Chrysler 8.25 rear. Now here is the questions.

1. How well does this rear hold up?

2. Is it any good for off road?

3. If the answers to # 1 and 2 are not what I want to hear, Does anyone have a 44 or 60 rear the can sell me? I can always re-gear.

OJK12

I was looking at getting diff covers yesterday..... Dana rears hell yeah all day I can get them. I looked at the rear Diff on this XJ and it has the Chrysler 8.25 rear. Now here is the questions. 1. How well does this rear hold up? 2. Is it any good for off road? 3. If the answers to # 1 and 2 are not what I want to hear, Does anyone have a 44 or 60 rear the can sell me? I can always re-gear.

The 8.25 is a great rear end both on and off-road. Although I'd say 35's are it's limits I know a lot if guys still running this rear and beating on it with Lincoln lockers and they take it very well. They have some nice features such as spanner nut adjusters on each side of the carrier rather than shims, both axle shafts are the same length so you only need to carry one shaft and they are pretty beefy shafts. They are almost the same size as a JK axle I think ( not 100% sure but if not they are dang close). I'd say keep it!

The 8.25 is a great rear end both on and off-road. Although I'd say 35's are it's limits I know a lot if guys still running this rear and beating on it with Lincoln lockers and they take it very well. They have some nice features such as spanner nut adjusters on each side of the carrier rather than shims, both axle shafts are the same length so you only need to carry one shaft and they are pretty beefy shafts. They are almost the same size as a JK axle I think ( not 100% sure but if not they are dang close). I'd say keep it!

Thank you, I am starting to feel better about this rear now.

That's a shit ton of parts you got there nubs! Can't wait to see your rig transform!

Sent from my iPhone

Wrenching party in a few weeks. Come on over. I have access to my old shop for a weekend. Plan on getting the lift and SYE/driveshaft on one Saturday.
:rock:

KPM171

Wrenching party in a few weeks. Come on over. I have access to my old shop for a weekend. Plan on getting the lift and SYE/driveshaft on one Saturday.
:rock:

I've done a similar SYE kit before. Shoot me a text when you know when you are gonna wrench.

DKronk42

I wheel with alot of XJ's in my area, built right you wont be disappointed Nubs, when we breaking it in at RC?

I wheel with alot of XJ's in my area, built right you wont be disappointed Nubs, when we breaking it in at RC?

Soon as I can save up for a wheel and tire package. I'm thinking july/august. Gonna try to wheel her on stock gears first, then change to the 4:56 gears and heavier axle shafts.

Top Bottom