Okay JK tech gurus, time to fire up your crystal balls for me.

dillard09

I once had a piece of plastic shopping bag get caught up on my exhaust and kinda melted. It had a very weird burning smell to it. Hard to find as it somehow ended up on top of my muffler.

kpig

Check the driveshaft boots if stock. If torn it might throw lube onto the undercarriage. Freshly greased aftermarket driveshaft too possibly. Just throwing ideas. Chupacabra works too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I once had a piece of plastic shopping bag get caught up on my exhaust and kinda melted. It had a very weird burning smell to it. Hard to find as it somehow ended up on top of my muffler.

You know, thinking about this, is there any chance the OP installed a new muffler and maybe forgot to remove the protective plastic on it? I know of another member who did this and he had a funny smell afterwards.

Jaydoc1

Check the driveshaft boots if stock. If torn it might throw lube onto the undercarriage. Freshly greased aftermarket driveshaft too possibly. Just throwing ideas. Chupacabra works too.

When new, my aftermarket shaft DID do this. That was quite awhile ago, though.

Jaydoc1

You know, thinking about this, is there any chance the OP installed a new muffler and maybe forgot to remove the protective plastic on it? I know of another member who did this and he had a funny smell afterwards.

Stock. And even if I had done something like that would I seriously admit to it at this point? ;)

JAGS

Hooked
Did you recently paint anything, change/top off fluids or change out brake pads? Grasping at straws at the point.

Jaydoc1

image-660180337.jpg

Hopefully we'll find out something. Not guessing any light will be shed on the odor in question, though.

Jaydoc1

Forgot to report. While no source for the smell was ever found (and hasn't happened since) they did discover that my transmission cooler had bought the farm. They replaced that and it has been smooth sailing since. No more temp problems.

Top Bottom