Oil consumption

This post is a little disturbing. I just sold my 2004 Silverado for my 2015 JKU. My old Silverado had 300k on it and never burned a drop of oil.
Question is when did it start burning oil? I just passed 1000 mi wondering if it is first oil change time. Maybe Jeep has issue with cleanliness during motor assembly.

Just a thought on longevity of the motor.

Mine started around 25k. I made it to 48k.

Brent McCartney

Mine started around 25k. I made it to 48k.

Glad I bought the extended warranty. I would assume regular oil changes, and all. 25 k burning oil seems crazy to me. 48k needing new motor is absolutely craziness.
My work truck is a 2001 Dodge ram and it just started burning oil at about 325k, changing oil every 5000. With the cheapest oil my boss can find.
Any idea how prevalent this problem is? Seem there are a few here.

Glad I bought the extended warranty. I would assume regular oil changes, and all. 25 k burning oil seems crazy to me. 48k needing new motor is absolutely craziness.
My work truck is a 2001 Dodge ram and it just started burning oil at about 325k, changing oil every 5000. With the cheapest oil my boss can find.

I "had" and extended warranty too. Don't count on that. I personally know 4 jeeps that are currently having this issue and 2 that have got new motors.

Brent McCartney

I just went out and checked my oil. Looks fine. I have used magnetic drain plugs in cars before to draw any contamination out. Think I had one on my Silverado if I recall.
This sucks.

I have an 07 Rubi and 08 Sahara. Both use oil and I have to stay on top of it. I have a ritual to check oil every Friday. If it needs a little, I add a little. I always use Castrol, sometimes it uses a lot, sometimes it stays perfectly serviced for weeks. Unfortunately these new Jeeps have their quirks. But the old ones did too. If you love your machine, take care of it, keep an eye on it, and nurse it when it needs nursing. Its unfortunate that some are using more then others. I hope that the new Diesels (if we ever see them) live up to their reputation. If it weren't so danged expensive, Id toss a 4BT in there in a heartbeat. But for now... check that oil like religion.

^^Well said. I thought oil consumption and jeeps was a thing of the past post 2012.

My 08 burned 450ml every 750km, convinced the dealer that wasn't right and had motor rebuilt at 68,000km. 175,000Km on the clock now she's burns 900ml every 6,000Kms.

Lol my oil ritual is Sunday morning.

Follow up with dealer and for the love of all things good check thy oil regularly no matter what you drive.

Grubbicon

My 2007 has 71k on it and doesnt burn oil. Im sure its only a matter of time before it starts though. Ill be amazed if it makes another 71k.

I will point out the difference between a lot of these is the 3.8 vs 3.6. It appears the 3.6 has a few more issues with this than the 3.8 did/does.

Jeep2010

I have an 07 Rubi and 08 Sahara. Both use oil and I have to stay on top of it. I have a ritual to check oil every Friday. If it needs a little, I add a little. I always use Castrol, sometimes it uses a lot, sometimes it stays perfectly serviced for weeks. Unfortunately these new Jeeps have their quirks. But the old ones did too. If you love your machine, take care of it, keep an eye on it, and nurse it when it needs nursing. Its unfortunate that some are using more then others. I hope that the new Diesels (if we ever see them) live up to their reputation. If it weren't so danged expensive, Id toss a 4BT in there in a heartbeat. But for now... check that oil like religion.

I'm going to be putting the 4bt in when my 3.8 dies but it is unbelievable how much it is. I work at a jeep dealer and will have help putting it in so that helps a tad bit. And they are hoping for 2017 on the diesel I believe. I'm a little nervous about what jeep is doing. I've heard a lot of rumors going around lol.

Jeep2010

I tried to search to see if this has already been discussed. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places..... but....

I have a 2012 JKU. 3.6l. It's consuming oil faster then I can put it in. 3.5 quarts in less the 2 weeks. Left me sit and dropped into limp mode several times... I keep oil with me... but really?

It has 60k miles on it. Outside of the motor is dry 100%. There are absolutely no oil leaks! And I'm not seeing smoke out the exhaust.

Is this a known problem? Where is it going?

I have an appointment with the dealer at the end of this week for them to check it out, but I want to educate myself before I go. It's still under warranty and if something major needs done... I just don't want them to try to bullshit me is all...

Anyone else see this? Or have this issue?

If you'd like me to I can try and talk to somebody at my dealership and see if we can figure something out? It might be worth a shot.

Siebermd

I'm going to be putting the 4bt in when my 3.8 dies but it is unbelievable how much it is. I work at a jeep dealer and will have help putting it in so that helps a tad bit. And they are hoping for 2017 on the diesel I believe. I'm a little nervous about what jeep is doing. I've heard a lot of rumors going around lol.

Lucky you!! I would love to do that. Such a great motor.

bigrob703

I will point out the difference between a lot of these is the 3.8 vs 3.6. It appears the 3.6 has a few more issues with this than the 3.8 did/does.

Crippledpetey,

I know you said this was covered in your build thread (sorry I'm new here), but did you have the head replaced?

I did around 20k miles in my 2012.. Oil consumption was fine until about 40K miles (I just hit 60k). Now, I have to add about 1/8 qt every time I fill up with gas (mobii 1 extended mileage changed every 10k miles, filter change every 5k). Not cool, not cool at all..

What is the best way to document this in order to bring to the dealership's attn?

Crippledpetey,

I know you said this was covered in your build thread (sorry I'm new here), but did you have the head replaced?

I did around 20k miles in my 2012.. Oil consumption was fine until about 40K miles (I just hit 60k). Now, I have to add about 1/8 qt every time I fill up with gas (mobii 1 extended mileage changed every 10k miles, filter change every 5k). Not cool, not cool at all..

What is the best way to document this in order to bring to the dealership's attn?

I didn't have the typical head replacement like others. My head gasket blew at like 20-25k. They pulled and check the heads and said they were within "tolerances". Then it ran ok for awhile but wasn't the same very noticeable change in power. It started burning oil and I took it in a few times but they couldn't find anything. Then I went to Moab and on the way my jeep went into limp mode and completely shut off. Pulled over and checked codes. It gave me an oil pump error so I checked the oil and it wasn't even on the dipstick. Ended up adding 2 quarts. Kept checking every day and it was fine, no loss. Made it home then a couple weeks later went on the WAL Moab trip and it started up again but this time more frequent. It was driving like crap on the hills and started making a clicking noise. I checked and topped oil off every morning to make sure then one day boom it gave. Then grand junc dealer basically rebuilt cylinders 4 and 6 as much as they could without tearing down the whole motor. Replaced all my sensors, cam shaft was broke and in pieces, etc. A couple days later they had it "fixed" and I drove it home. From dealer to napa was 1060 miles and it burned 2.5 quarts there. Then another .5 quarts from napa to Chico. I took it in again and they did a bunch of tests told me to drive it to check oil consumption even though the oil light was coming on. That went on for about 2000 miles. Then I went on a trip and my jeep went into limp mode 3 times with severe knocking. I took it in again they had it for 3 weeks. Now I have my jeep, no warranty and a shitty running, oil burning 3.6 and a free car wash lol (my dealer gives them out with every service).

Hope this helps. There are a bunch more details on my build thread but this is the gist :cheesy:

Document document document !

thardy

Banned
The part that blows my mind is that 2 dealers actually did motor work on it under warranty. But now that they have realized that there's no saving the motor, FCA won't cover it. It doesn't surprise me (not much does these days) but it's still shitty of them.

Top Bottom