Oil disapearing

well i dropped off the jeep yesterday, spoke with the gm of parts and service, basicly ask him NOT to float me threw on the warrenty, because i have under 6k left on factory warrenty.. He asured me that the problem will be fixed the first time, and basicly said if its a pvc, headgasket or simple fix the warrenty will stay the same but if they fix a hard part re-ring it, or change the engine block i will get another 12/12 on top of the existing warrenty.. but in the mean time they gave me this to drive lol
2012-08-0895154207.jpg

2012-08-0895154151.jpg

Is it the 6cyl? The R/T runs great. :)

bil

Me too!

Well I've got 53K on my 2008 JK 3.8L.

When I bought it new in '08 had oil leak. Looked like a rear main leak at the time. After SEVERAL times in the dealership shop (more than 6) finally talked to a buddy on another forum. He was a previous Jeep mechanic. He clued me in to his mechanic buddy in Macon.

But my local dealer still didn't get it fixed. Had to prove to them the recall was my issue.

Then they finally fixed it. That was sometime late in 2008.

Fast forward to about 3 oil changes ago. I started to notice I needed to top off between my 5000mi changes at about 1000mi increments.
Didn't think much of it until last oil change.

So I took it in and said, I was wary that the old issue may be back. However, I couldn't see any leaks anywhere I parked. No blue smoke out the tailpipe, either.

So now we are doing the oil consumption test dance. The service manager 'handled' me today. I told him I've already read about the 50K and below = 1000mi./1qt and over 50K = 750mi./1qt. Chrysler "standard".

He wanted me to sign the work order that I acknowledged the "standard". I refused.

He essentially told me I am not qualified for a repair as I have only used 3/4 of a quart in 993 miles.

This is redonkquelous!

Never have I owned- nor heard - of any car having "lost" a quart in 1000 miles! After looking on the 'net I've seen a lot of other folks who also think this is NOT ACCEPTABLE!

Maybe another dealer may assist? Just ticks me off royally!

What's your situation? Updates?

Last edited:

seanb123

Unfortunately this is something that happens a lot. I got my oil changed today. I put 2 quarts about a month ago and 2 days ago I got the change oil light which is approximately 2 quarts low. So looks like I burned 4 quarts in less than 3000 miles roughly 25-2600

bil

All my suspension,wheels,tires - all stock. It wasn't like this between the final porosity fix and the succeeding few years.

There is a possibility that my PCV valve is sticking and may need cleaned/replaced.

seanb123

All my suspension,wheels,tires - all stock. It wasn't like this between the final porosity fix and the succeeding few years.

There is a possibility that my PCV valve is sticking and may need cleaned/replaced.

That's not a bad place to start but don't expect a miracle. This 3.8 was replace for a reason oil consumption was sure part of that

Moochie

Unfortunately this is something that happens a lot. I got my oil changed today. I put 2 quarts about a month ago and 2 days ago I got the change oil light which is approximately 2 quarts low. So looks like I burned 4 quarts in less than 3000 miles roughly 25-2600

I'm a little confused by your post. The change oil message has nothing to do with your oil level. The dipstick is the only way you can see how much oil you have. If your red oil CEL light comes on it means you have 0 oil pressure and it's to late to save your engine. This light only comes on at 0 oil pressure.

seanb123

I'm a little confused by your post. The change oil message has nothing to do with your oil level. The dipstick is the only way you can see how much oil you have. If your red oil CEL light comes on it means you have 0 oil pressure and it's to late to save your engine. This light only comes on at 0 oil pressure.

I am talking about the message and have had it a few times when it was really low on oil. Each time I've gotten this message I've checked the oil and it has been about 2 quarts low. Now I know that the message is suppose to be through the mileage but I have reset the message and it still comes back on If it remains that low. I am no jeep tech so please correct me if I am wrong but It does make sense to me that a 2007+ would only rely on a dipstick for something as important as oil

bil

Well unfortunately, some ppl are recommending checking the oil at each fill up...

Service manager told me it is the owner's responsibility to ensure that the oil level doesn't go too low.

I accept that, but only within reason!! If I only lost 1qt per 3000mi, I'd be more okay with it.

Moochie

I am talking about the message and have had it a few times when it was really low on oil. Each time I've gotten this message I've checked the oil and it has been about 2 quarts low. Now I know that the message is suppose to be through the mileage but I have reset the message and it still comes back on If it remains that low. I am no jeep tech so please correct me if I am wrong but It does make sense to me that a 2007+ would only rely on a dipstick for something as important as oil

It's not based totally on mileage. It also depends on driving conditions such as heat, high RPMs, towing a trailer, lots of hill climbing, etc. When my 2008 was brand new, my oil change light came on at 1000 miles. I took it back to the dealership and they fixed it. I'll check my manual but, pretty sure the message has nothing to do with oil level. BTW, 1 quart of oil consumed per 1000 miles is the Chrysler approved usage for our vehicles.

Moochie

Well unfortunately, some ppl are recommending checking the oil at each fill up...

Service manager told me it is the owner's responsibility to ensure that the oil level doesn't go too low.

I accept that, but only within reason!! If I only lost 1qt per 3000mi, I'd be more okay with it.

When mine was consuming oil at its worst, I had to put in a quart of oil at every fill up. :(

seanb123

It's not based totally on mileage. It also depends on driving conditions such as heat, high RPMs, towing a trailer, lots of hill climbing, etc. When my 2008 was brand new, my oil change light came on at 1000 miles. I took it back to the dealership and they fixed it. I'll check my manual but, pretty sure the message has nothing to do with oil level. BTW, 1 quart of oil consumed per 1000 miles is the Chrysler approved usage for our vehicles.

Then I guess it's just happens to be a coincidence that the times mine has come on that the oil was very low

Moochie

How did you solve that

It's a long story but, after 6 months dealing with Chrysler and my lifetime power train warranty, I had to do this.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?8202-Smokey-needs-some-V8-power
If you have a warranty and are using over a quart of oil every 1000 miles, go see your dealership and they will start you on an oil consumption test. If you have no warranty you will eventually have to find another engine or rebuild what you have.

xtremefx4

I just want to know why everyone is having this problem on there 3.8? I have 53580 on my 2011 n I do my oil change every 5000 miles n I check it once a month. I never had to put oil n or does it register low? I use Valvoline 5w20 Synthetic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

utlax18

I just want to know why everyone is having this problem on there 3.8? I have 53580 on my 2011 n I do my oil change every 5000 miles n I check it once a month. I never had to put oil n or does it register low? I use Valvoline 5w20 Synthetic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have a slight oil consumption on my 07 JKU with 70K miles. I replaced the PCV valve, and also the lower intake manifold gasket as it was leaking...all out of warranty, of course! Anyhow, did that and switched to 5w-30 and ran some SeaFoam through the brake booster line and I went from a quart every 3k miles to about 1/2 qt. I am anal and afraid the JKU might explode, so I check my oil every other week.

Just my $.02

Moochie

Mine didn't use a drop until about 70,000. After this, it started to develop a thirst for the liquid black gold.

Top Bottom