Oil consumption

bigrob703

I didn't have the typical head replacement like others. My head gasket blew at like 20-25k. They pulled and check the heads and said they were within "tolerances". Then it ran ok for awhile but wasn't the same very noticeable change in power. It started burning oil and I took it in a few times but they couldn't find anything. Then I went to Moab and on the way my jeep went into limp mode and completely shut off. Pulled over and checked codes. It gave me an oil pump error so I checked the oil and it wasn't even on the dipstick. Ended up adding 2 quarts. Kept checking every day and it was fine, no loss. Made it home then a couple weeks later went on the WAL Moab trip and it started up again but this time more frequent. It was driving like crap on the hills and started making a clicking noise. I checked and topped oil off every morning to make sure then one day boom it gave. Then grand junc dealer basically rebuilt cylinders 4 and 6 as much as they could without tearing down the whole motor. Replaced all my sensors, cam shaft was broke and in pieces, etc. A couple days later they had it "fixed" and I drove it home. From dealer to napa was 1060 miles and it burned 2.5 quarts there. Then another .5 quarts from napa to Chico. I took it in again and they did a bunch of tests told me to drive it to check oil consumption even though the oil light was coming on. That went on for about 2000 miles. Then I went on a trip and my jeep went into limp mode 3 times with severe knocking. I took it in again they had it for 3 weeks. Now I have my jeep, no warranty and a shitty running, oil burning 3.6 and a free car wash lol (my dealer gives them out with every service).

Hope this helps. There are a bunch more details on my build thread but this is the gist :cheesy:

Document document document !

Oh man, that is terrible! Sorry to hear about this ordeal! WTF Chrysler??? I do know how insurance works, but WTF?

junior3382

After several weeks of going back and forth with Chrysler, my JKU Now has a new motor, and running better then ever! They needed proof, and when they filled my oil, and I drove less then 250 miles before it was more then a quart low, then they started to dig... turns out the rings on cylinders 2 ans 3 were shot! And after getting it back, I am thinking they have been bad for a while as I had no idea I had that much of a power loss! With it firing on all 6 cylinders now, its roars... and my fuel mileage is also back... so I appreciate all the advice and comments... and for those with 2012 or newer JK's with the 3.6, keep and eye out for this... I was told it is very common...

Top Bottom