Oil disapearing

StrizzyChris

The oil can't be disappearing into thin air. Any evidence of a leak on the garage floor? Tail pipe dirty and oily? Spark plugs showing signs of fouling/and or signs of oil residue?
This kind of consumption is NOT normal or acceptable in my opinion. Sounds like Chrysler is giving you the run around.

My guess would be head gasket or piston ring allowing blow by

For sure, 4.5 quarts per 1000 miles is not acceptable. My JK has close to 70,000 miles on it with the lifetime power train warranty. So far so good with my dealership. Still doing oil consumption test and waiting for word from Chrysler on the next move. My main concern are the 37" tires that might cause issues with the warranty.

No leaks, just a small amount of smoke on downshifts that can be seen from the rear.

I read somewhere, that there is a law against modifications being used to void a waranty unless it is directly attatched to affected area. i.e. replacing injectors will void engine waranty. Doesnt mean they wont try to say its your fault. Has anyone else read/heard this or am I imagining this?

Zambi

You are correct on that chris. The warranty will only be voided in the are changed i.e. suspension warranty voided by lift

MikeLisa

Talked to the service department yesterday when we carried my wife's Liberty to get serviced. I told them I had lost a qt in 3500 miles and they said they would start an oil consumption test when I bring it in next week. I talked to the salesman that has sold us 3 Jeeps and he said to let him know what they find and he will talk to the owner about it. He was trying to get me to trade for this. Thinking about it. It has the 3.6

Attachments

• image-3033895524.jpg
    image-3033895524.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 133

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Talked to the service department yesterday when we carried my wife's Liberty to get serviced. I told them I had lost a qt in 3500 miles and they said they would start an oil consumption test when I bring it in next week. I talked to the salesman that has sold us 3 Jeeps and he said to let him know what they find and he will talk to the owner about it. He was trying to get me to trade for this. Thinking about it. It has the 3.6

honestly, if you're even thinking about it, i would do it. the 3.6L is so much nicer.

cosmo11

update on our JK, called on tuesday and they told me they were re-ringing the motor, soo fingers crossed we will have no more issues, if problems persist, we may look at trading it in on a 2012 JK

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
update on our JK, called on tuesday and they told me they were re-ringing the motor, soo fingers crossed we will have no more issues, if problems persist, we may look at trading it in on a 2012 JK

hope that does the trick. moochie has been buring all kinds of oil lately too and has even tried running some lucas in his motor but, nothing easy like that seems to work.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Marvel Mystery Oil?

Had an Audi that made all sorts of racket and burned oil. Threw some of this in there (when I remembered it) and she drove like a champ!

Edit: I am no mechanic.

MikeLisa

Started my oil consumption test today. Have to go back in 1000 miles for them to check. Had tech tell me the last one they did they could never find where it was going and replaced the motor. So waiting to see what happens.

Moochie

MikeLisa said:
Started my oil consumption test today. Have to go back in 1000 miles for them to check. Had tech tell me the last one they did they could never find where it was going and replaced the motor. So waiting to see what happens.

I can't go 1000 miles with out adding oil. I would be almost 4 quarts low by then. I need to go back every 400 miles to have it topped off.

MikeLisa

Moochie said:
I can't go 1000 miles with out adding oil. I would be almost 4 quarts low by then. I need to go back every 400 miles to have it topped off.

I had the salesman that sold it to me tell me to let him know what they find. He got my wife a new Liberty when her transmission went out at 19000 on her old Liberty.

MTG

Caught the Bug
MikeLisa said:

It was going into the owner's syphon who was hoping for a new engine. ;)

Good luck with the test. Hopefully they figure it out!

cosmo11

got the jeep back monday, runs good,, they told me the #4 and 6 cylinder ring was stuck to the piston causing the oil consumption, this morning i go out and their is oil between the motor and tranny, so she goes back tomarow

cosmo11

not a good day guys, i have put just under 300 miles on the motor and, leaking oil, engine is knocking,smokes5 to 10 second at startup, and missing out bad. told them all this and he said we'll just go ahead and put another block in it.:mad:,,why did you not do that before.

StrizzyChris

got the jeep back monday, runs good,, they told me the #4 and 6 cylinder ring was stuck to the piston causing the oil consumption, this morning i go out and their is oil between the motor and tranny, so she goes back tomarow

refer to post #21 :thankyou:

MikeLisa

Been checking my oil regularly since last oil change and evidently they didn"t properly fill it last time. It has been 2500 miles since last change. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that right now.

cosmo11

well here i am again so agravated, you have seen my post, jeep is running good brand new motor took her in for the first oil change on it's second motor, and its 2 quarts low on the first 3000 miles WTF:mad::mad: they seem to want to work with me but they said let do one more oil comsumpsion test, and then we will see.

jeeeep

Hooked
mine hit 76000 miles and last trip I had to put 2 qrts in it after about 3500 miles, watching it closer now, also change from 5w-20 to slightly heavier oil...need to make it last a bit longer and then LS conversion!
thanks to Eddie -I was originally planning a Hemi but after his LS announcement I begin researching and well....plans changed

Top Bottom